“Good food, but oh so expensive”

Balthazar Bar Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 1,499 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Perth CBD
Description: Bar scene, special occasion dining, entertaining clients
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is a long standing Perth restaurant which is always busy. The food is consistently excellent, but $20 for a glass of Italian Chardonnay? Perth is a boom town so this is the norm, not the exception. The menu is limited and I have tried both fish and steaks on my visits to the restaurant. It is just consistently fine food.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Before leaving Australia my wife and I thought we had to try this restaurant regarded as the best choice in our Lonely Planet Guide.
Of course there is nothing wrong with the restaurant and it was in fact full on the evening we were there but we found the menu uninspiring written in a loosely fashion which is typical of these so called modern australian restaurants. What we had was not bad but certainly not value for money.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We went on a Saturday without reservation and got a table in the bar area which was fine. Winel list is superb and we had a great bottle of cabernet sauvignon. Great effort is put into the dishes. I felt though that with my steak there were too many other flavours on the plate. All tasty but a little too much. Overall a nice experience and I feel we should go back to taste some other dishes and then come to a conclusion on the food. It is true that it is a little pricy.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I normally dine at Frasers and Rockpool but we'd heard a few good reviews about this restaurant so we decided to give it a go.

My husband had called earlier in the day and made a booking for 6:30pm. When we arrived, we where informed that we didn't have a booking. This is the first time this has happened to us and it was not a good first impression. The waiter didn't apologise at all but offered to give us the first available table, we agreed and took a seat at the bar where we were given a wine list but no complimentary wine to compensate for the inconvenience.

After waiting about 20 minutes we asked to speak to the manager. When she did come along looking very cranky and superior, we explained the situation to her, she in turn interrogated us, asking us what time we called and whom we spoke to etc. My husband was unsure of the time and the identity of the person he spoke to. She told us that we must be lying about making that reservation because there was no one in the office at that time. We were of course shocked at her insulting response. This is not the kind of service you should get at a pricey restaurant. I was next to my husband when he made the booking and am sure i didn't hallucinate the whole thing.

Anyway we left and called one of our usual restaurants explaining what had happened at Balthazaar. 'Their loss we are happy to have your business' was their response. Such a huge contrast. The point is when you make a booking write down the time you called, who you spoke to, then call an hour earlier to make sure the person you spoke to had the wherewithal to write down the booking. I personally will never go there again and will tell everyone that mentions this restaurant to me about my experience. Your Loss

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Always a favourite for taking clients to etc and I can see why, but for anyone its got a great (and underused) bar. The ambience is spot on.

The food is good but also pretty expensive but all told its one of the better options in town.