“Not really Japanese food, Bad service and the lady who owns the restaurant cannot even smile!”

Yoshiya Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #659 of 1,432 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Perth CBD
Neighborhood: Perth CBD
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I was there today and the experience was terrible! I am in Perth for travelling and after I finished my day tour, I just wanted to find a place to have diner. So I went there just by myself and I think this is partly the reason why I didn't get a warm welcome from the lady who looked like the owner of the restaurant because she didn't expect to get much profit from only one guest. I ordered a fried vegetables and water, but the waitress brought me a bottle of spring water which would cost money. So I just told her that I just wanted tap water. The dish was just with some salt and soy sauce but it costed me 12 bucks. I have been to many authentic Japanese restaurant in cairns, Sydney and Melbourne as well, this is the worst I have ever had. The owner and the staff there all spoke Chinese , but I think it is ok that Chinese people do Japanese cuisine as long as they can cook authentic Japanese food. Because originally, I am also a Chinese, I can cook some Japanese dishes by myself too.But the food I had there definitely didn't taste like what I expected. And the worst part was the attitude of the owner. I hadn't even seen her smile since I went into the restaurant. After I finished my dinner, I asked one of the waitress for paying the bill. I was waiting there for her to bring the bill to my table, however, after a few minutes, the lady just asked me to pay at the counter. I was fine with that until I asked for the tax invoice. The lady with the Black face just gave me a piece of paper she used to write down the order and it was definitely not the official tax invoice because it wasn't a printout and no GST shown on it! She said there was a ABN number on it so it was the invoice! I think she just wanted to avoid paying tax by doing this,however, it wasn't a right way to do business in Australia. Maybe she think I am just a Chinese tourist who doesn't know the Australian laws so she can do whatever to her best interest.
Anyway, it was the worst dining out experience I have ever had in Australia! If you want have authentic Japanese food and decent service, don't go this restaurant!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Not your upmarket restaurant decor but pleasant enough and cuisine taste up with the best. It is also a BYO. I tried salmon sashimi for an entree followed by a teriyaki chicken main. The latter was excellent, the best of this type of dish to date. I accompanied it all with a suitable local white wine. Service was efficient and pleasant. I departed feeling satisfied without a huge dent in my wallet. I will happily return.

1  Thank Bikingroy
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

This Japanese has a genujne feel reminiscent of downtown Tokyo. Sparse decor but fresh ingredients and authentic flavors are what this cuisine is all about. Sashimi was perefect. The seafood tepanyaki perfectly cooked. Not Western adapted at all. Would return in a heartbeat.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

The restaurant was only a couple of hundred metres from our hotel and we walked down to take a look and decided to stay upon seeing how spotlessly clean the place was.

The menu was very well set out with both set menus and a la carte options. It was a bit pricey but the food was delicious and most graciously and daintily served by the lovely waitresses in kimonos.

We had egg and prawn sushi and gorgeous crisp tempura prawns and vegetables accompanied by salad and miso soup soup and piping hot green tea.

The only slight negative was that the wooden floor and wooden furniture made things very loud and the restaurant was quite busy, making conversation a trifle difficult at times. My partner is very tall and found it difficult to fit his legs comfortably under the table as it was a little on the low side but this was a minor problem.

We liked it so much we went back again for lunch the next day. We look forward to calling in there again when next in Perth.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

not tasty taste like corn flour everything was over priced and not worth the money at all!