“Adequate but wouldn't stay again”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Off Broadway Motel

Off Broadway Motel
Ranked #24 of 108 Specialty Lodging in Auckland
London, United Kingdom
“Adequate but wouldn't stay again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

I stayed at the Off Broadway for 5 nights in a large studio by myself. The accommodation was fine, although I felt it was far from 4 star.

Although I expected traffic noise, I did not expect to hear the people talking and their tv on in the next rooms. I was also aware of the person above me walking around their apartment, unfortunately this person was an insomniac and I was awoken hourly from 0200 most nights. I also had a small fridge in the room which was particularly noisy clunking on and off all night.

The bed was comfortable, the bathroom clean, although there was a overpowering cleaning product smell every evening I came home along with exterior windows open, making me feel there may have been a sewage problem.
One of the reasons I chose this accommodation over others in the area (and there are a few options) was their claim to having gym facilities. These facilities were far from adequate, it was a small dark room with equipment that did not work at all. I ended up taking strolls around the city.
There is no restaurant and breakfast is overpriced.
Good location close to Newmarket.
I was staying by myself so $157 a night was expensive but as the room slept 3 it could be good value for groups.
Reception staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 11!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Marewa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed for three days at the Off Broadway motel. It is conviniently situated in a central new market area close to the shops and restaurents. The rooms were large and clean and the managment was friendly, hospitable, and looked after us very well. We had a viriety of choices for breakfast with adequate portions. Would recommend this motel as value for money stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lalith P
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

We stayed one night in June 2011. We got stuck in Auckland due to change in flight schedule so tried one of the hotel mentioned by Lonely Planet. However, we were disappointed because:
1. The heater was out of order! The staff gave us a portable heater and it's brand new! I don't know whether that implied that they were so aware of the situation.
2. I suspect that the floor slab is too thin! Throughout the night, we could be able to listen the footstep and TV sounds from the units on the upper floor. As we have to leave the hotel by 4am in next morning, you can imagine what a sleepless bad night we had got.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank weslau
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

From the point of reserving the most affordable,Newmarket motel at short notice to the arrival...which was late at 1200 midnight!
We received a very good service....... the room was comfortable, ambience relaxing.
Breakfast can be orderd on request (not included in rate).
For the shopper the Fashion centre is just a walk & the CBD is only a bus ride away,
convenient and would recommend to anyone in search of cost effective lodging (B&B)with comfort and warmth.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank annchand1
New Plymouth, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

Adequate for 1 night. Average furnishings. Bathroom floor not clean.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank NPP_10
excellents, Manager at Off Broadway Motel, responded to this review, June 29, 2010
Please note that we advertise as a 4 star property but not as 4+ property. Further as I went through our departure list , we did not have a family from New Plymath checked out on the 13/05/2010. I would like to know further details in this regard.
Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2010

I stayed for one night in February and it was awful. Hairs on the bathroom sink, a broken shelf that was a safety hazard, and worst of all - BED BUGS! I'd never encountered them before but apparently they are on the rise. I didn't know what it was that had crawled on me in the night (I woke up and squashed two) until I got back home and came up with red welts all over, 1 day later. Bites can take several days to appear (I subsequently learnt from scouring the internet). The management did take my complaints seriously but I could tell from the way they responded that they've had them before - the manager didn't act surprised and mentioned that they'd had an exterminator in recently. They were very apologetic, gave me a 50% discount and offered me a free nights' acommodation, but I won't be going back.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank gumboot_girl
Thank you for informing us how you felt while you were staying in our motel. We did take this compaint seriously, certanly this is not the type of service that we desire to offer you. Please accept my apology. Unfortunatly we did not notice this untill you brought that to our notice as bugs do have hiding places mainly under bedding & they cannot be removed out of day today cleaning chemicals & disinfectants. However our motel has gone through professional bug control treatments not only in this particular room but the whole motel. Further our staff is well trained to check & identify a situation in this type. Further we have upgraded our facility upto a higher level including replacing televisions with 32" LCD flat screen televisions, painting etc
I assure you that the quality & standard of our motel at a high level & invite you to come & stay with us and enjoy the real comfort.
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

Stayed there for 2 night and had our room moved because ' there was an infestation of insects' still have no idea what these were.

When we arrived the rooms are spacious but the decor is dated. The room had a terible 'fousty' smell. There was also small blood stains in the bed sheets.

We mentioned it to the cleaner the following day and were moved to a new room.

The new room didn't smell as bad.

The location is decent. but we were glad to leave .

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stuart1901
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auckland
Alpers Lodge
Tudor Court Motor Lodge
Tudor Court Motor Lodge
#35 of 66 in Auckland
Quest Newmarket Serviced Apartments

Been to Off Broadway Motel? Share your experiences!