“They dropped the ball”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Perth CBD
Reviewed October 11, 2012

It was my 4th time at Nine Fine Food, the first 3 times being about 2 years ago, and I was really happy with the food and the value then (see my past review).
The specials displayed on a board are gone, which leave you with 5 or 6 starters and mains.
The starters were good (most are $14), I had the tooth fish, it was nice but didn't blow my mind.
We both had the same main: Duck and Scallops (all mains are $34). The value was terrible: one leg of duck and 2 scallops (not the best ones you can get) with just a few bits veggies scattered around and a sauce (pretty bland).
Whoever took our order should have recommended that we get a side of veggies...
The size of the dessert (tiramisu) was just ridiculous, even if it was only $6.
Now, if you go to the toilet you just step in an other world, it just disgusting, and trust me there is nothing remotely japanese about them.
Using a white corrector to amend the menu instead of re-printing a 0.01c of paper is just plain lazy, I am now left to wonder forever what was the second half of my tiramisu (the price wasn't amended...).
I think my last point resume my all experience: laziness... You sure dropped the ball.

2  Thank Alavotre
There are newer reviews for Nine Fine Food Modern Japanese

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Great modern japanese styled food, service, food, atmosphere and price all very good.Although not trdaitional Japanese the food was more to my taste

Reviewed September 21, 2012

we've been here twice and enjoyed the meal both times. The food is beautifully presented, fresh and some lovely and unusual flavours in all the dishes. The servings are small so you can easily share. highly recommended. Suggest you book, its usually full.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

It might have been the wonderful company (my man, his sister and her husband) but our dinner here was just a beautiful evening. We got the 4 course (of your choice) menu - and I just loved the sashimi as an entree but everything was so tasty and fresh. With the entertainment card making the dinner so very reasonable for all. Overall good service too (although one drink was spilled and not replaced...) It would have been five stars if they re-imbursed or tried to replace the spilled champagne.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We enjoy a good Japanese meal and tried Nine Fine as a birthday treat. I would say our experience in a word disappointing.
The restaurant is nicely appointed and comfortable. The food is described as Japanese fusion, so not for the Japanese food traditionalist. The menu was limited in scope and there was absolutely no sushi to be had. Our meals from the set menu were good to excellent in quality. Our server was the greatest problem. She probably should not been at work that night as she was obviously having a bad day.
Will I go back again? Probably not as there is better Japanese to be had in Perth. Would I recommend this venue to a friend? Yes but only if they are not expecting to find a hint of traditional Japanese food and accepting of average service.