“Fantastic!!”

Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: East Perth
Description: Multi award winning fine dining, special occasion Restaurant with a 3 Michelin star experienced chef.
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Had an absolutely fabulous lunch at Friends today. Did the Truffle Degustation menu and there was not a fault with any course. Don't fear the truffle icecream, it was divine! Thank you SO much!!

2  Thank Kym D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,032)

Reviewed August 1, 2014

A group of 4 of us dined at Friends last night for the Truffle Degustation and it was simply superb. Every one of us had an extremely pleasant dining experience.

Now the food, the soup was delicious and piping hot, the smoked salmon tasted wonderful with great flavour and we all decided on the beef cheeks and it did not disappoint. The meat just literally fell apart and melted in your mouth. The flavours were simply wonderful. The cheese plate was simple & elegant and the flavours were just what your palate needed after the beef. And then the desert was to die for - everyone on the table just about licked their plates! The serves were appropriately sized - I expected smaller sizes being degustation but these were very generous.

At the end of the evening we were entertained with a few card tricks which made us remember the fining dining experiences of yesteryear and it was a quirky way to end the evening.

The staff were attentive and professional without being intrusive.

Friends has always been a fantastic restaurant and from our experience it still remains so. We will definitely be returning again.

1  Thank BrinksMP
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I am in two minds on how to rate our experience yesterday. We had booked a truffle degustation via Scoopon and I believe we got excellent value for money based on what we paid. I would do that again.

But if the goal of that promotion was to find customers who will come back for full price meals, that was not achieved. There were just too many small flaws in each dish that on 'Masterchef' would have been enough for contestants to be sent home.

The taste of the soup was lovely, and on a winter day it could have been a perfect first dish to warm up with. But although the waitress served it wearing cotton gloves the plates were cold and as a result the soup was only lukewarm.

The lemon and lime cured salmon unfortunately did not have any citrus notes. Had it been cured at all or was this just sashimi topped with truffle shavings?

The fillet steak (an upgrade from the beef cheeks) was cooked medium to well done - not as ordered "medium to rare, closer to rare". And to my surprise it had quite wide fully cooked bands - it obviously was pan fried, not cooked sous vide as should be the standard now in high end restaurants. It was a top quality piece of meat though and withstood that treatment remarkably well. Unfortunately my plate had very little of the truffle sauce - had I not been allowed to steal some from my wife I would have been very disappointed.

The cheese course: why would the bread and butter be cleared off the table before the cheese course? Weird! But so was the very salty flavour of the cheese itself which totally overpowered the truffle aroma and any other flavours the cheese might have had.

Saltiness continued into the dessert course, the salted caramel had a bit too much of it. The truffle ice cream on the other hand was perfect and went very well with the cheesecake.

Also positive: the wines were very well matched with the food indeed. And if anything the portions served were more generous than needed - as my hangover will attest to, despite not finishing the last glass.

1  Thank share_this_story
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We recently had a most enjoyable dining experience at Friends, for a birthday celebration. The hosts are professional and friendly, the restaurant looks over the Swan River and is beautifully furbished, and the service is faultless. But to the most important thing - the food! It delights the taste buds and the eye, and there are many extra touches, such as the amuse-bouche, canapes and pre-dessert (! - I have never struck a pre-dessert before and loved it), which are complimentary. I highly recommend this restaurant to spend time with friends or work colleagues.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

We went to this restaurant on Saturday 19th July for our Wedding Anniversary after reading the reviews on Trip advisor a rare treat for us to have time on our own without the children..well what mistake !! We arrived at 7pm and was shown to our table by a lady who I assume was the owner, she barely said 2 words to us, but gave us 2 menus to choose from one for $95 a head and the other for $135 ...she asked if we wanted a drink and then left us....the drinks did arrive within 5 mins but that was the last time anyone spoke to us!!! ...we sat there for 50 mins and nobody came to take our order and to add insult to injury the man went to serve another couple who had only be sat down for 15 mins!!...disgraceful....it only takes you about 3 mins to choose between the 2 menus and the restaurant was only 60% full ..so no excuse for a restaurant who is ment to have won awards for service!! ...I have never been treated so badly by a restaurant before, so after 50 mins we got up and left, I told the lady we were leaving due to nobody coming to take our order for 50 mins and she said nothing...didn't try to make us stay or really apologise...then the man came over who I think was the owner ( husband and wife team) and all he could say was people kept asking him about the wine....what a pathetic excuse....you totally ruined my Wedding Anniversary and our night away...I would think twice before booking this restaurant as you probably won't get any food !!

11  Thank Louise T
Clyde B, Owner at Friends Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2014

It is quite disturbing to read a review that has "disgraceful" as its heading. With that in mind I referred to our security cameras to see when this reviewer arrived & vacated the restaurant as the only substantive problem as stated is that they were ignored for 50 minutes for the taking of their order.
The video showed that the reviewer arrived at 7.06pm and vacated at 7.43 some 37minutes later not 50 minutes at all.
They were probably late because if you read the other review they did about their accommodation that night you will read that they had to wait for a taxi.
Yes a 37 minute wait to order could be excessive but at no stage did a request to order come from the table to any of the staff.
We did offer an apology but this fell on deaf ears as the reviewer left without paying for their drinks. That special table on the window that was requested for an anniversary dinner was left empty.