My husband and I stayed at this property a total of 3 nights during our trip to New Zealand - 2 nights at the beginning of our trip and 1 night at the end of our trip. Overall we were pleased with the property and the location was very good. Also, the room was very spacious and had a living room/office area as well as a kitchenette so it definitely fit our needs well as far as space and function.
-Quick & easy check-in
-Front desk told us about many amenities
-Restaurant on site - we did not try but it seemed to have very reasonable lunch prices
-Room was very spacious - it feautred a double bed, love seat, desk tv, closet, stocked kitchenette, and bathroom
-Bed was very comfortable
-Great location - 1 block to Sky Tower/5 blocks to Viaduct Harbour
-We thought parking was included with our package, but we ended up paying $10/day which was apparently a discount. When we returned to the hotel they originally charged us $25/day and we had to have that fixed.
-The bathroom seemed small - the bathroom door cannot be open at the same time as the shower door. The shower leaked into the kitchen and hall area extensively.
-Only 2 towels were provided and we had to request extra.
-No maid service between 1st and 2nd night; had to request towels a 2nd time.
-Tea/coffee provided was not high quality at all.
-During 2nd stay there was no room to park and we were not provided a free internet code. We were also charged extra for parking - it was like we were staying at a totally different hotel even thought it was just one week later.
-Restaurant was closed when we arrived at 8:50 even though the signage said it was open until 9:30pm.
-Front desk told us that the only restaurants that were open was Denny's and Pizza Hut. We placed a takeaway order at Denny's and then found out there were tons of other places open in the same building as Denny's that we would have rather eaten at.
The staff seemed to be perfunctory only and not all that friendly. The room was comfortable and spacious and in a great location so for us that seemed to trump most of the cons. There is a large homeless shelter across the street which didn't seem very safe when we were walking back at night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 1912, The year of the Titanic, was when the lobby and entrance of the Auckland City Hotel - Hobson St was originally erected. The hotel has retained the character and charm of its past enhanced with a new building housing 138 rooms with contemporary decor and modern conveniences. The Auckland City Hotel is ideally located at 157 Hobson Street - in the heart of Auckland's entertainment and business district with easy access to motorways. Only five minute's walk to the Sky Tower, Aotea Square, Civic Theatre and Queen Street, the Auckland City Hotel offers convenient, environmentally friendly accommodation for business and leisure travelers alike. Enjoy a meal at hotel Cafe & Restaurant, renew with a read of the Word for Today in our rooms or relax with a workout at our offsite gym and swimming pool, the Auckland City Hotel is called to serve more than just your accommodation needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St Hotel Auckland Central
- Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St New Zealand