“A bit tatty but comfortable, friendly and very good value”
Review of Yaping House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Yaping House
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I started and ended my trip to New Zealand at the Yaping. It's located in a large, rambling house with a lovely view over the city. The house is a bit tatty, in need of redecorating, but perfectly comfortable. The owners are friendly and helpful - they even greeted me with a Christmas present! I slept well in a comfortable bed with no noise from other rooms. Only $36 - an absolute bargain. I'd certainly stay there next time I'm in Auckland.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank D8077SFrichardG

Reviewed March 4, 2013

By far the worse place I have ever stayed at in my life way overdue a overhaul in every way ...the toilet was disgusting it was never clean although the other guests were mainly to fault but at the same time the management should of cleaned on a more regular basis and if someone had the washing machine on u had a cold shower the kitchen I can't comment on because I wouldn't use it just passed thru on the way to the washing machine which also wasn't anything to write home about ,the bedroom was crowded with useless furniture and the bed was like nothing I have ever slept in I didn't have a decent nights sleep in the two weeks I stayed there, the only good point was the view from the front door over the city ..... In a word hellhole !!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PNMaher
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a few weeks to save a bit if money. Mount Eden is nice and quiet and only a 20 min bus ride into town. Nice walk up the old volcano behind the hostel.

If your in any way fussy you won't like this place, if your happy to make do on a budget then you'll be fine.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Sunseekers_774
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This place is a long way from Auckland central as stated. Good views and nice English guy on desk. But thats all the good I can say about it. This place has heaps of potential but badly run down. Cockroaches ,mice etc, damp rooms. No heating, when heating is requested as has been done by various guests they are ignored. People sit in lounge in sleeping bags and blankets. Kitchen is totally inadequate and dirty. Bathrooms had band aid plasters in the shower for a several days. Chinese lady owner is very loud as are all her relatives ,is only interested in making money. Place has deteriorated very badly, a shame.

Room Tip: Avoid as things are at present.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kengisc
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Stayed here with my partner late oct.11. Would not recommend this place to anyone. Cockroaches, rats mice etc. Thin walls where you can hear everything in the next room. Dirty place . Run by Chinese woman a control freak who isnt interested in your complaints. A rude obnoxious person. English guy on desk a pleasant man but thats the only positive apart from the view. Very very noisy.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Albie D
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights. We were biding time until flying out of Auckland and had run out of steam to keep exploring after 8 months on the road. So, we wouldn't have stayed that long if we were just passing through.

We negotiated a deal over the phone based on the booking deals on one of the hostel booking sites. It was $50/night for the private room. The room was large with a large (but uncomfortable) bed, a single bed, a desk and a wardrobe. The ceilings were very high and the doors opened up to a little sitting area. We were on the first floor, right across from the kitchen. Most of the rooms here seem to be laid out differently as it's an old house that's been made into a hostel.

The building could use some updates (there were cracks in the ceiling/wall of our room). There was lots of fridge space which is rare. The kitchen itself is small for the number of rooms though. The cookware is limited. They do respond quickly to complaints - the toaster broke during our stay and nobody had brought it to their attention for a couple days but when I mentioned it they got a new one within a few hours.

The view of the city is neat because the place is situated on the side of Mt. Eden. You can walk down to the Mt. Eden shops within 15 minutes and over to Newmarket within 30 minutes. There was a bus nearby but we usually drove our car or walked. The parking is off the street, right in front of the hostel. There was usually enough space for all guests.

There is a TV and a free desktop computer hooked up to internet. There is also wireless internet for free which worked from our room (bonus!) but typically just worked in the common area and the front porch from what we were told. The showers were clean enough but could have used some shelves and more hooks/shelves for clothing.

The main owner/manager fellow is very helpful if you need local advice and they provided a map with the hostel marked on it to help. The area was very quiet at night and it just depended on the other guests for the noise in the hostel. I asked people to turn down music as it was late and I didn't want to bother the staff. Not sure if they would have minded though.

There are washing machines and lots of clotheslines. We preferred this hostel to the Bamber House which we stayed in a couple years ago. Mostly because this was a better price and we didn't get much better digs for the higher cost at the Bamber.

Overall, if we had to stay in Auckland we might return if we were on a budget trip again.

Room Tip: The one near the kitchen for good wireless signal
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2011

positive,free internet(when works,not if more than 8 people connected at same time).
is a quiet neighbourghhood,and have a free car park,David the co owner is a nice guy that will help you on everything.
negative,safety,3 guys were stolen during my stay,one maori guy was blamed,i´m not sure was him.
Noise,if u plan to take a rest there forget it,the other owner is entering at any time on the rooms making lots of noise,and able to wake you up at 7 in the morning to make the payment,even u paid 1 week in advance.
good for saving money and having internet,not recommend for more than 2 days,quite dirty.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo