“disappointed”
Review of Halo - CLOSED

Halo
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Perth CBD
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Yes venue is beautiful. yes staff are attentive although a little impersonal.

However, the food was terrible. I have never been driven to review a restaurant before however I could not reconcile the glowing reviews I read about the food here and the food that arrived on our plate and feel the need to warn others before they waste their money. Perhaps there was a very very junior chef on last night.

The asparagus starter I had tasted only of salt, could not see the quinoa anywhere. the apsaragus was over cooked. My kingfish main - the fish tasted old. the cucumber was over-pickled and oversweet. no other real flavour. my partner had the pork entree and the look of disappointment at the first mouthful of his birthday dinner I won't forget for a long time. the pork crackling was old and chewy. the pork was tasteless. He had the duck for the main, one part was undercooked and chewy, the leg was stewed.

We had two drinks each and this cost nearly $180. completely over-priced. Don't know how they got such good reviews.

Very very disappointing and won't be going there again to see if last night was an aberration.

1  Thank Disappointed968

Reviewed January 4, 2012

We came across Halo by accident and once I had read the desserts menu we never looked back. Every tim ewe visit Perth Halo is on our list of places in which to teat ourselves. The valhrona chocolate dessert is one of the best I have ever had!

Reviewed December 14, 2011

Decided to treat my partner to a nice weekend in the city. It all went good we had a terrific trip down the Swan river a trip round Fremantle in the tram and some excellent commentary. There was only one thing that soured our trip. That was the quality and the cost of the meal at Halo restaurant. The starters where fine, at $24 each you would expect the presentation to be good but tasted average. though we baulked at the wine prices. Cheapest $12 a glass. Then I decided on the scotch lamb. Presentation good again, but noticed some fat and more fat until I got to the meat. My partner questioned what kind of chef would serve up a lump of fat dressed under a fancy name?
Lesson I took from this dismal meal was never to accept junk food from a ‘chef’ - even if you are dinning in pretentious so called up market restaurants.

1  Thank James A
Reviewed December 8, 2011

We had a Christmas function at Halo, it was really lovely the food was excellent in both presentation and quality. I could not fault the service it was also excellent.

Reviewed December 8, 2011

I wish I could eat presentation because I would be more satisfied than I am now. The food was nicely presented but poor quality. Is a bowl of cos lettuce leaves tossed in balsamic vinegar the best they can do for a salad?

I had grilled prawns as a starter and that was a mistake. Hasn't anyone told the chef that overcooked prawns are rubbery and tough?

I had the 300 g black angus steak. What a mistake. Tasteless, boring meat. Must have been an unloved cow.

The dessert was nicely presented and was probably the best thing they served. I only wished it was a little better.

1  Thank PerthFrequent_Flyer