“Disorganised, rude staff - kept adding extra costs over the quoted price!”

Waldorf Tetra Serviced Apartments
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The building and decor were good, nice and new(ish) and clean. The location was also fine if you don't mind heading straight up a steep hill on your way back from the city.

However, the staff here were completely disorganised - there were never fewer than about four people waiting every time I went to the front desk - the staff were looking for receipts, recoding access cards, all of this whilst moving very slowly. There was plenty of frustrated sighing as everyone waited their turn in the small lobby.

Next, I openly admit I made an error in my original booking, meaning that I needed to add an extra night to my stay when I arrived. To accommodate this, I was moved from the 11th floor to a room on the ground floor, which ended up being very hot and looked out at a brick wall a couple of metres away. I figured this was ok though as I had made the original error and could put up with an average room because of it. I paid $120 more than my original booking amount, went to my room and forgot about it.

Next thing I know, the day before I am supposed to leave, I got two phone calls from the hotel - telling me I had to get my stuff out because I was meant to check out today - I checked my booking documents and told them that no, I was staying another night. I got another phone call back and was told it was their mistake, not to worry, all sorted.

Of course, that wasn't the end of it. When I came to check out the next day I was told I had another $120 to pay 'for the extra night' !!

I was getting pretty frustrated with their lack of organisation by this time, and explained YET AGAIN what had happened (pretty sure I spoke to the same guy every time, but he never seemed to remember). He then insisted I still owed them the $120, and when I checked the bill it was still only dated for the original number of nights. So the receipt hadn't been updated even though I had paid the extra $120 at the start. Another mistake of theirs. Then, he tried telling me that the mistake was that I hadn't been charged the 'surcharge' for staying when Justin Bieber was in town (the very first night of the trip!). And apparently the price for that one night was an extra $120! How convenient and also ridiculous! $240 a night in a room looking at a brick wall with no airconditioning and no cleaning service at all??

He wouldn't back down and was really quite rude about it, so I had to pay ANOTHER $120 more than I was expecting.

Considering that the original price quoted to me on Booking.com was $103 a night, I was really unhappy with this - could have stayed somewhere much better, nicer, with room cleaning, and closer to town for this price!

I would NEVER stay here again!

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor at all costs - airless and hot, views of a brick wall. Terrible.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Alex C

Reviewed December 1, 2013

My daughter and I stayed three nights in early November 2013 I selected superior one bedroom apartment and we were on the 7h floor, . First impressions were of a very clean, well appointed room. No noise to speak of, helped I am sure by being high in the building and away from the street. We had free internet service.The reception staff were very helpfull, and the .carpark reasonable at $20 per night. Location great and handy to the city. I found the bianco to be very good value at a good price and would definitely stay again.

3  Thank dantongary
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Room was tired, tiny and had no air conditioning. Staff were hard working but I think they were overwhelmed at times making the wait in the lobby far too long.
At the time I booked, looking at the pictures on line, it felt like we got a good deal but after staying there the "cheap" rate was actually about what the room was worth.
Someone had tampered with the smoke alarm, putting a plastic bag over the sensor, I assume so they could smoke in the room. No smell of smoke but it made me uncomfortable that the alarm might not have been working when I noticed it the next day.
Curtains did not fit so light came in early in the morning waking us up.
Lack of WiFi was frustrating.

1  Thank cameragod
Reviewed November 24, 2013

we have stayed for about 3 weeks in a large 1 bedroom & 2 bathroom apartment on level 10 of the Tetra Waldorf Complex. It was quite good value as we got weekly rtaes and the location was magic- near everywhere when we had to be during our 2 weeks stay.Good security complex and good cheap internet service. The apartment was fully furnished and with reasonable size kitchen.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank g0lden75
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Wish we hadn't stayed here. On the map it looked like a good spot (it is) and online it looked like good value (it is not). Poor value for a run-down apartment which was nothing like what was advertised. Extra mystery charges from the Waldorf have appeared on my credit card after we left Auckland - not cool. I don't mind cheap, but I do mind feeling conned and taken for a ride. This was a poor experience. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
WaldorfStadium, Manager at Waldorf Tetra Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

We regret the fact that you have not been satisfied with your stay. With regard to the "mystery charge"- as explained on check in it was a security card deposit which will be refunded to your account by your bank- it takes up to 3-4 days for the refund to be recorded in your staement

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed here whilst attending a show in central Auckland. For the price you pay, this place is really good value in offering accommodation close to Queen Street with spacious rooms, although the fittings are very basic and alot of the rooms have a view of a stairwell. As long as you're not looking for something fancy, would recommend for space and value.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view (some looks across to the sky tower and harbour bridge), to avoid the bright...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OrangeKiwi14
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We made the right choice by staying in Sept 2013 in this lovely place in Auckland Central area.It was very central and within great short access to most of the area that the family wanted to visit. Very modern, secured complex with spacious fully furnished 2 bedroom hotel apartment.We had a reasonable size kitchen, internal laundry, very good WiFi service and great clean accommodation for 4 nights with delicious coffee shop breakfast .in the morning . Very reasonable price for a family of 4 stay in a great location.The hotel staff was very friendly and cooperative

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family