I stayed at the Auckland City Hotel for a week, and got such an incredible rate for a city-center hotel that I expected to find a youth hostel. But the hotel to my surprise was easily 3 star, with a great kitchenette and excellent bed. I didn't use the restaurant except once for a light snack, so can't comment there. I thought the parking fees (25 NZ$ per day) were reasonable for city center parking, as was the wired internet service (no wireless in the rooms), which was a per-minute charge, daily max of ~33 NZ$ or something like that. Seriously, I booked through Expedia and even with the parking and internet, it was still a smoking deal for comparable city center accommodations.
I liked its "eco-friendliness", but would have chosen it anyway for the value.
My only complaint is that I couldn't find stairs for access - I was on the second floor, and having to take the elevator up and down every day doesn't seem very environmentally friendly to me. I'd have rather climbed stairs.
As far as the neighborhood... there is a mission down the street where there were sometimes some homeless-looking people milling about, so if it would bother you to walk past them then don't stay here, go be a snob somewhere else. There is a laundry two buildings down, which made it nice to be able to run over and do some wash mid-week. There are two little convenience markets nearby that had a reasonable selection of kitchen food stuff. I walked to the harbour one afternoon and had a boat tour, wandered about, Queen Street shopping was excellent and everything within walking distance.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 1912, The year of the Titanic, was when the lobby and entrance of the Auckland City Hotel - Hobson St was originally erected. The hotel has retained the character and charm of its past enhanced with a new building housing 138 rooms with contemporary decor and modern conveniences. The Auckland City Hotel is ideally located at 157 Hobson Street - in the heart of Auckland's entertainment and business district with easy access to motorways. Only five minute's walk to the Sky Tower, Aotea Square, Civic Theatre and Queen Street, the Auckland City Hotel offers convenient, environmentally friendly accommodation for business and leisure travelers alike. Enjoy a meal at hotel Cafe & Restaurant, renew with a read of the Word for Today in our rooms or relax with a workout at our offsite gym and swimming pool, the Auckland City Hotel is called to serve more than just your accommodation needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St Hotel Auckland Central
- Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St New Zealand