“Good but expensive”

Ranked #275 of 1,499 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: East Perth
Description: Located on the street level of Adelaide Terrace in Perth, Joe's Oriental Diner features a sumptuous array of dishes from Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore - each prepared in a spectacular open kitchen. The meals are inexpensive and each carries a 'chilli coding', indicating whether they are spicy or mild in this Asian restaurant.
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had a dinner here while staying at Hyatt in Perth.
The service is excellent and the quality of the food is very good even if I must say that the price for what we ate is too high.

1  Thank Agi94

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I recieved a 'Australia's Best Resturants' $100 giftcard at Christmas and Joes Oriental Diner was one of the only resturants in Perth on the list of options so we decided to go there for New Years Eve dinner.

First off i'll say that Joes Oriental Diner is not worthy of being on a list of Australia's best resturants. I ordered the thai green curry, i asked to have it with out eggplant but apparently you can't make changes because it's already made.. I asked the waitress if they were easy to take out and she said yes & I also asked if it was very spicy and she said no.

When my meal arrived I saw that there was literally about 15 huge chunks of eggplant, the chicken was full of fat and it was so spicy I felt like my mouth was on fire. When I told the waitress that this isn't what I wanted she was very rude and said "if there is nothing wrong with the food you cant change it for a different dish, you need to pay for both" So I didn't eat any of it.

Although I wanted to leave at this point we still had money on the gift card and decided to get dessert.. ordered 1 bowl of coconut and lime ice cream and it took 30 minutes to get to us. It tasted like something you would buy from the supermarket.. nothing special.

Then to top the whole night off they wouldn't accept the giftcard, so we had to PAY for this horrible meal.

So to sum it all up service is terrible, staff is rude, food is foul and over priced and for a 5 star hotel this is a sad excuse for a resturant. Don't waste your money.

1  Thank neeve12346
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Joe's Oriental Diner in the Hyatt Hotel has authentic asian dishes from Malaya, Thailand, Singapore & China. Wife and I eat their at least one fortnight.

1  Thank Ray48
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Two of us ate here on 21st December and it was a beautiful meal. The service was prompt and attentive. Ordered the Stir fried Chilli Chicken with cashews and the vegetables in ginger, plus a rice. The meal was delivered piping hot with beautiful flavour and a good serving size, plus a generous amount of cashews in the chilli chicken dish. We will certainly be returning !

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This looked tempting. A good location. A good story about how the restaurant got it's name. But it all fell apart with the food. I think that's the trouble when restaurants go pan-asian. i.e. jacks of all cuisines, master of none. The menu has a wide range of Asian classics.
I tried the Pad Thai - tasteless, small tail-less (school?) prawns, virtually no peanuts.
Many better choices in Perth at far lower prices - e.g. Han's Cafe and they are a chain!

1  Thank ozrotorhead