“Yumm breakfast”

Hector's Restaurant
Ranked #169 of 2,417 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Healthy, New Zealand
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Our food philosophy is based on the “Eco Gastronomy” concept, which has strong connections between how and where food is produced and consumed. We strive to source premium ingredients locally which are seasonal, fresh and in their prime. Our menus offer a wide variety of light and healthy options and we believe that eating is for the mind, body and soul.
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Friendly professional staff. Great variety of breakfast foods. Clean restaurant- really enjoyed the new Raw food bar.

RM_Hectors, Manager at Hector's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear Rachel K,

Thank you for submitting your recent comments about breakfast at Hector's restaurant.

Our Raw Breakfast bar features as one of our 6 Good Food Project commitments and is our way of providing a healthy start to your day.

I am glad you enjoyed it.

Kind regards

Vince Patena
T.H.E. Restaurant Manager

Reviewed May 22, 2014

The staff were lovely, the steaks well cooked and it was very quiet, which for my part I enjoyed, as I could have a conversation without the need to shout.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I used a Grab One Voucher to treat my wife their High Tea. When we were led to our table, the first thing we noticed was how filthy the carpet was. I have never been to a Restaurant where the carpet was in a state like this. It was certainly not a good first impression. The Service was ok and the food was ok. Neither was not up to the standard of other Auckland Hotels where we have had their High Tea.
From Colin of Auckland

1  Thank 13Colin
Reviewed February 28, 2014

This stunning and serene restaurant is just a stone's throw from Auckland central - a choice of the most beautiful vegan dishes as well as succulent meat options for those who prefer to be carnivorous. Such a delicate fusion of flavours in every course. Perfect and courteous fast service - great atmospehere - we will definitely come back for more - reasonable prices too! Hats off to the wonderful chef!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

We came here for Valentine's dinner as dining is always a bit of a pain with one veggie and one meat eater so this way we could both be pleased! The menu was a set menu with only 2 choices per course - 1 vegan and one meat/non-veggie. This suits me as I don't like too much choice and I'm not fussy. Perhaps it might have been a little too restrictive for other people.

Anyhow, the restaurant is in a hotel atrium as others have said. It is a little odd but not cold or unwelcoming and the staff were really friendly. It seems like some effort has been made to disguise the fact that this is a hotel restaurant eg the breakfast buffet table was behind a screen.

There was a glass of bubbles each to start with and a flower for me. Then there were warm, freshly baked bread rolls with olive oil and balsamic dips. I liked this as most NZ restaurants do not offer bread routinely as they do in Europe. Then we had an amuse bouche which was a delicious tomato cracker with cashew hummus and coconut. After this, Vince had a starter of asparagus with various bits and bobs. He thought the tomato granita was a "bit weird" but he liked the dish overall with the corn mousse and almond gazpacho. I had the most delicious thing ever - tuna and crab canneloni with the thin tuna forming the canneloni tubes and the crab inside. This came with a beautiful avocado puree. Vince was not so fond of his main of exotic mushrooms. While he enjoyed the rest of the dish, he felt it was overwhelmed by the mushrooms, some of which were quite large and had an unusual texture for him. My venison was nicely cooked with some interesting accompaniments. The desserts were delicious - a vegan chocolate mousse, again with interesting and tasty accompaniments and I had a fruity mousse cake with macaron and fresh berries.

The wine list has a great selection of wines, many of which are vegan and, of these most are available by the glass.

What really impressed me was the thoughtfulness of the dishes, the fact that none was overwhelming but each was beautifully presented. This would have been a 5 out of 5 if Vince had enjoyed the mushroom main more. Value for money was good for the city centre and you can be sure that we will be back