“Stay away from this place”
Review of 44 King Street - CLOSED

44 King Street
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Today I had a very disappointing experience at No 44 King Street Cafe. I ordered the Balinese Duck Dish priced at approximately $43 as a treat . This meal was the worst meal I have ever been served at a cafe. It was disgusting. I phoned the duty manager later in the day to complain about the meal. I had not compained at the time as this cafe was the chosen venue of friends as a Christmas celebration gathering and I did not wish to make them feel uncomfortable. The duty manager advised nothing could be done about the situation other than passing the message on to the chef. I will never visit this cafe again.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I went for lunch here recently and the menu offered a range of options for lunch. Some of the meals are well priced while some are a tad expensive.

The meal I ordered was nice but it was a small serving and wasn't what I expected. The meal didn't come with a side serve of salad or chips. My friend ordered something different and her meal was large and came with a side of chips. It must just depend on what you order.

I was only offered a drink once and would have prefered another. I must say though it was great that they allowed us to split the bill as this is hard to come by these days.

Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

The food was good but the service wasn't even though the staff were friendly and trying their best.
Our waitress told us that she didn't like wine which isn't great when the wine list is 3x longer than the menu.
We got the wrong wine, poor/no advice on the wines and slow service for water and when we had questions.
We felt the staff were doing their best but hadn't been trained or well selected for the bistro.
Nice ambiance.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Passed this place by a few times, looked interesting, and decided to try it out this time around. The dinner started fantastic. We started with bread, which was good but aided by the excellent olive oil. My girlfriend had the Moroccan prawns on bed of salad with rosewater dressing. I had the crab dumpling chowder, which was good, but the portion was small for $23 (only three dumplings). Where the train started to come off the tracks was with the shared quinoa and raisin tabouleh salad. The tabouleh lacked both lemon and the advertised raisins, leaving it bland at best, although the tomatoes in it were fresh. We brought this up to the waitress, and she arranged to have our dessert comped. They originally wanted to show us cakes in the window to have for free, but we insisted on having a dessert off the menu. The chocolate rum and praline mousse was good, but the bread-like object separating the praline cream and chocolate rum sides was soft and flavorless. There was the guest cockroach who, despite his lack of senses, seemed to be staring at our table. I was ready to walk out of there somewhat satisfied, but the attitude of the hostess regarding the comped dessert killed whatever good will I was willing to lend the restaurant. They looked at us as if we were mugs to complain about the salad, and then tried to correct my girlfriend on the proper ingredients in a tabouleh. If you're going to vary the ingredients in a dish, you damn well better make sure you keep the balance of acidity and sweetness correct. Without the lemon juice, whatever dressing they threw in there didn't provide the former, and the lack of advertised raisins didn't provide the latter. The hostess would have done well to apologize for the problem salad, but ruined whatever good feelings I would have had about the place. Love the atmosphere and the decor, but don't see myself coming back.

1  Thank bengaltiger95
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Had coffee & cake in afternoon & was very nice. Went back for dinner in the evening .....greeted nicely but was then ignored until we actually stood up & waved at the girl at bar to get some attention. Seriously someone there has taken their " eye off the ball" ....such a pretentious menu & the biggest wine list I've ever seen. I had a warmish bit of "rubber tube" ( octopus) on a bed of very bitter rocket, no dressing , segments of orange & green olives arranged on the plate. It was tasteless & horrible at $23... My husband had 4 slices of 'Angus ' steak at $44..prices are up there but not the quality. The decor is dated & fussy ....tourist pamphlets at till area are from 2011 & the staff are lazy & unprofessional. Don't bother...great street.....tish restaurant.