The building and decor were good, nice and new(ish) and clean. The location was also fine if you don't mind heading straight up a steep hill on your way back from the city.
However, the staff here were completely disorganised - there were never fewer than about four people waiting every time I went to the front desk - the staff were looking for receipts, recoding access cards, all of this whilst moving very slowly. There was plenty of frustrated sighing as everyone waited their turn in the small lobby.
Next, I openly admit I made an error in my original booking, meaning that I needed to add an extra night to my stay when I arrived. To accommodate this, I was moved from the 11th floor to a room on the ground floor, which ended up being very hot and looked out at a brick wall a couple of metres away. I figured this was ok though as I had made the original error and could put up with an average room because of it. I paid $120 more than my original booking amount, went to my room and forgot about it.
Next thing I know, the day before I am supposed to leave, I got two phone calls from the hotel - telling me I had to get my stuff out because I was meant to check out today - I checked my booking documents and told them that no, I was staying another night. I got another phone call back and was told it was their mistake, not to worry, all sorted.
Of course, that wasn't the end of it. When I came to check out the next day I was told I had another $120 to pay 'for the extra night' !!
I was getting pretty frustrated with their lack of organisation by this time, and explained YET AGAIN what had happened (pretty sure I spoke to the same guy every time, but he never seemed to remember). He then insisted I still owed them the $120, and when I checked the bill it was still only dated for the original number of nights. So the receipt hadn't been updated even though I had paid the extra $120 at the start. Another mistake of theirs. Then, he tried telling me that the mistake was that I hadn't been charged the 'surcharge' for staying when Justin Bieber was in town (the very first night of the trip!). And apparently the price for that one night was an extra $120! How convenient and also ridiculous! $240 a night in a room looking at a brick wall with no airconditioning and no cleaning service at all??
He wouldn't back down and was really quite rude about it, so I had to pay ANOTHER $120 more than I was expecting.
Considering that the original price quoted to me on Booking.com was $103 a night, I was really unhappy with this - could have stayed somewhere much better, nicer, with room cleaning, and closer to town for this price!
I would NEVER stay here again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waldorf Tetra offers affordable self-contained apartment accommodation in central Auckland. Located within walking distance to Auckland and AUT Universities it is a great location for students as well as tourists, as all of Auckland CBD's main attractions are easily accessible from the Waldorf Tetra. In room kitchenette's allow guests to self-cater with cutlery and cooking utensils provided in room. Guests can purchase groceries from one of the local markets to cook in-room or enjoy experiencing some of the great fine or casual dining options available throughout Auckland City. Conveniently located on the ground floor of Waldorf Tetra is a cafe serving breakfast Monday to Friday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Waldorf Tetra Serviced Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tetra Waldorf Budget Apartments Hotel Auckland Central
- Waldorf Tetra Serviced Apartments Auckland, New Zealand