“Hostel being ran into the ground!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of City Travellers Auckland

City Travellers Auckland
Ranked #66 of 107 Specialty Lodging in Auckland
athlone
“Hostel being ran into the ground!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

Stayed here for too long! Could get over the cochroaches but got bitten by fleas! That was final straw! They were aware of the cochroaches!as I showed them a pic cause I wasn't sure what they were! You go to get a plate could find one dead on it or running around! Cleaning was poor! Didn't clean the bathroom! Just replaced the toilet roll and towel for the floor!never checked food presses when people left! Shower door full of mould! The roof in 3 bed dorm full of mould! Took weeks to replace a bulb! Leak from toilet sink went under the carpet n smelled and eventually someone came to look at but still leaked the smell still was there. The people that brought in the fleas were told to clean there clothes! Nothing else was treated like couch or beds!We were not told n then we got bitten n then were blamed for not telling them we got bitten!! It was our fault! After complained they treated the couch! Too little to late!only changed the sheets in bed! Not the blanket! They damage was done n it could be breading as I write this! I wasn't expecting 4* standards but a basic level of service! Is a clean bed, clean bathroom n a clean kitchen

• Stayed February 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Ranzolin, Manager at City Travellers Auckland, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear Guest

We appreciate your feedback and review and for bringing all of the above it to our attention as we have worked hard on these and I can safely say all has now been recitified and monitored on a daily basis.

Ranz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

A great base for our first few nights in NZ. Easy walking distance to everywhere that we wanted to go in Auckland, and it was nice to have our own kitchen and bathroom. Price was very reasonable for being so central, although the bathroom was a little worn out it was all clean and very good value for money.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nicola F
Ranzolin, Manager at City Travellers Auckland, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and we certainly appreciate you taking the time to write about us, Safe travels!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

Ranz has the driest sense of humour ever (typical kiwi) and is very helpful. Ahmed is also the sweetest guy ever. I love how he calls the ladies maam. The hostel is chilled out and there are a lot of long term guests which is good when it comes to making lifetime friends.

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Maam

We certainly thank you for your review and i will work on my humour for sure, we do pride ourselves that we are not the 24 hr dance partying hostel which does in most cases works for us.

Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

Stayed here for two nights recently and fortunately we were only there to sleep as we were in town for a wedding and to see family.
Our first impression was a ten-minute wait at reception (along with seven other people trying to either check in, check out, or pick up stored luggage) at 3pm, when reception was meant to be open. There was no one there. One guy tried ringing the bell at the main entrance and my companion made two calls on our cell phone (at our expense, of course) to both the manager and assistant manager's cell phones. Neither was answering. An Aussie guy and Polynesian woman told us "They're never here when you need them."
After about ten minutes one of them called my husband back, and then suddenly appeared through a doorway down the hall. No apology to any of us for the wait, and no explanation.
Our double room with ensuite was fairly clean but small pieces of plastic (from tags on newly bought clothing) all over the carpet suggested it had not been vacuumed or vacuumed only sloppily since the previous guests had left.
The bathroom was the size of a cupboard, with a tatty old vanity that had water damage on the front and a toilet that constantly gurgled and filled (something wrong with the cistern??) and was so noisy we kept the bathroom door shut at all times.
The catch on our window was broken, making it extremely difficult to shut the window, and at least one light bulb did not work.
They were too cheap to even provide hand soap in the bathroom and we only got 1/3 of a roll of loo paper and no replacement roll.
The sheets were clean and the bed was comfy. The shower pressure was good and the bathroom was clean. But overall, the room was tatty and needed a coat of paint and several things needed fixing or replacing - the toilet, the window catch, the ligthbulb and the vanity. The bathroom didn't appear to have any ventilation (no fan).
Like I said, it was lucky we only slept here. Would not stay again or recommend. For about $40 more you can find much nicer studio apartment accomodation in central Auckland, and for the same price, I am sure there are hostels with private rooms that are more modern and comfortable and better looked after.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank harbourgirl_11
Dear Guest

We appreciated all your comments and thank you for your time taken to review us and we have noted down areas of concern and have rectified this being the toilet cistern, window latch and also the light bulbs.

Others we will certainly look into however thank you once again for your review.

Oswiecim, Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

I had originally booked a dorm room on Expedia but was a becoming a bit sick and wanted a private room to recover in. I called from the airport and asked if I could upgrade to a private room and they said it would not be a problem. I arrived a bit after reception hours due to my late flight but I rang the bell and the manager came down to assist me. I informed him that I had called about the upgrade and he did some calculations and included the internet package I asked for and I paid him the difference.

I took the elevator up to my room which was a nice en suite studio, it included a refridgerator, range and kettle. The bed was a nice size too, I believe it was a queen or king. I also had a flatscreen TV, table and chairs and a wardrobe to put my clothes. The room was reasonably clean and I was able to get some good nights rest to help me recover. The location was not bad and just a bit of a walk to the grocery store and some of the attractions in the CBD. Overall it seemed to be a decent place to get my bearings and explore Auckland.

The only issue I ran into with my stay here was the additional fee I was charged for the room upgrade. I discovered that if I had booked online the price would have been about $80 USD cheaper than what I was charged at reception. I alerted the manager and he said that the prices had recently changed due to the Rugby World Cup and there was nothing he could do about it. I decided to take some screenshots and emailed him back to show that the prices had not changed and it would have been possible for me to rebook the remaining nights at a discount if done online. He still didn't care and would not budge on his decision even after I explained that I could have rebooked in the lobby via the internet and reception should have had the same numbers. I had debated on taking them to small claims court but chose to forget it since this was supposed to be my vacation, I was pretty upset about the whole ordeal and felt they should have been more understanding.

Room Tip: Book via Expedia.com (or Expedia.co.nz) instead of via reception if you want the best rate.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ranzolin, Manager at City Travellers Auckland, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Dear Guest

We appreciate your feedback and the time taken to write an honest review.

Brecon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

Stayed here on three separate occasions and would thoroughly recommend. The manager is a very helpful sound guy and all the other staff are very friendly. A great place to stay if you have just landed in NZ or leaving NZ. Would highly recommended the apartments..they have there own bathrooms with decent showers, cooking facility, fridge, flat screen TV's and beds are very comfortable too!

Room Tip: Go for an apartment there not much more than a dorm room!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Appreciate your feedback and report and will have a look at your tip also with regards to pricing between dorm and studios.

We wish you safe travels and hope to see you again someday!

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at City Travellers for 4 days in November. We stayed in an en suite room with our own kitchen, complete with microwave, fridge, jug, cookwares, plates, utensils etc. Everything you need to prepare a good meal. I was surprised with how spacious our room is for the price we paid ( 63 NZD per day-promo for 3 nights+1 night free). The room was definitely much better than some 4-star hotels we've stayed in. It was clean, cool, light, airy as there are 2 huge windows that look through Anzac Ave and which you can open to let fresh cool air in . It was quite though we were beside the road. The place was walking distance to Queens St. and there is Countdown supermarket down the road. We were able to cook what we like during our entire stay. The staff were nice and friendly and even helped us with our internet issue even after office hours.

I will definitely stay in this place again and I can recommend it to anyone who wants value for money accommodation in Central Auckland.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your time and we appreciate all feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to hosting you in the future.

Best regards