“Centrally located but the service is quiet poor.”

Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St
Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

The auckland city hotel is centrally located but the service is quiet poor. We stayed here for 2 nights after the first night when we went out the next morning and came back to the hotel we found that our room was still how we had left it in the morning. The hotel staff took too long to get the room cleaned and put it back it order for us. The breakfast too wasnt upto the mark. Hardly any options or variety in the buffet. Over all its clean but the heater barely worked. Service is poor.

Stayed: May 2014
ACH157, Manager at Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank-you for your feedback, we are always striving to improve our service standards and guest feedback provides an important avenue of communications for this.

Normally we aim to service all rooms by early afternoon, but on especially busy days there could be delays. However we can always prioritise to meet guest needs, so our guests can request rooms to be serviced by a certain time by informing front desk.

The restaurant is a separate business to our hotel, but we will forward your comments to them for their reference. We hope that we may have another opportunity to serve yo in the future.

Regards
Auckland City Hotel

Reviewed May 27, 2014

We spent the final nights here on our mini "rugby road trip" following our team around the North Island. We found this hotel to be excellent value for money and while not in the city centre, we were short walking distances to the Skytower and the harbour. We left our hire car parked here and just walked everywhere. Having a little kitchenette was a bonus with a decent sized fridge and microwave to store our goodies collected along the road trip. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. We had no view other than the buildings behind us so kept our curtains closed. I don't think you would stay here for a view though. It was great to have 1 hour free wi-fi in our hotel room (not the lobby like most other hotels we stayed at in New Zealand) as this is the way we kept in touch with home. Staff were exceptionally friendly and efficient. We are going to stay here again for Lions tour.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gypsykylie
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Nice hotel but hard to get a park out the front to go and checkin, especially if you arrive around 5pm like we did.
We chose to park car at hotel car park $25 a bit too expensive, most expensive hotel car park we had during our four weeks in NZ.
Room was really nice, beds very comfortable. We did leave a pair of sports shoes there which we realised the day after we had left the premises. A couple of emails by me to hotel with reply saying there was nothing left in the room. That was a bit disappointing as that is the only place they could have been.
The only other disturbing thing was when we went to leave and get the car from the car park it had been moved, for a couple of minutes we thought we had lost the hire car. I believe they should have told us they had moved it.
Restaurant was lovely.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I didn't need to park a car, I defer to people's experiences regarding that. Location: It is a block from the Auckland Mission, but that could be easily bypassed by crossing the street (I walked past it, no problems). I had a room on the ground floor, facing the street. My room had two very small bedrooms and I was by myself. By sleeping in the room further from the street I heard no street noise. Kitchenette was good. The little "continental breakfast" they give is, to me, supplemental what you may cook for breakfast, so its fine. My room was clean, the free wifi worked the best of any hotel I stayed in to date, anywhere. My only issue was when I arrived the room did not have a dvd player in the room and it took two days for someone to put one in. The front desk staff are pleasant and they let me store my luggage on the last day, as I had a late flight. Close enough to the harbor, the K Road, very close to the Sky Tower. I stayed here in 2009 and five years later I was more than happy. I do not agree with the bad reviews, my experience was just about completely very worthwhile, and that is a testament to their wanting to please people.

Room Tip: No pool, spa on premises. You may want a higher floor due to street noise. I had no problem on the g...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Crossbow0106
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I thought this hotel was great for the price. The location was great for walking in and out of town easily, the studio room was spacious and clean and would have suited for a longer visit as it had kitchen facilities although we were only there for one night and the staff were very courteous to us so I had no problems on that front.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Having read some previous reviews was worried about this hotel when arriving for daughters University Graduation night. In order, we found all staff including reception to be polite, helpful and smiling. Room was very clean , comfortable ,roomy, and quiet. Location was great, close to Queen Street and Aotea Square. No we did not see or get accosted by any homeless people even though we were walking around late in the evening. No we did not use the air conditioning as we used the natural one by opening the windows for the night. Only down side was having to pay the $25 for a car park for the night, but at least we knew the car was safe, and no it did not get shifted by staff ! All up we were very happy with our experience.

Room Tip: Our Room on south west side seemed to be quieter than perhaps Hobson Street side and we were on the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We would not stay in this dump. I checked it out, and after that, even though we had already aid for it, we decided to go somewhere else. Even though it's a great location, and it's a cheap price, it's really just a transient tourist trap.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Einfach
ACH157, Manager at Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Dear guest,
We apologise that we did not get the opportunity to cater to your requirements. We do have different room categories available, from our Standard Rooms to the larger Studio Rooms (with kitchenette), then also our Deluxe and Executive Rooms on our Corporate floors. We also have split level 2 bedroom suites which are fully self contained, we are sure that we would be able to meet your requirements if given the opportunity to show the different room types to you.
But we do thank you for your feedback which does help us to identify areas of improvements for the hotel.
Regards