“Good grub”

Neighborhood: Perth CBD
Canberra, Australia
“Good grub”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We got off the triple tour right outside the Moon and Sixpence, so decided to stop for lunch on a very wet day. The service was great, staff were friendly and helpful, and the food was good value and tasty. Very handy to the hotel as well.

• Visited September 2013

Sydney, Australia
“Great little British pub”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Moon and Sixpence has been in Perth for years now. Each time I come back to Perth I pay the moon a visit.

OK down to business. The meals are very good value for money while still retaining quality. I have noticed over the years that the type of meal has taken a step up on the standard pub fare. Overall, this is a positive with the one tragic exception... there is no bangers and mash. The pizza and curry were outstanding. Hilarious/ironic, go to the British pub for Italian and Indian food :-D

The staff are very pleasant and courteous. I notice the odd review below to the contrary, however, I observed nothing that would indicate otherwise (Maybe if you are being turned away for being drunk and you believe you are not, it may be helpful to put on shoes and avoid pot before visiting).

The bottom line: Great pub, great selection of beer and food. Pleasant staff. I would have rated this as a 5 if the bangers and mash were not missing.

Perth, Australia
“Great inner city pub”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My brother reminisced today that he'd been coming to the Moon and Sixpence for over 20 years, today we come to the pub to celebrate his turning 40 years with a bit of pub grub with members of the family young and old. We sat ourselves down in front of the faux log fire which kept all toasty warm, with our meals finishing off the feeling.

I went for the Cottage Pie, unlike the traditional version which is mash potato atop minced meat and some grated cheese melted on top, this version substituted the minced meat for pulled meat which was absolutely lovely, and so filling that I couldn't finish my meal - only $19.50 (July 2013). My mother went for the Vegetarian Pizza which she seemed to enjoy, though I thought this looked a tad light on compared to some I had had elsewhere. My sister and her fiancé both ordered the steak, their meal looked quite nice, served with a decent sized salad.

I also ordered a diet coke, I have to say that it was served perhaps in the stingiest (thin) glass I've seen anywhere, certainly lacking in the value for money stakes.

The pub is very centrally located, just a minute's walk from the Perth underground train station, so great if you want to grab a few drinks with friends and train it home.

Oxford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The worst pub in Perth”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Do not even go in this place, it as very rude staff on the door who cannot even tell if someone has had a drink or not, i have been on few occasions one in which i never had a drink and was made to wait in a que boycott this place, they is better places to drink in Perth city

Perth, Australia
“Great selection of British Beers on tap”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

British pub in the city centre of Perth. Interior decor is that of a British pub and they also have a reasonable outside area overlooking the street. Food selection is not large, typical pub meals but nothing special about them. What I liked was the selection of British Beers on tap but beware you will pay through the nose with the price per pint way up there with the most expensive around - the price I was prepared to pay as at least two of the beers I had not seen on tap anywhere else in Perth.
Service is a little slow but it was very busy when we were there. It did improve as the number of patrons dropped.
Toilets recently renovated and nice and clean and regularly serviced to keep them that way- a nice change in a busy pub.

• Visited June 2013