“Clean and convenient”
Review of Perth City YHA

Perth City YHA
Ranked #12 of 57 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times during my trip round australia, rooms are clean and you get a locker, theres a nice kitchen and a really good tv room and even a small gym. I would say this is not a very social hostel most people are working in perth or doing fly in fly out mining. Lots of british and irish staying here. Overall a pleaeant stay.

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed April 29, 2013

The location is great, but what exactly are we paying 40 Dolalrs for? No breakfast and foam mattresses? The worst we have slept on for months. The kitchen was ok, the lady tried to keep up with the cleaning, but the majority of the guest didnt feel like cleaning up after themselves. Wouldnt stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed at YHA Perth for 2 nights, in a 6-bed male dorm. The room was smallish, with standard features like reading lamps, lockers (bring your own padlocks), and an AC in good working condition (very grateful of it because those days were really hot). Luckily there were no issues with the other people in my room, which added to the good impression I have on my stay here. The room and shared shower/toilet areas are generally clean, and the showers have good water pressure which I always consider important.

The facilities that are scattered about this old building are quite complete, even though the arrangements are rather chaotic in its small corridors and mezzanines. There is a reading room, TV lounge, ample kitchen space, couches for relaxing, even a small gym (which I haven't seen in many hostels).

Location-wise, it is both strategic and unfortunate. Strategic because of its proximity to the city centre and main station, plus it is easily accessible by car. Unfortunate, because it is right beside the rail tracks and there are no double-glazed windows. I must admit that the vibe I felt here was not so touristy or family-oriented like some other YHA's. A lot of the hostel's clients seem to be construction/mining workers, as evidenced by the shoe racks that are provided in front of male dorms for the hard-boots. But it's not a problem for me, and I wouldn't mind staying here again the next time I visit Perth.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SpiceNSpruce
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I arrived in Perth after a tour from Darwin and the group stayed in another hostel that was old, stinky and terrible. I moved to the YHA just a few blocks away. It cost more, but was definitely worth it. There are discounts for YHA membership.
I stayed in a 4 bed female dorm. My first two nights were in a room with 3 other women. Due to reservations, I was moved to a 3 bed female dorm for the remainder of my week long stay. Most of the time I was in the room alone. I only had a roommate for 2 of the nights. I had a single twin bed next to the window and a nightstand and room to spread out. I was also just across from the women's toilets, which were also very clean.
The kitchen was nice and large and there were always staff in there cleaning it. The other guests were also responsible enough to wash their dishes.
The staff at reception were helpful with tour advice. There is a small bar attached that serves food. The atmosphere there is pretty laid back.
The hostel is walking distance to shopping and restaurants. The Japanese place across the street is quite affordable. The buses and train are all walking distance to get you anywhere in Perth. One downfall is that the YHA is right on the train tracks, so bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper. The trains start at 5am on the dot.
Overall, I really enjoyed the YHA in Perth and would recommend it to anyone who values cleanliness.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Amanda E
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed in different types of rooms (double private, twin shared and 6 female shared) at the YHA Perth City. Here are some feedback on the YHA Perth City:

Rooms and bathroom
For the double private and twin shared, rooms were clean. There was television in the double private and twin shared rooms. Other items that come in those rooms were air condition, chair, a simple square mirror, clothing rack, bedside table and lamp. Soap and towel were provided. Items not provided were toiletries, shower caps, fridge, safe deposit box, kettle and glasses. Bed was comfortable although for the twin shared room, I thought the single bed was a mite small even for petites. The double bed was adequate for me. Air condition in the rooms was noisy.

One gripe about the double private and twin shared rooms assigned to me was the noise level. Slamming doors can be heard until midnight. Sounds from the hostel bar can also be heard in some of the rooms. There was noise from trains passing by the back of the hostel.

Not sure if it was caused by the bad air ventilation but cigarette smoke was detected in the rooms particularly between 7 pm and midnight. This is particularly so for the private rooms on Ground floor since the smoking area is located on the Ground floor.

The 6 female shared room was occupied by 5 others when I checked in. I took the top bunk of the bed. The ladder to climb onto the top bunk was hanging lop-sided thanks to a lost screw on one side. All in all, an inconvenient and unpleasant experience trying to get to bed. Common bathrooms were clean and not much traffic during my usage hours. Bring an extra padlock for the small locker in the shared room to store your valuables. Otherwise, you will be like me: transferring all valuables into the locker while leaving one of your luggage bags unpadlocked the entire time.

Reception
Check in and check out speed was average. Reception service varies but in general they are an indifferent lot (ie neither friendly nor unfriendly, just going through the motions of work). One staff in particular was incompetent to say the least, disputing that I did not pay my AUD10 deposit on my first day of check in and that I need to pay AUD10 deposit before he can check me in for my next room as well as forgetting to provide me with sheets for the 6 shared bed. I was even assigned by this incompetent staff to a room where the previous occupant has not even checked out. Shouldn’t that already appear in the reservation system that that bed was not available?

Location and vicinity
Location wise, the hostel could not be better situated within walking distance to the Street Malls, Northbridge, Raines Square, Woolsworth, train and bus stations, hospitals and the City Library. A CAT line runs along Wellington St which YHA is located. So, no problems in getting around on your own. Food can be found in any corner near the YHA from McDonalds to Asian restaurants. There are also convenient stores nearby, if you don’t wish to shop at Coles Central (inside Raines Square) and Woolsworth. Banking transactions was also easy with banks located along the Street Malls.

Conclusion
I loved the strategic location as base for my stay in Perth. Other than that, my stay at this hostel was average. My tolerance level for the noise from the train tracks and slamming doors was still pretty high. However, the reception service I experienced at this hostel, the cigarette smoke and hostel bar noise leave a very bad taste in my mouth. Stay at this place only if your tolerance level for the issues at this hostel is high enough!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank TravelBug1081
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed here for one night, single female traveller. There are ppl who work nearby and use the bar for cheaper prices. Staff seemed friendly enough, although dont go out of their way to help. Stayed in a 4 bed dorm and there was a girl lying there most of the evening who looked like she was coming down off drugs. There are really sleazy fellas that hang about, and a few homeless ppl living there. Avoid, avoid, avoid. Did not feel safe here at all!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Irishgirl987
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This youth hostel is very clean and there are many special rooms, for instance gym, movie room, computer room, pool, and so on. The visitors were very kind for me. And I met many mates in there, so If you can stay there, you will find your best friend as me! I found a friend she was soooooo kind for me, so we're friend still now.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo