See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 21, 2012

got sick as result of dorms, and bathrooms! nothing personal on the cleaning crew, my hat comes off to them...but the state of bathrooms, especially showers disgusting!
no soap, hand sanitizers in bathrooms, no papertowels, plus faulty hand-dryers!

good location though, to restaurants, shops, museums, etc!

anything else to do with place, being referred to our foreign affairs office, and NZ high commission in australia

Room Tip: look elsewhere! (if you see the manager's desk...you see just how poorly run the place is!)
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank BrisbaneKiwisteve
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed here for a few nights in July on a business trip, having just been to Darwin in a lot so nice hostel the Barracks building alone was a welcome sight. Check in was easy, I booked a 4 bed female only dorm. The room was not cramped and it was clean, I didn't find it too noisy either considering there was a bar just down the stairs, Bathroom were cleaning daily, although there was only one hot shower I only use the kitchen at breakfast, where there is tea, coffee, bread and condiments.
The bar area was was a lovely big hall and was nice to sit and have a drink in the evening.
The location was also good, not far from restaurants and a short walk to the station and maybe a 10-15 minute walk into the city.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I chose a 4 bed female only and it was a good choice!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Don't let the offer of an inclusive breakfast fool you, this place is not worth the money. The whole place stinks of sweat, the rooms aren't clean and the mattresses and pillows are a disgrace. I have been travelling in India and Nepal and this is easily the worst accommodation I've stayed in. The front of it is really cool looking but that's its only redeeming feature.

Room Tip: Find another hostel :)
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank acalagan
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Perth isn't exactly great for hostels. I lived in perth for 6 months or so,and from the people i have met along the way,I hear that there aren't many good ones. I stayed in the barracks for a week dec 2011.I was lucky with the room I got as the standards were below average,but not as bad as my friends room. My friend was put in a room with 5 long term people.The room was so messy that you could not see the floor....there was stale food all over the place and people having sex in one of the bottom bunks.The other residents were obnoxious (just to top it off).

The bar is about the best thing about the place....but they have a no BYO policy ....... so this can be expensive....

The bathrooms are just as bad as the rooms,they look like they haven't been cleaned in the last 20 years.

The kitchen is small and dirty......I wouldn't cook in there .....

The staff are rude and useless.

I did not experiance bed bugs,but my friend did and i know other people that have,and it doesnt suprise me.....

In my opinion,if you are wanting to stay in the northbridge area,head down the road and stay at Britannia on william....its much better,nothing special,but much much better .....happy travels.

Room Tip: Stay clear of the place........the streets are cleaner .....
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights. Never again. Other recent posts say a lot of what I would say, but don't adequately describe the dirt, the revolting smell, the constant drunken noise, disgusting rooms and toilets, louts and thieves and lowlifes infesting the place along with cockroaches and bedbugs, and the uncaring, dismissive attitude of the staff. Avoid this place as you would avoid a rabid dog.

Room Tip: There aren't any good rooms
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends