“Great value and location”

Verandahs Backpackers Lodge
Reviewed December 14, 2012

What a nice welcome to New Zealand! A friendly, helpful owner, and quiet, comfortable accommodation. A short stroll to restaurants and bars on Ponsonby Road, and walking distance to the city centre. The rooms are set across two houses with a big kitchen, several lounges, and good views. Only downside is that wifi is not free.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed August 19, 2012

I would recommend this hostel even without the unusual situation we found ourselves in during our one night stay last week. The room was a good size and clean with extra blankets. There is also a large kitchen and multiple well stocked living rooms. The owner, Campbell, was really helpful with helping us try to plan an evening outing to the planetarium and even had other suggestions when it didn't work out. However, during the night I needed to see a doctor but was unfamiliar with the country's healthcare system. We were able to call Campbell using the phones in the hallway and he came straight away and, instead of just giving us advice or ordering a taxi, he drove my friend and I to the emergency department at about 1am, for which I am very grateful. I appreciate this doesn't really tell you about the location etc, but, as we flew out of Auckland after I was discharged, I wanted to acknowledge his act of kindness, so thank you.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JRC21
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Great for people on the budget, especially backpackers. It's clean, nice, cosy and best of all - affordable! You get so much more for what you pay for. The people are all so nice and friendly. I never had any problem or complains. I will recommend this to everyone and I definitely had an amazing time at Verandahs. It's so close to everything without being too close to the craziness of the city.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 8, 2012

First hostel I stayed in when I arrived in New Zealand.

Verandahs is located off Ponsonby Road on Hopetoun Road. Being new to New Zealand, it was somewhat difficult to find the bus stop to the inner link bus to ponsonby (they have innerlink/citylink/outerlink buses!). The Verandahs website only stated LINK bus so more specific directions would be needed, in particular for those new to the city. It is not funny lugging a heavy backpack and a heavy luggage trying to look for a bus stop to get to the hostel. Directions from Art Station to the hostel is clear enough.

The nearest bus station from Britomart is located along Customs Street East opposite Mercure Auckland Hotel. Get the driver of the Airport bus to let you know when stop 5 is reached (this is also the same stop for all the backpackers located in the Auckland CBD). Upon alighting, walk forward along Queen St till you come to a traffic light junction and turn left into Customs St East. There should be a INNERLINK bus to Ponsonby at the first bus stop you see, but do double check.

Verandahs is located just beside the beautiful Western Park and you do get really nice views from the hostel of the city and the park. The hostel is warm enough and there is an oil heater in every room to heat up the room during the winter. However, as the switch for the heater seemed to be timed to turn off automatically once the heater is heated to the maximum, heating ability is limited. Just make sure you have layers and socks to keep yourself warm. Though of course, I heard from many that Auckland is much much warmer than South Island.

Campbell and Vicki are nice and always ready to help. Note that office hours for Verandahs is between 8am-12noon and 2pm-7pm. If you intend to arrive or leave anytime other than this and require luggage storage, you need to inform the staff prior to arrival. They are always ready to help provided that all communication is done prior to arrival if arriving/leaving after office hours. My planned time arrival was at noon, but due to delays of searching for the bus stop to the hostel, I arrived at half past 12 and had to sit outside on the verandah waiting till 2pm for the office to open. On my last day, I encountered 2 other guests who arrived after office hours and needed to store their luggages, but did not have anyone to check with, being after office hours. Would be better if there was someone around after office hours, especially for the first time guests arrive at the hostel.

Kitchen was clean and tidy and there are 2 lovely lounges for guests to mix around and get to know one another, though I found that to be a minimum in this hostel. The bathrooms are similarly clean, but do get a draft from the bottom of the door or from the circulating fan at the top, depending on which bathroom you were at. Nothing too serious.

There are cafes and food along Ponsonby, but I found food at the city central to be a tad cheaper. To get to the city central from the hostel, walk along Hopetoun Road over the bridge and all the way down. This would take 20-30minutes, depending on your walking speed.

The owner obviously view cleanliness and guests' comfort very highly. The hostel is warm and welcoming, with an awesome view to the city. Sufficient amenities and facilities are provided for guests comfort. If there are improvements required, the doors to the rooms can be oiled (get squeaky), the automatic timer for the heater should be deactivated, and it would be better for someone to be on site after office hours. Recommend first-time guests to speak to owners or email if they have any requirements, in particular if arriving/leaving after office hours. Will stay again if returning to Auckland.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jayellearezee
stuartmunro, Owner at Verandahs Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Thank you for your review and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are a small family owned business and we do operate within office hours as stated in your review. We do advise all guests via email or over the phone of these hours once they have booked or when they are making the booking. We do allow for late arrivals (no arrivals for shared rooms after 11pm sorry) and provide the necessary information to enable guests to access their room. Generally this works very well and we have little problems. If guests require information, they need to talk to us during office hours and we are happy to help. We are readily available in case of an emergency though, such as being locked out of your room.
We cannot unfortunately offer a 24 service. So if this is your requirement, maybe another larger backpackers establishment may be more suitable for you.

Your point regarding the Link Bus directions is noted and appreciated. There used to be only one Link bus, but now there are a few. We have a new website and I have forwarded the new directions to be incorporated.

Briefly in reply to some of your other points;

1. Our heaters are only 90 minute timers. They can be reset at anytime. We do provide duvet and fleece.
2. Ponsonby Road has some of Auckland's finest restaurants and bars. We are happy to assist to find you a restaurant that suits your budget. 2 minutes from our front door is an International Food court where there are 10 Food Stalls from Asian to Italian to Turkish where most meals are around NZ $10.
3. We regularly check the doors are well oiled, so my apologies if one was missed.

Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I found all the NZ hostels I've stayed at during my trip to be fantastic, however Verandahs was the best. Good location in a quiet neighbourhood, very nice room (I stayed in a twin), very clean bathroom with nice hot showers, and an awesome well-equipped kitchen. The guy at the reception (sorry I forgot your name!) was really helpful as well.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This was our first stop during our trip to New Zealand. The people running the hostel were very kind and we were brought to our room quickly (nice after being in airports and on planes for over 24 hours!). The atmosphere inside is great - it's older but very clean, including all the bathrooms (shared but we never had to wait). We loved how the door to the balcony was always open - the constant fresh air was amazing (yet we never saw bugs or spiders! - where we're from we have screens on all windows and often heat or air conditioning is constantly going) and the views - OMG - you'd think you'd have to pay a fortune to get what we got!! You could see the Auckland harbour and the entire skyline and right below was a really nice park, it was just beautiful day or night.

The other people staying here were kind as well and always courteous in common areas. Kitchen was clean and large with lots of cutlery and plates available.

It's quite close to everything and although we had a car we didn't use it when touring the downtown area - we walked everywhere, which was probably 40 minutes or so to the harbour.

This was probably our favourite hostel of the trip and one of our favs out of all of our trips! It was also our first ever hostel experience, and couldn't have been better!

Room Tip: All of the rooms seemed good - we had a private double room and it was excellent.