“Cheery hostel, great location, great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of BK Hostel

BK Hostel
Ranked #51 of 108 Specialty Lodging in Auckland
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Cheery hostel, great location, great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

All in all a very pleasant and comfortable stay combine with great location to make this excellent value for money. The communal spaces, including a great lounge, gives this place a surprisingly homely feel, considering the central location building. I stayed for 3 nights and would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank nikkijbmoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

Stayed in this hostel for two nights. The location is ok. Could be better but if you don't mind walking, the city is in your reach.

The hostel is a bit worn down but ok, the staff are helpful and nice and prepared to keep the office open if you're arriving late. The kitchen is (as they attend to be) a little bit messy and the pots and pans have seen their best days ages ago.

Our room (219) was very basic but it smelled like something had died there recently. The room was also very noisy as it was located near downstairs club or pub that played dancemusic all night and I mean ALL night! Have seen more affordable and better hostels than this one.

Wi-fi was also missing. Luckily we found one in a really nice cafe near by called Alleluya. So if you're staying in this hostel and enjoy a good cup of europeanly made cofee and need wi-fi, it's the place for you.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank HanneSofia
los angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

Stayed here for two weeks and began filling itchy at night

One night I noticed two bed bugs

I complained to the owners and they said they wanted to see proof. "be a man catch them and show me"

I was a little disgusted with how they treated this. wasn't making any of this up

the hostel is otherwise clean but the owner didn't really care that I had bed bugs. My sheets were changed but that still didn't really solve the problem

thankfully I did not bring any back home!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank x y
Euntaek Y, Owner at BK Hostel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
We have not had, nor do we currently have, bed bugs in BK Hostel. We periodically perform preventative pest control in every room and clean the common areas daily. Our friendly staff is always willing to help should any guest have a problem during the stay.

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed in this hostel in the New Zealand summer of last year.What a wonderful place to stay!The location is absolutely perfect-so central to all the amenities of Auckland city,like restaurants,cafes,shops etc!The hostel itself is immaculately clean,something which I value highly wherever I stay.They have kitchens and a large lounge where u can view some of their many dvds etc.The room rates really impressed me as well.U really get great value for money here and the rooms are so lovely!They have a LIFT,so no need to struggle with your suitcase upstairs either!All in all one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in!Wonderful for making friends too!

Room Tip: All rooms are immaculate!I loved the twin room with window though.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Worldtraveller392
Suva, Fiji
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

I stayed for 3 nights at bk hostel. The staff is very nice and helpful concerning your self organization. I didn't meet a crack on transport possibilities, local tipps for day trips, etc., though.
The rooms and beds are rather small, clean and sufficient. Also bathrooms and showers are kept very clean.
The internet (tomizone hotspots on the street) only works on the street side, which on the weekends gets very noisy throughout the night. I took a room on the opposite side and skyped from the common social areas.
There is a kitchen, you can always cook, make tea, etc.
The "living room" is a jewel, terribly comfortable - you don't even want to leave the room and see the city. It's got a pool table, TV and DVDs, games, books.
Around the hostel, there are super nice cafes, restaurants, some convenience stores. Directly opposite, there is a club - I heard the bass when I got up at 7 on a Sunday morning ;) I'd say, it's all taken care of an bk is a save bet - even though other hostels are surely further in city center or even offer their own internet supply. It's costly everywhere, though. NZ is a very expensive country and from this regard, I guess, the price is reasonable.
I would definately go back, because I prefer not to stay in the city center (5 min walk), I enjoyed the living room, and there are the best cafes around.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank bjocht
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2011

Me and my partner stayed here for 2 nights before flying home. We chose a room without windows as it was cheaper but ended up sleeping into the afternoon as we forgot to set an alarm and had no sunlight to wake us up! Still, the beds were obviously comfy if we slept that long!
The hostel is in a great location near cafes, restaurants, and really cool shops.

The hostel was really clean! The rooms were spotless and the kitchen was always perfect.

The staff were really friendly and helpful.

Will definitely stay here again next time we're in Auckland.

Room Tip: Get a window if you can afford it!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sam_fleming
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

My partner and I stayed in BK hostel from October 2009 to Sept 2010 on and off whilst travelling in and around New Zealand, our longest stint was 4 months. BK hostel is clean, friendly and in a fantastic location. The owner was so helpful and is always about for any questions about the area or things to do. The rooms are clean and of a basic standard, but what more do you need than a bed and storage space. The hostel is located on Karangehape Road which is a mere 5 minute walk to the main CBD of Auckland, shops, restaurants and bars and the airport bus picks up down the road. I will definitely be going back when I return to New Zealand and very much look forward to staying there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple