“Not so cheap”

Ranked #60 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Canberra, Australia
“Not so cheap”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

The hotel was very clean and Reception was friendly. However, not good value for price. Very spartan. Uncomfortable bed. If you are just after a bed close to airport, it is ok. Room was hot with no fly screens so had to keep windows shut to keep bugs out. No A/C. It's for sale and it's obvious owner is trying to keep costs down. Better value elsewhere.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

The Auckland Newmarket Motel is in quite a convenient position from Auckland on Manukau Road in Epsom. The motel has been very good value for our money. When we return to Auckland again we will have no hesitation to re-book a motel room there.

Three of us stayed for two nights in a motel room there with very spacious bedroom that has a comfortable clean queen bed and a similarly comfortable single bed. There was a kitchen with all the utensils and kitchenware required to prepare, cook and enjoy our own meals - including a hotplate crockpot and microwave oven, and bar fridge. This made dinners very cheap!!! We didn't have to go out to a restaurant.The bathroom was clean and spacious; it had nice clean towels and toiletries for our use. We were treated very kindly by the owners who were very, very personable and who were also very generous with their time in attending to any of our needs. Nice people!!

Thank you to Sarah, to Wat and to your team!

Sincerely from Nando, Nicole and Michael of Perth

Room Tip: Ask Wat or Sarah to show you their rooms. Give them the opportunity to make your stay a good and me...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

I was greeted at reception by a stale odour, and after several minutes of waiting an individual entered who greeted me with YES, no hello, no smile, no welcome of any kind, just YES. After finally sorting out the key (a friend from out of Auckland had booked and paid for the room, which led to great confusion and the sense on my part that I was in some way suspected of being up to no good as I was asking for a key before they arrived) and after asking if there was milk, I was told no there wasn’t any I then had to ask for some which led to me being handed a small jug of milk – not a sealed container. I was given directions to the room and headed out through another door to be confronted by numerous bags of laundry (no idea if it was clean or dirty, but it was spilling out of the bags), several rubbish bags and unfinished bottle of drinks taking up space on the footpath and in front of an open door into a very untidy looking store room. I opened the door into the room with trepidation – the floor was unclean in the kitchen – gritty to the touch, the carpet was stained. I put the jug of milk in the fridge, went back to reception and gave them the key back and said I am not staying here it is dirty. I have stayed within NZ and overseas in nice hotels, motels, back packers in both NZ and Australia and never have I been to a place that was so unwelcoming or so unclean and unpleasant to be in. Newmarket is an ideal place to stay central near the motorways and on the way from or to the airport, what a dreadful experience awaits anyone who books to stay here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank JAM213

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for five nights in a studio and was given a very cheap rate ($80 per night) if I only had one service.

The room is basic (as expected at this price point) but I had to ask that the room be re cleaned as there was visible dust and cobwebs in quite a few areas. The staff were obliging and did a good clean straight away.

The property is double storey and not very well insulated for noise. I stayed downstairs and footsteps and creaks are very loud. Book upstairs if you can!

All in all a very good value for money option near town, but room could have been tidier and be prepared for a bit of noise

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Cambridge, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

We thought we would try this property again having visited in April. The staff are friendly and helpful however they just don't seem to really understand the concept of value for money and attending to maintenance.

It was a cold night however the wall heater was very old and did not work, the electric blanket in the single bed had no extension cord to reach the plug which was on the other side of the room, there was a toaster but no plate for the toast, the heated towel rail did not work, noise from overhead unit (& a number of other small things).

This accommodation is well located and well priced however I don't think we will be giving it another try as there were just too many 'little' things wrong as with last time. What a pity.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room - downstairs sounds like you are living under a herd of elephants
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
New Plymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

We arrived on Sunday planning to stay 6 nights while I received some medical attention locally. This motel was recommended because it is close to the Gillies Hospital which is well within walking distance - approx 6 minutes.
This is a very good motel and we have really enjoyed our stay here. Others have mentioned the staff and so must we. They care; and they show that best by ensuring our room was serviced every other day despite advertising that the weekly rate does not include that level of service. The rate we got was for 6 nights and thereby cheaper. We found the insulation between the floors wasn't very good and sometimes it was noisy with people walking about above us. The shower in our room is excellent - good pressure and nice shower pattern and plenty of hot water.
As well as their close proximity to the medical centre they are right beside a very good Korean restaurant, an Italian restaurant, an Indian and a Hell's Pizza. I'm going to write up the Italian one ; its really good.
Despite being quite basic we'd stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
new zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I arrived early and the staff prepared a room immediately. The TV channels weren't properly programmed and the staff made efforts to rectify and gave additional wifi time. While the wifi needs to be paid for after the first free hour, I feel the hotel would do better to provide a free wifi service. The hotel is basic, clean and provides simple facilities: microwave, kettle, tea, coffee, milk. The TV channels do have quite a limited range of choice, some quite strange and of little broad interest: live Parliament debates as an example. The location is very good: ready access to the airport, central city and a number of reasonable restaurants in walking distance. Street noise is not an issue.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are probably quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo