“Incredible value for money.”

Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St
Ranked #23 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Provo, Utah
“Incredible value for money.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2009

I stayed at the Auckland City Hotel for a week, and got such an incredible rate for a city-center hotel that I expected to find a youth hostel. But the hotel to my surprise was easily 3 star, with a great kitchenette and excellent bed. I didn't use the restaurant except once for a light snack, so can't comment there. I thought the parking fees (25 NZ$ per day) were reasonable for city center parking, as was the wired internet service (no wireless in the rooms), which was a per-minute charge, daily max of ~33 NZ$ or something like that. Seriously, I booked through Expedia and even with the parking and internet, it was still a smoking deal for comparable city center accommodations.

I liked its "eco-friendliness", but would have chosen it anyway for the value.
My only complaint is that I couldn't find stairs for access - I was on the second floor, and having to take the elevator up and down every day doesn't seem very environmentally friendly to me. I'd have rather climbed stairs.

As far as the neighborhood... there is a mission down the street where there were sometimes some homeless-looking people milling about, so if it would bother you to walk past them then don't stay here, go be a snob somewhere else. There is a laundry two buildings down, which made it nice to be able to run over and do some wash mid-week. There are two little convenience markets nearby that had a reasonable selection of kitchen food stuff. I walked to the harbour one afternoon and had a boat tour, wandered about, Queen Street shopping was excellent and everything within walking distance.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

The parking was awful, and there were no instructions to tell us where to go. Our key didn't work for the room and had to be replaced. The electricity wasn't functioning in the room, and we later found out that we had to place our key in a slot in the room just to get the electricity working. There were no instructions listed anywhere about this. The staff barely spoke English, and were rude and unhelpful. Their attitude was extremely casual, and there was no apology for the problems we had experienced. We ended up leaving and going to another hotel. I am demanding a refund.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
DMTess, Guest Relations Manager at Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St, responded to this review, February 25, 2009
Dear Sir,

The management of Auckland City Hotel regret such experience that was encountered and noted this feedback. Rest assured that we do take customer’s feedback seriously as we constantly strive to deliver service exellence to all our guests.

We thank you for your comments.

Kind regards,

Tess Sebastian
Guest Services Manager

Auckland City Hotel
157 Hobson St.
Auckland, New Zealand
PH- 09-925-0777
Fax 09 925-0700

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2009

This apartment style hotel is in a great location close to skycity and queens street. The kitchenette is very well equipped and I liked the eco-friendly touches. The room was very spacious and spotless. The bed was the best I had slept in while travelling new zealand.

Unfortunately the restaurant was under refurbishment while I was there so I cannot comment on breakfast etc.

I booked this hotel on hotels.com for 48 euro per night which was nearly half what was being charged on the hotels own website.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
ACH157, Management at Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St, responded to this review, February 26, 2009
Thank-you for your kind comments. You will be pleased to know that the cafe is now open for breakfast and lunch from 7am to 6pm. It should be open for dinner from around mid-late March.

Also the pricing on our website is in NZ dollars (not Euros), so rooms start at around 40 Euro with no booking fees. Thanks.
melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2009

Just a warning, don't rely on the hotel's wake up services and for them to book a taxi. We were assured that we'd be woken up at a certain hour which never happened and the taxi that they also assured would be booked never happened either. Luckily we just woke up in time ourselves, in time to book a taxi and just made it to our flight.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — don't offer services that you won't deliver on
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank-you for your feedback as it will allow us to identify our short-comings and address them. We sincerely apologise for your experience with us.

We seem to have an intermittent problem with our telephone system for wake-up calls, and so we have implemented a manual follow up call procedure in the interim before the system is fixed.

As for booking taxis, we have a manual booking sheet which is reasonably foolproof, however we will look further at how we can improve this. Thanks.
Murcia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2009

Very pleased with the choice of this hotel for our 2 night stay in Auckland..hotel recently refurbished to a good standard, very comfortable beds and everything fresh and clean... Skycity is literally 2 minutes walk and the waterside 7 or 8 minutes (a bit harder walk back up the hill but thats Auckland) would definately stay here if I returned but just a tip for car drivers.. the hotel car park is expensive and there are much cheaper options just 2 minutes away down the side of the hotel and through the lights.

• Liked — Cleanliness, comfortable rooms, value for money
  • Disliked — Reception could be better, lacked experience.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
california
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2009

For all the hype here, the hotel is just about avergae. It is centrally located just outside the sky tower, but besides that (and being effiecient -i.e good value for money) it does nothing to enhance the kiwi experience of being at Auckland !

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
L.A.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2009

That's how the girl at the front desk greeted me. She may have been holding up a finger at me, I don't remember. But it was definitely off-putting.

Many people who arrive in Auckland have, like me, just spent 20 or so hours on a plane. When you get to your destination you just want a smile and a little courtesy. None was forthcoming. It's not that they're rude, exactly, they just don't seem to grasp that customer service involves making people feel welcome.

Then I walked past the cafe. The sign said "will open in October 2008." It was December 2008, and it was still nowhere near being open. When I got to the room I figured out that you had to insert the card in the slot to make the power come on, but couldn't, in my jet-lagged state, deduce that you need to LEAVE IT THERE.

A phone call later, someone came and showed me. In theory, I guess I applaud the eco friendliness, but this is another thing you need to TELL THE PERSON WHO IS PAYING GOOD MONEY TO STAY AT YOUR HOTEL UP FRONT, not let them puzzle out on their own when they just flew overnight from L.A.

A word about the location for those like me who didn't do their homework: yes, it is in central Auckland. However, central Auckland is pretty awful. It is across the street from the Misson, and while Kiwi bums are not exactly intimidating, it's still not the most pleasant sight. It's near the Sky City Tower and Queen Street, yes, but unless you are a connoisseur of cheese and ugliness you will want to get as far away from these things as possible as soon as possible. They give an awful first impression of a city that is actually pretty nice once you get out into the suburbs.

Don't stay here, or in this area.

• Liked — Cheap.
  • Disliked — Poor service, cut corners, and an unpleasant location.
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank-you for your feedback as it will allow us to address our short-comings. We do apologise for your experience with us, we are actively working to improve guest experiences.

We have addressed the less experienced members of our staff and will be monitoring their progress in terms of customer service. They will definitely improve with more experience and training. Thanks.