“Great location”

Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St
Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I had one night in Aukland on my way to the south island and stayed at this hotel. Great location -- was able to walk to the harbour and jump on the on/off tourist site seeing bus. My only "gotcha" was that they were not very service oriented (which I soon learned is the situation throughout all of NZ. I needed to ship something and they were able to direct me to a post that was open on Saturday. I did have an interesting situation that the maintenance man helped me solve. They give you the standard hotel keys which typically slide into a door slot to open the door. However, there was no door slot and my door was unlocked. I went to the front desk and explained my confusion and they looked at me like I had three heads. The maintenance guys was standing there and walked to my room with me -- to discover you have to wave your key in front of the door lock to activate the lock. Who would have thought??? But, my room was quiet, clean and the wakeup call was prompt.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the main road -- but it is pretty sleepy in this area on a weekend.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 24, 2012

My sister and I stayed here for one night for the Coldplay concert. Staff were very friendly and the room was small but contained all the essentials. We had a small kitchenette which we didn't need to use and two double beds. Bathroom was very clean and shower was our favourite thing. It was big and brilliant pressure. Reasonable price and we didn't try the buffet as it was a bit expensive. Great for a night or two in town

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The beds are well past there used by date abd are extremley uncomfortable, there cleaners don't no how to clean properly or make a bed, they rip you off with the wi-fi usage, carpets are filthy, portable heating and air con, overall just a very below par standard at this venue, recommend to find accomodation else where!

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Ahock32
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed here for 4 days before travelling. Had a King Size Bed Suite and it was great with little kitchenette, lots of smaller and larger grocery shops near by to get food. Service was friendly, nice Malaysian restaurant to eat at down stairs. Came back for one night stay and they showed me the only room they had available was a small room with double bed - would of been no good for 4 night stay, so recommend you go for King Size Bed Suite. They upgraded me anyway which was good.

Room Tip: Don't go for standard room, go for Studio or above.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Me and my partner stayed here during October 2012, our room was lovely - very clean and modern, with a small kitchen and everything we needed. Bathroom was slightly on the small side but that really didn't matter because the quality and comfort of the room was top notch. It was exceptionally good value as well and very close to the centre of Auckland, and the Sky Tower. The reception was very helpful in pointing out to us places on the map, local supermarkets and giving us an idea of walking distances etc.

I would stay here again without a doubt. Excellent!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We found our room had a very unpleasant odour, and on further investigation found a thick layer of dust around the small fridge. Not sure what the cause was... spilt milk? Response to our call was slow. When shown to another room later that night, we specifically asked that there would be no wake up call, but we were woken at 4:30am by the wake-up call system. The 'packed breakfast' we requested (as the restaurant didn't open until 7am) was some sandwiches, a small muffin, a packet of drink, and an apple. Other breakfast cereals (for the continental breakfast other mornings) were chocolate cocoa puffs, rice bubbles and cornflakes, no muesli. The linen was changed at 4pm in the afternoon the second day. The staff were pleasant and helpful, but we didn't think this was value for money at over $150 a room (including a continental breakfast). The beds lacked blankets, but fortunately these were supplied on request. More like an upmarket backpackers.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank 123,449
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I checked-in to this 4 Qualmark Hotel, 8th of September 2012, one thing I first noticed is that there is no parking area for arriving guest. So if you plan to drive all the way to Auckland and book here, I suggest you go straight to the car parking buildings instead of leaving your car in front of the hotel, I heard you'll get your car towed straight away.

Check-in was smooth and receptionist was friendly. Anyway, I'm booked to room 413 for a week, the room is decent, modern and tidy till I noticed the grime in the stove. Then after that, I thought I'll check the utensils, glass and fridge. Look at the pictures, it seems the housekeepers neglected to clean it. I highly recommend you wash first all the utensils you plan using.

Above all that, the place is located in central Auckland, close to lots of amenities and value for money.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo