“AH-MA-ZING foods! Going back soon in 1 week time”
Review of Restaurant Amuse - CLOSED

Restaurant Amuse
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: East Perth
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This restaurant is AH-MA-ZING!!!! Great food, great service with lovely cosy ambiance. We had the most AH-MA-ZING degustation ever...all cooked and created with perfection and attention to small details, lovely taste and some were very interesting combination. We also ordered some drinks. I had Fluffy Duck cocktails...tasted very refreshing.

We waited quite a bit to get a Saturday booking. We waited for about 3 months or so. But oh it was so worth waiting for that long cos everything didn't disappoint at all.

We had in total about 11 dishes. It started off with their own homemade bread - white and wholemeal breads with yummy spread. The bread was soooo fresh, soft and made with high quality. My fav was the wholemeal one. You can top up the bread as many times as you like :-) but I suggest not to do this as you would end up really full and not enjoying all the courses til the end. Trust me, you stil got a long way to go :-D

So we had:

Starter - grated white chocolate with salmon roe. Salmon and chocolate?? Mmm interesting!
Prawns ceviche - never had raw prawns like this before. It's been soaked in lemon juice and was so yummy
Daikon, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds and chestnut - amazing sauce!
Marron with carrots and wax flower - again, amazing sauce!
Chicken and rice with miso soup, seaweed and mushrooms - slurp!
Beef with artichoke and horseradish. Oh how I wish I could up the plate and lick the sauce :-)
Pork, octopus, kimchi served on white cabbage
Coconut ice cream & guava as palate cleanser
Rustleberry sorbet with fizzy grapes - this fizzy grapes really got my tongue
Chocolate with popcorn, caramel & prune for desserts - OH TO DIE FOR!
Lastly, mint tea with white chocolate and lemon berries - The berries were one of a kind. Apparently it takes really long time to grow these berries. So much so that Amuse even has their own farm growing it to maintain stable supply.

Needless to say I finished every single dish to the last bits. All clean plates!

I do have to say I didn't expect the location to be amongst residential area though. I thought it was like a stand alone restaurant. It took me a bit of time to find the place while driving down the road cos there's not much street lighting so the road was very dark at night. And the restaurant logo is not displayed in any stand-out position at all.

Also, once you walk into the restaurant, you will see a big bar code on the left hand side of the big wall. Do ask the staff what the bar code is for. It has very special story behind it :-) It should pique your curiosity.

Now about the service, as I mentioned it was great service. Every time a dish came out, the person who served it would explain what the dish was and what ingredients they used. It seemed to me that it's actually the chef himself who cooked that particular dish that actually served the dish too so the chef knew exactly what ingredients they used. I think this was such a great service because then they had no trouble at all in explaining or remembering the ingredients. And we actually could understand what they said as well so it's a nice extra to know what we're eating instead of going "Mmm what's this what's that?" Unlike other restaurant that I had been to, it's not the chef who served the food. Hence, the waiter/waitress would stumble across some words trying to remember what to say. This was not bad but just funny hehe and sometimes we couldn't really understand some of what they said too. So Amuse seems to recognise this and do things a bit differently.

But one little critics about the service...at the beginning of the night before we started ordering, one waiter asked if we wanted to order any drinks which we did. And while waiting for the drinks, we were asked again and again by 3 or 4 waiters/waitresses of the same question. So we just thought it's a bit stupid to be asked same question and we had to reply same answer. So yeah, but this is just a minor thing though...

Anyway we had a perfect night and thought it's totally worth the price. It's not cheap but considering the quality of food that we're getting, it's jst right price. Degustation is definitely not for everyone. You have to have the want to enjoy food and savour it and not just look at the portion size. And you also have to set the time aside for 3 - 4 hrs to enjoy the whole course. So if this is not for you, then degustation won't be enjoyable at all.

If you want to go in weekends, be prepared to wait for at least 3 months cos it fills up very quickly just like that. And they also just introduce a new policy of charging deposit of $50/pp when you make a booking. So if you cancel within 48 hours, you will lose this deposit.

Amuse definitely stands out for me as a great place to enjoy degustation menu.
Do come here and try it for amazing food.
I'll be back soon in 1 week time. Surprise me, Amuse!!! :-)

There are newer reviews for Restaurant Amuse

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I took my partner here for our 6 year anniversary. We did the Alcohol pairing with our degustation. Very quaint inside and as you walk in you are greeted with amazing service. Throughout the whole night the service was impeccable. Our food (which I cannot remember all our dishes as it was a little while back) was interesting, intricate and most of all TASTY!!! I am a little fussy with food however I was so pleased with everything we had! Nothing was out of order and I had special dietary requirement and they were pleased to accomodate. Which made me feel more comfortable. A great place to treat yourself or a love one. A must go in my eyes!

2  Thank RenataJ88
Reviewed July 19, 2014

From the moment we were seated at our table, the magic journey for our taste buds begins. It was like everyone at Amuse was a personal group of guides showing us what the best of local WA produce can be used to make beautiful & delicious food for our taste buds to truly enjoy.

The staff was exceptional in their service, taking care of us every step along the way. Lighting is dark but enough to show me the star (the food) and I feel the dark lighting adds the perfect touch of magic & mystery to this culinary journey of discovering how wonderful food can taste.

We would like to extend our best compliments to everyone at Amuse. Thank you very much for taking us on this wonderful journey. You are the best!!!

1  Thank Gladear
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We were given a voucher for the degustation/wine combo - at Christmas and chose to use it on a Tuesday night. The space is interesting -- think an ex-house. Area we were put into was a long 'bit' and our table was at the very back. Service pretty patchy. Forgot my champagne - it arrived after we questioned where it was - by which time my husband was half-way through his drink. To their credit we were not charged for this. The sommelier was a sad case. Almost rote learned the various wines and no passion at all. Most of the staff are from overseas and that's fine (sommelier is too) but we need to understand what they are saying as the whole 'drama' of this meal is the unfolding experience. Having been to THE Vue de Monde in Melbourne last year, this is Perth's finest. But lacks the discreet staff - and there's clearly a 'pecking' order too - as the sommelier would NOT take an empty glass/plate, just moved them to the table's edge for someone else to collect. Loathe that pretentiousness - if you've touched it, take it away!!! Would return as it is an experience!!!

3  Thank Hartley5002
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

Loved this restaurant!!! The food was absolutely amazing and given 2 out of 4 at the table had special requests we were absolutely blown away. Food was delicious, wine pairing was great and service exceptional. The knowledge of the food and wine by the waitstaff/chefs was impressive. Definitely an all around wonderful experience.

1  Thank Annmarie C