“Feels like eating salt bar with a hint of dead sea creature smell”

Balthazar Bar Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 1,450 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Perth CBD
Description: Bar scene, special occasion dining, entertaining clients
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My wife and I went there for my birthday just over a week ago. The atmosphere was good and the food selection was alright. We ordered crab with squid ink and I had pork belly for entree. She almost puke on the food as it taste very salty and very smelly (yes! like a dead sea creature smell!). My pork belly was salty as well and kinda cold, so the pork belly is tough, chewy and the fat was building up/solidify.
We were hoping the main meals would be better... but unfortunately it weren't! Again, my wife fish had a stink smell and the broth were very salty. My steak was ok once you take off the outer layers as it was salty as well.
We both can eat salty food, but the overall food at Balthazar was as if the chef dump the whole jar into the pan! The seafoods were not fresh at all, worse than the fish market at Thailand wet market.

To be fair, they had a very nice roast potato and baby carrot as a side dish...

1  Thank perth_food_traveller

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Love the cuisine and very different environment. Very romantic setting and if you need that extra intimate room, they do have a booking for private function for up to 10. Small area, but suits intimacy or for business dinner. Lovely menus and great staff.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We live in Singapore and come once or twice a year on holiday to Perth area and try all the best restaurants (and the beaches) of the region. And really Balthazar is our favorite restaurant by far ! It has become one of the main reasons we come on holiday to Perth !

The food is impeccably executed like in most top class restaurants but there is always a plus, a genuine sincerity and a sense of what is the real Cuisine. Eating at Balthazar make you really feel not only the Chef's fantastic talent but also his absolute passion for the best food and the best products.

This impression is also allowed because you have enough in your plate to really enjoy the flavours as opposed to many restaurants often serving a serie of (very good) amuse bouche or starters than real meals...for a much higher price.

Even the "brasserie" type of service seems to contribute to the overall experience of well being.

I want to finish this review with a message to the chef: Thank you for giving us so much pleasure, Please don't change anything !

1  Thank oliedecock
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My partner and I visited Balthazar for our third time last night (Valentines), it seems that every special occasion we go there because it is just too good not to!

I don't actually have enough words to describe how much we love this place.

I loved the candied apples with blue cheese aperetif we had last night, an amazing little taster, and they were free!

Starters we have had -
Lamb ribs - you MUST order these. I don't usually like lamb but these are just slow cooked to perfection and the mint sauce that comes with them is equally fantastic.
Pork crackling - I don't think this is on the menu anymore but it was very weird and wonderful, if it ever comes back I suggest you try it!
Prawns - the king prawns were amazingly cooked but the little ones were too small to take the shells off so we left them!

Mains -
Steak - Although the rest of the menu looks amazing I end up ordering the steak every time because it is just cooked so perfectly I couldn't imagine not eating it. We order the roasted duck fat potatoes on the side to share, these are lovely too. Everything is lovely.

Desserts -
Chocolate caramels with smoked salt - AMAZING!! I would suggest you share this dessert because although there is not a lot of eating in it, it is verrrrry sweet. The smoked salt accompaniment is perfect for the caramels.
Rasberry lollypops - another weird and wonderful dish, very tasty, doesnt beat the caramels though.

The service is great too, the waiters know the menu very well, every time you nip to the loo they come to the table and refold your napkin.. every time!! They even fill up your glass for you..

The ambience is lovely, the decor is nice and the candlelight makes it a very romantic meal out!

As you can see, I can't rate this place highly enough. I have recommended it to all my friends. You MUST go.. go on.. you deserve it.

Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Our reservation was at 9pm, and we were ushered to the cocktail area. It was a good thing we agreed on the (fresh but room temperature) oysters by the waiter as we were only seated an hour later! I then realised that the staff were waiting for us to indicate when we wanted to be seated!

After that minor keffufle, we ordered and received our food relatively quickly. Highlight dishes were:

Entrée:
Lamb ribs - best I've had. Slow cooked to fatty perfection!
Prawns: I like deep fried tasty prawns tho most of it were scampi (little prawns that you can eat whole) but the chilli dip with it was divine!

Mains:
Duck - words could not describe the explosion of flavours that went of in my mouth. It was glorious, tasty and tender.
My husband really liked the Pork (with black pudding) but it was too gamey for me.

Desert:
We had the soy soft serve with fruit, as refreshing as it was it was very slightly disappointing to have room temperature food that is meant to be cold again.

That said service was wonderful (inspite of the minor misunderstanding to begin), and the warm food was probably some of the best I've ever had in my life.

Fully recommend. But save up. A bottle of champagne and our said dinner put us back almost AUD400. But Perth is pretty expensive anyway, so the price tag was very much expected.