Attic Backpackers
Grand Millennium Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$111
$96
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
SKYCITY Grand Hotel(Auckland Central)
$156
$222
$210
Hilton
  • Restaurant
Cordis, Auckland by Langham Hospitality Group(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$114
$103
  • Restaurant
Scenic Hotel Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$103
  • Breakfast included
$193
$184
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$114
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
CityLife Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$205
$131
  • Pool
All reviewshair straightenersgreat locationnew zealandbed dormprivate twin roomfree tea and coffeebig kitchengreat kitchenfifth floorclean kitchencommunal areassky towerfree wifiquiet at nightgreat facilitiesqueen streetenjoyed my stay
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I came to New Zealand to look for work and after rocking up on Attic's doorstep without prior booking they were fortunately able to accommodate me, for which I consider myself very lucky. The hostel facilities are very clean and tidy and the staff are always friendly and helpful. Rooms are reasonable size with comfortable beds and duvets. The Kitchen is big and spacious with 4 hobs and two cookers which is a rare facility in hostels... its nice to be able to roast the famous kiwi sweet potatoes. The guests at the hostel including long termers are all very friendly and I didn't struggle to make any friends. My only qualm is that Wifi and computer access is a little expensive at $5 for 3 hours. Other than that I would consider this Hostel a very good place to stay in Auckland.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
PonsonbyBackpackers1, Manager at Attic Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to leave your awesome feedback! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us :-) We do offer a free 3 hour wifi on checkin which we feel is a good bonus as most hostels don't even offer this and the prices there-after are fairly reasonable. We are always looking on ways to improve, so thanks :-) Hope to see you next time you are in Auckland! Cheers-The Attic Team

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Cleanliness, location, safety and friendliness of staff/other guests is what's most important to me when picking a hostel and Attic Backpackers aced all categories in my opinion. Stayed here for a couple nights upon arriving to Auckland. Staff was friendly, the place was clean and rooms were spacious. Never had to wait for a shower or bathroom and they even have a hair dryer and straightener. They have free lockers you can access 24/7 which are big enough to fit a small backpack-never really worried about my stuff though. They seemed to have good security.

Location is great-easy to get to from the airport on public transportation and right in the center of the city-We walked everywhere from the hostel. Definitely a younger crowd in the dorms, but overall didn't seem like a huge "party hostel" like some of the others we walked by. Not too noisy at night. Everyone was social and friendly. Huge kitchen and lots of common area space to hang out in-even an outdoor porch area.
We had an extra night in Auckland and chose to come back here-rates are reasonable and location unbeatable! Thanks Atttic Backpackers!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Katie B

Hey Katie! Thanks for taking the time to leave your impressive feedback :-) It's fantastic to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us! Please make sure that you come and visit us again should you return to Auckland. Enjoy your travels, Cheers-The Attic Team

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Loved staying at this hostel. Felt like home. :) Stayed here for about 10 days. Always kept clean and tidy. Helpful staff. Only downside of it was the wifi wasn't working properly and logging in and out was a pain! But overall it's great and would recommend to anyone! :) Thanks guys.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Becci B
PonsonbyBackpackers1, Manager at Attic Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Hi Becci,

Thanks for your review! It's lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and found the hostel to be kept clean and tidy, we try our best! :-) Sorry to hear that you had troubles with the wifi, we are getting this fixed and we hope it didn't affect your stay too much! Hope you enjoy the rest of your travels!

Cheers, The Attic Team

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Worst hostel experience ever! 31th of march
I had a flight from Santiago to Auckland, arrived at the airport at 6 in the morning, met a german couple, who had a reservation for the Attic. As I had no hostel booked yet I decided to join them and went with them to the Attic. First, the reception wasn´t opened, according to the couple it was 24hours as they wrote a message that they would arrive early in the morning.
We got in there through a guest, the elevator didn´t work, the hostel is in the 5th floor of an old shabby industrial building, so it was quite difficult to get all the stuff up. Finally at the fifth floor, there was a man cleaning and I asked him in a very polite manner if he knew by chance if there would be rooms available as I had no reservation yet. He said he didn´t know, I should check online (there were computers, but he had no code or didn´t want to give me a code) or come back at 8 and that I had to leave the building immediately as I am not a guest.
I asked if I could stay at least in the reception area till 8 with the german couple as I have the suitcase and a backpack and I don´t want to walk around with that on the street and he said in a very rude tone absolutely no and he would call the police if I would not leave the building, he said I would be a risk for the security of other people being there (no kidding) and that I could be anyone of the street. I agree in a sort of way, but I suppose when you work in a hostel for a time you know how people look who might cause a security problem and I definitelythink don´t look at all like this, the german couple laughed when I told them what happened (ok, he doesn´t know, I work for the state and my security record is without anything!) The german couple also had to leave, although they had a reservation.
I wanted to come back later then and as avoiding furthermore trouble I left the building, but left my suitcase in the hostel with the stuff of the germans in order to not get it down from the 5th floor and later up again.
At 8.30h we got back to the hostel. Meanwhile I organized another room at another hostel around the corner. I went to the reception to complain about being the rudeness of the cleaning staff. They said he only did his job, which I respect, but I intervened that at least people who were looking for a accommodation at that place might be treated a little bit friendlier. The guy didn´t agree and then told me to leave the building as there is no further business for me here. As I had my suitcase at the corner I went to get my suitcase. The guy than got angry, yelled at me and used some profane words which I can´t quote here and language and gesture told me to better leave as quick as possible. I said I only get my luggage and then he demanded 20 Dollars for luggage storing (which he seconds later dropped after I took a deep breath) repeating once again with bad words I should leave as soon as possible.
I don´t know how the german couple will do there, I couldn´t even say good bye to them because he approached me with his body pumped up and looked like he was going to throw me out personally, additionally mentioning police and fine and so on.
I traveled for three and a half months through South America and I have been at a lot of hostels, but I have never had such a bad experience at any place before, even not close as bad.
Maybe the place is nice, I didn´t have a chance to experience, but in my whole life I´ve never seen staff that unfriendly. I can´t even think about having met people in my life with such a bad vibe.
Jörg from Frankfurt

