“Wonderful Place to Stay In”
Review of Perth City YHA

Perth City YHA
Ranked #11 of 49 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Singapore, Singapore
“Wonderful Place to Stay In”
Reviewed May 19, 2009

Looks like quite a number of people have commented about the noise due to the proximity to the train tracks here. Well, when we got there we were really quite shocked since while we know that the hostel is near the tracks we did not expect it to be just beside it. You can imagine we were quite turned off by this fact, especially since we were given a room just beside them.

Good thing is, it turned out that the trains were not as noisy as we thought they'd be. Admittedly the train drivers do sound their honk every so often. However - it could be our eardrums malfunctioning, I don't know - we don't find them particularly loud, and could sleep 4 good nights there in our stay. If you are a very light sleeper then maybe you should reconsider, but if not, this place is really not a bad place at all.

Sadly the location, though near the train station, is not at the posher side of the city. Since we arrived in midnight, and visited Fremantle on the next day and Mandurah on the following, which resulted in us not exploring the city itself for the first few days, we were under this false impression that Perth was not as developed as we thought. Despite it not being in the more populated area the place there seemed pretty safe, so no worries about security there.

Staff there were helpful, though a tad slow at times, but that can be overlooked I guess.

Overall not a bad place to stay at all, particularly if you're looking for somewhere clean, cheap and

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed April 6, 2009

We stayed and tried to get an early night before a 4am wake up to airport. Check in great, nice facilties like bar/food place, did not see the pool so can't rate it, big clean kitchen, massive fridges for longer term people to store food, and internet rooms. Our room was the private ensuite and fine - small tv, air conditioner, and basic shower and sink room. Bed was really comfy and seemed clean - but we were quite close to the kitchen and opposite then mens toilet so there were voices and slamming doors a lot before midnight and that really annoyed me. But i'd stay again and maybe request a room somewhere quieter. Could hear the trains but they were not annoying I found (through my ear plugs). Seemed a social kind of place and really secure at night as someone said.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed March 30, 2009

it's located very near the train station and city centre. the beds and linen are spotless clean, the rooms are odour free and the staff are friendly and helpful. despite the fact that our room was located above the bar area, we couldn't hear much of the partying and rowdiness (maybe we are heavy sleepers!). the other facilities like kitchen, dining area, lounge and computer room are well-maintained. cost is a little pricey for the double rooms, but you are paying for a good quality backpackers, and a good night's rest!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
sydney
Reviewed March 21, 2009

Cold with air conditioners constantly on. Good on humid 40 +days .Very clean bathrooms
internet access and excellent tv/movie room with foxtel in house movies NO FREE POPCORN NO SPA BATH but free gym with sauna
the train noise is annoying on the left side of the building
right side of building is much quieter than left. Avoid room 306 to 310 because they are right above the train tracks. Security is excellent and luggage room really secure.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank helena97
Ireland
Reviewed February 21, 2009

This is a clean and comfortable hostel but I would definitely recommend that you request a room away from the train line, if you have to stay here! On our first night here we weren't so close to the train line so the noise wasn't too bad. However, we had to move rooms for the other three nights of our stay. Unfortunately, our new room was next to the train line and it was torture! From just before five o'clock every morning there was constant bell ringing, train horns tooting, the screeching of breaks and scraping of metal. Trains pull into the station every five minutes so there is no opportunity to nod off again. When we finally left the hostel, we were exhausted!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Perth hotels

Singapore
Reviewed January 22, 2009

Very neat, organized and gigantic backpacker ! It looks an apartment. I stayed in a twin bed room with TV, A/C and shared bathroom. I think the wall is thick enough, I didn't have to hear noise from next rooms.

The kitchen looks huge and so does the fridge. There are dining area, TV area, swimming pool and other comfy areas. Security is good, too.

As other reviews mention, it is right next to the railroad, but I slept well. Maybe I am not a light sleeper or my room wasn't on the side of the railroad. If you can stand the noise, location is super. There is a supermarket within 10 minutes walking. Pick-up point for 1-day tour,4-day-tour is very nearby.

As I stayed here only for 3 nights, I didn't want to buy food and cook. So café at ground level really helped me to grab good coffee and orange juice in the morning. (They serve breakfast, too)

They have storage room for your luggage for free only after check-out. Otherwise, you can use coin-locker. As I had booked a room here online before I arrived Perth, I didn't have to pay anything when check-in, which is convenient to me. ( I didn't have to carry too much AU$ )
During my stay in Perth, I tried 3 backpackers and this place has the neatest bathroom, I didn't come across any disgusting things.
please remember..... I stayed in private room and this is hostel after all. Don't expect too much, but I strongly recommend this place for tight budget travellers.

• Liked — neat, clean, new
  • Disliked — very organized but there is no theme here. it is just hostel
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mamacita1001
Vancouver
Reviewed December 8, 2008

We got there after a long flight from Vancouver, through LA and Sydney. That was lucky, since we got a room on the railway track, which means that there are screeching trains 1 meter from the window all night except between 1am and 5am. Unless you are extremly tired, you will not be able to sleep. Ear plugs are a must in this YHA. They are available at the front desk.

One of the restroom stalls looked like someone had a life-threatening accident in it, which also involved copious amount of blood. I will never forget the expression I saw on the faces of people who stepped into the stall, and then retreated in disgust. Eventually someone filled a bucket with water from the shower and tried to flush it.

The room looked tired, but it's a YHA so I didn't have any expectations in that respect.

In conclusion, if sleeping is not an activity you foresee doing , this place is OK.

• Disliked — noise from the train
  • Stayed September 2008