“OK For a Short Stay”

Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St
Ranked #24 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My Wife and I spent 2 nights here following our arrival in NZ. The hotel is situated near the Skytower, and there are several bars and restaurants within easy walking distance. The room was clean and tidy and had all the usual necessities, including a refrigerator, although the hotel had crammed a sofa into the room and it wasn't possible to sit on one end of it becausec the bed was in the way! Complimentary Wifi would have been useful, given that many of us these days have wifi enabled devices.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Had a bus trip to Auckland for the All Blacks v South Africa . This hotel suited us s it was in a handy location, close to Sky City.The rooms were clean and tidy. Beds comfortable.
Couple of convince stores handy, one with a kebab shop included.
Staff were generally ok, didn't have much to do with them apart from check in. Stored our bags after check out, till leaving for air port.
Overall a decent budget hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Internet is cheaply rationed, could be bit more generous considering we rely on it a bit these days. Parking can be easily found across the road at reasonable rate.
There was no kitchen in our room, but cutlery was promptly made available.
Staff is very courteous and room was clean.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Only stayed one night, but was very pleased with rooms.
All the the Staff from Counter to cleaners were very helpful, nice to have a pleasant welcome from all who worked there.
I would recommend to anyone,
Possible need of some English food at restaraunt, like steak ,not much variety ,if you don't like spicy food.
Rooms were very clean and modern, with a good hot shower.
Beds were comfy with plenty of fluffy pillows.
Flat screen TV and alarm.
Coffee and tea making with Microwave an extra .

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2013

For our first stay in Auckland, we were booked at the Auckland City Hotel.the staff were very helpful and were able to accommodate our additional guest at last minute. The package we were given included breakfast however we would have much preferred including parking charges instead. We were not asked for our breakfast order and what was served included, warm bacon, scrambled eggs, two fried frankfurts with French toast with syrup and icing sugar allow the same plate... Not exactly the perfect breakfast for type 1 diabetic....

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I have to admit that this was one of the good hotels, with nice rooms, good location, good service and cleanliness. Hotel is 10 storied building with plenty of rooms. I stayed in twin bed room for 2 weeks.

Room was was quit large with 2 beds, plenty of lighting, a TV and sofa for relaxing, a chair and a small table if you want to work. Beds were good enough and i don't have any problem during my sleep. Room was very quiet and In terms of cleanliness, service maid always make sure that room is clean and all the bed sheets and towels are changed everyday.

Each room has separate AC machine and heater as compared to conventional all in one. Though heater takes some time to get up to speed.

Each room also has a working kitchenette, which contains microwave, refrigerator, toaster, water heater, 2 hotplates, daily useful utensils and cleaning gear. Service maid daily cleans the utensils and they were upto mark.

Front desk was also good and they were always quick in their services. They also have good internet plans with great speed.

I didnt tried their restaurant, as I am a vegetarian but always I see 4-6 tables busy with guests so probably it was good too.

Hotel location is good, it is walking distance to Skycity tower and you have many grocery stores & liquor shops near by.

All in all it was a comfortable stay with great value for money and I would recommend everyone to stay there.

Room Tip: Take front rooms for sunlight.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We were staying only one night. Upon arrival you are required to pay $25 for a Hotel carpark - nothing in the small print about the charges for parking. The manager only charged $15 because I mentioned that I really had "No" choice about paying the $25 if I needed a carpark. I think he agreed it should be more publicised.

Also, when booking my Hotels through Hotel.com, the Credit Card provided is the one they charge at the end of your stay. But, the manager got me to pay up front. This was confusing for me, as I have never struck this with any of my previous bookings with Hotel.com.

We had brought our swimmers as it shows there is a pool. But the pool is "Off Site" at "Youth Town"????? Please! That is a block away from the Hotel! Very cheeky marketing and very disappointing!

The room was basic enough, but the thing that got me was the King sized bed! It was 2 beds pushed together and they were not even the same height. When we slept, we rolled to the middle, but couldn't roll evenly over because of the height differences!

To be honest, for $40 more, we could have stayed at Sky City and possibly had a carpark included. I won't be going back again and I certainly won't recommend this to anyone, which is a shame.

2  Thank Cassandra H