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
8  Thank joergffm

Hi Jorg,

We are very disappointed to see that you have taken to tripadvisor to leave us a bad review after;
1. You did not even stay with us.
2. Were asked to leave when you trespassed into the building our of hours.
3. Have totally fabricated the truth in regards to what actually happened.

The couple that you in fact followed through the door would have had an email from us o booking which states are opening hours which are clearly not 24 hours and they (if notifying us of out of hours arrival) would have been given directions and information regarding late/early checkin.

The elevator was in fact working, it is a manual lift, you have to open both of the doors on entry and departure, perhaps that's where you struggled. We would most definitely NOT class our building as ''old and shabby'' the hostel itself has undergone renovation and is often praised for it's cleanliness, brightness and general feel, plus the beautiful building we are situated in is an Auckland landmark.

The first staff member that you encountered is one of our friendliest and most helpful staff members so I find it extremely hard to believe that he was rude to you in the manner in which you have presented- the reason that you later complained about him is because he asked you to leave the building as you did not have a reservation (it is your responsibility to book ahead, ESPECIALLY when arriving at an unsociable hour and we need to know who is in the building at all times, standard security). He was totally in the right in asking you to leave, and I'm sorry, but of course he was not going to allow you to use our computers/wifi to look for accommodation when you hadn't made a booking, sorry-we are not a Mcdonalds outlet or a starbucks. He did not have access to reception and this is why he wasn't able to check availability for you; again, you are blaming us and our team for the fact that you did not get more organised before hand and book a room. The couple that had a reservation were not asked to leave, they had a booking and had been given access to the building, you had not. They had every right to be there, you did not. We have since received no complaints or bad feedback from them personally- only you (the one who didn't stay or book to stay I might add).

When you came back, you then proceeded to get fairly aggressive towards our reception staff, complaining that you had been asked to leave (when you hadn't made a booking, no kidding!) and if you'd already made a booking elsewhere, it was odd to us that you'd come back, which is where the confusion also came as to what your belongings were doing there. Again it's your own responsibility to sort yourself out and book before hand- at any hostel, not just ours. I've travelled a lot too and rule no1, don't take with you what you can not carry. So if you couldn't carry your luggage with you when searching for accommodation, then don't bring it with you. When you were asked for a $20 storage fee, this was said in jest as a joke as to be quite frank, no one could believe that you were so rude and so bold to think that you were in the right and the chain of events that morning were at all our fault and not your own.

In response to your final comments; we have been running hostels for 4 years and have never had to deal with someone behave in such a manner, especially when they have trespassed onto the property. I guess it was a day of firsts all round....

We sincerely hope that you will enjoy the rest of your travels and will think to book hostels ahead when arriving very early in the morning. Good luck.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed at this hostel whilst I was in Auckland, when I first arrived one of the staff members was extremely helpful and friendly. I would praise him in person if I could!
Very comfortable beds, clean, well kept, modern and social. The kitchen was very stylish, well equipped, it had a piano which is always a bonus! The lounge was attached to the kitchen, with sky tv and good sofas. it's a shame such a welcoming kitchen closes at 11pm but i guess it's for cleanliness reasons etc.

The only negative point is that one of the staff memebers at reception was extremely rude to me on a few occasions, and they really shouldn't be working in the hospitality buisness, as being rude to customers does not create a good reputation or make the stay enjoyable for the customer. However, all of the positive aspects make it easy to look past the negative, As it really is a fantastic one, the best in Auckland, make sure you book in advance as they fill up quickly!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Alex M

Hi Alex,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our comfy beds, cleanliness of the hostel and general ambiance. :-) We are also pleased to hear that you enjoyed having use of the piano during your stay, though to be honest we did receive a few complaints from guests that did get a little irritated by you playing the same tune relentlessly. You are correct, we do close the kitchen at 11pm so that we can clean it thoroughly every night. :-) I did email you regarding your comments about the staff member that you did not have a good experience with, however have not heard anything back. Having spoken to several members of staff, I have learned that unfortunately we did have issues with you during your departure; you checked out in the morning and then continued to use the facilities all of the rest of the day and then when asked to leave by a member of staff at 5pm (usually we allow guests to stay up until midday, which is fair) you were quite rude and careless about being in the wrong and would not leave straight away when politely asked. We believe that all of our staff members are assets to our team and each are suited to work in hospitality. We do still hope you will visit us next time you are in Auckland and thanks for calling us the best in Auckland, it's much appreciated!

Enjoy your travels, Cheers The Attic Team