“bed bug infestation and a bad attitude!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Perth City YHA

Perth City YHA
Ranked #12 of 60 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Karratha, WA
“bed bug infestation and a bad attitude!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2009

I stayed in the YHA on two different nights one before i tavelled to scotland for 2 weeks then one on my return.
After finally getting to sleep over the noise of the trains i woke up a couple of times during the night with bites but looked at my bed and thought it must have been mozzys, when i went got to scotland i was still getting bit and couldn't figure out what it was since its def too cold for mozzys! The bite were really big and itchy like bed bug bites i searched everything and couldn't see them but i changed my bag and wahed all my clothes just in case.
On my return i spent 3 days travelling from edinburgh to perth and i was shattered by the time i got to oz couldn't wait to get to the YHA and get a good nights sleep.
On this second night i was woken at 12am itchy as hell and finally i got out of bed at 3am with more than 30 bites (thats no exageration). I looked on my bed and found bedbugs crawling on the sheets and on the walls! There were also black marks on the walls (bed bug crap) which means they have obv been there for a while and not been treated properly!! I was pretty pissed off and sleep deprived so went down to complain to the night staff who told me i would have to wait till 8 for the day manager to come in and till then i could stay on a sofa!!! I didn't pay over $30 to sleep on a sofa!
After speaking with the day manager i did get my money back but there was no apology and his attitude stank! Its was as if it was my fault i had a crappy night!
Even though the YHA has got more facilities and is closer to town i would def recommend staying in one of the other backpackers like underground or ozzy inn they may be smaller and not as fancy but its a way better atmosphere and you know you'll get a good nights sleep!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Karrathakid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Greater London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2009

Perth City YHA's converted from the old St John Ambulance building downtown. The location is convenient if very slightly seedy and right next to the railroad tracks. The hostel is a typical Aussie YHA: not exciting but clean and functional. The bar (and hostel) is surprisingly affordable, especially given that Perth is a very expensive city nowadays.

Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2009

I did not check any reviews for this hostel before, so the train noise problem came to me as a surprise. The only time I could sleep was between 1:50 am and 4:50 am. the honking and braking trains felt like they´re driving through my room. Well, indeed the track is only 3-4 meters away.

I asked for a quiter room next day and this one was on the right side of the building, first floor (double room without bathroom). The noise was still anyoing, but at least I could sleep for 6-7 hours (wearing earplugs).

To sum up: The hostel is not well designed. No rooms should be located 3-4 meters beside a busy (perth central...) train-track, while the kitchen and TV room is on the not so busy road-side. My complain was handled ok, therefore I rate the hostel with 2stars. This was the first backpacker after 2 month travelling that made it impossible to sleep for me. This review reflects my personal opinion only.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Achim444

Travelers are raving about these Perth hotels

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2009

This is a modern YHA hostel with excellent facilities eg internet, kitchen, pool, phone for people to receive calls, lockers and laundry. We found the rooms to be small but clean and comfy. It is in a great location - only minutes walk to the city centre and the train station. There is a bit of noise from the train line behind the hostel, but this didn't bother us as the trains seemed to stop overnight. The staff all seemed very friendly and helpful. Not sure about the hygiene of the guy running the cafe though!
One thing to note is that the premises is licensed so no alcohol can be brought into rooms.
In all a great hostel, we would highly reccommend it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Fiji
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

Stayed in double ensuite. No problems at all. Nice TV. No view from room. Short 5-10 minute walk to downtown shopping district. No frills, but clean and nice. Also close to bus stop. Small cafe and bar in YHA.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ontheroad2009
Lucerne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2009

I did not know beforehand about the train noise problem, I just arrived with a booking for 4 nights in a single room (double with ensuite bathroom). My first impression was OK: Pleasant staff at the reception, clean room, although a bit austere, lots of facilities. I noticed the noise from the trains right away, but thought that it would become less during the night.

Wrong! I cannot describe it better than one of the other reviewers, quote: "From just before five o'clock every morning there was constant bell ringing, train horns tooting, the screeching of breaks and scraping of metal. Trains pull into the station every five minutes so there is no opportunity to nod off again." This then goes on all day until long after midnight, so besides not being able to sleep (I *did* try earplugs, it was no use) I did not even feel comfortable just *staying* in my room for a bit of privacy.

Besides the train traffic there was also a lot of noise from inside the hostel. Some of the guests were not shy to hold loud conversations both in the morning and at night; my neighbours of one night were watching TV until after midnight; in addition the door mechanisms are made such that it is impossible to close a door without it making a very loud noise (so I inadvertantly became one of the noise makers myself). These things might not be such a problem if the walls and doors were a little better soundproofed, but they are not - one can hear everything that is going on in the next room, on the corridor, or outside the building.

So even though the remaining of the hostel's services may be OK, one of the absolute basic services - rest - is not provided. Because I had booked a single room and not a dorm bed I expected a certain level of quietness. To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. I actually feel ripped off!

Final remarks:
(+) Internet access (GlobalGossip)
(-) Housekeeping staff once barged in without knocking or announcing themselves
(+) Luggage storage facility
(+) Central location
(-) Kitchen smells even in my room

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank herzbube102
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2009

Looks like quite a number of people have commented about the noise due to the proximity to the train tracks here. Well, when we got there we were really quite shocked since while we know that the hostel is near the tracks we did not expect it to be just beside it. You can imagine we were quite turned off by this fact, especially since we were given a room just beside them.

Good thing is, it turned out that the trains were not as noisy as we thought they'd be. Admittedly the train drivers do sound their honk every so often. However - it could be our eardrums malfunctioning, I don't know - we don't find them particularly loud, and could sleep 4 good nights there in our stay. If you are a very light sleeper then maybe you should reconsider, but if not, this place is really not a bad place at all.

Sadly the location, though near the train station, is not at the posher side of the city. Since we arrived in midnight, and visited Fremantle on the next day and Mandurah on the following, which resulted in us not exploring the city itself for the first few days, we were under this false impression that Perth was not as developed as we thought. Despite it not being in the more populated area the place there seemed pretty safe, so no worries about security there.

Staff there were helpful, though a tad slow at times, but that can be overlooked I guess.

Overall not a bad place to stay at all, particularly if you're looking for somewhere clean, cheap and

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends