“An Absolute Treat”

Ranked #2 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Newport, United Kingdom
“An Absolute Treat”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed in the Richardson, for several days - October 10th onwards, as a special treat at the end of our four week holiday in Australia. We found it to be one of the best hotels in which we have ever stayed, and we have visited many of the most highly rated hotels in the world. It is exactly as it proposes to be i.e. a 'family run hotel' and we did get a true sense of 'family' during our stay. Sean Fields, the hotel manager did his utmost to ensure that we enjoyed our stay - with well thought out special touches such as a hand written 'welcome' card. All the staff were friendly, efficient and attentive without being obsequious - you felt that they genuinely wanted to be helpful and do their utmost to secure everything you needed in order to enjoy your stay. The Welcome Lounge had bottled water, quality (not freeze dried) coffee and handmade biscuits, free of charge - a nice touch; the resturant staff went out of their way to deliver magnificent breakfasts (the food in the Richardson was exceptional) even though we were very late one morning. The Opus resturant was outstanding - a fine dining experience indeed. The bar staff and wine waiters were knowledgable and highly efficient and the chef remembered us - one evening to the next, and prepared dishes that differed from the menu in order to give us a variety of tastes and flavours with no repition. The Spa delivered a magnificent treatment - one of the best we've experienced and our suite was beautifully appointed and spotlessly clean. Thank you so much one and all, a stay at the Richardson was a memorable conclusion to our holiday; an experience we will be aiming to repeat during our next visit to Perth. John and Lin

1 Thank linda m
Shaun F, Hotel Manager at The Richardson Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Linda M

It was an absolute pleasure meeting the both of you, I certainly am very delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Perth
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed at the Richardson for our wedding anniversary. We had a two night package that included a deluxe room, dinner at Opus, 15% off Spa Treatments and breakfast in the Conservatory Café.
Arrived at the hotel from work Friday night and the staff were very welcoming, they upgraded us to a suite as it was our first stay, the manager personally came out and welcomed us and wished us a happy anniversary.
The suite was pleasant, not the biggest we have stayed in. The mini bar was reasonably priced. The hotel itself is very modern, and currently hasn’t developed any character. It seemed empty – there was no one in the foyer (except the receptionist), and it isn’t the sort of foyer you do anything but pass through, definitely no comfy couches and coffee. It actually reminds me of an airport hotel (a high class one). There are no views of parks or river.
The Spa was great, albeit overpriced, a pity the pool was out of service.
What really let the hotel down was the breakfast in the Conservatory Café. On the first morning I had the full American breakfast. The rubbery scrambled eggs were served on burnt toast, the sausages looked boiled (?), and the fat on the bacon was still white. On day two I had the continental breakfast, which was very disappointing in range, set up in a small area where the staff did not want you standing whilst they gossiped. Both mornings we were the only ones there at eight in the morning.
West Perth as a location is very quiet, rather boring, with little nightlife as it’s filled with offices. If the weather had been nicer its proximity to Kings Park may have been a bonus. Probably a great place to stay for business.

1 Thank BethDid
Dear BethDid,
Your comments, further to your recent visit, are appreciated – thanks for identifying the aspects of your stay which you found pleasing and those with which you took issue. Your comments regarding breakfast were helpful for us and we have addressed the things that went wrong with your two breakfasts.
Regarding your comments on the lobby design and its purpose – we do not have plans to change the lobby or its purpose. It was designed to be used for guest arrivals and departures, not as a food and beverage outlet. The Richardson has three lounge areas where guests can relax and enjoy coffee and drinks. It is unfortunate that you think the hotel “lacks character”! Our location, prices and facilities are all detailed on our web site and it is regrettable that you may have had expectations which we could not provide.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We recently stayed at this establishment for our one year anniversary and were thoroughly impressed. The staff were very helpful and courteous and the room was great.

The fridge was stocked with a lot of goodies including food if you wish to purchase it with decent prices. If you are coming late at night and long distance it is great to be able to have a room that you can cook and reheat food without ordering room service so we thought that it was great that the fridge had a pizza, soup and pasta to reheat if you are hungry and don't wish for room service.

The room service menu was also inviting though we chose to eat at The Opus restaurant (which was lovely for dinner).

Lots of towels given and coat hangers where other hotels tend to cut on this unless you ask. A lovely complimentary tea was also provided.

After a long drive to get to the hotel we were very happy to stay here for our honeymoon and would love to come again!

Dear Steffy78

Thank you for choosing us as your hotel of choice for celebrating your first anniversary. I am delighted to read that your stay was comfortable and enjoyable, with all your expectations being met.
I certainly look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards
auckland
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Granted we only spent one night but could have easily stayed longer. on our short stay the staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms were decent sizes and spacious with all that you could need. Being in Perth for overnight we found that the hotel is well positioned and an easy drive to the airport.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Shaun F, Hotel Manager at The Richardson Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear scottyAuckland.
Thank you for your recent review of our Hotel. Although your stay was brief, we do find it is the first impressions that count, i am happy to hear that ours was a good one. Hopefully we will get the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our suite was very well appointed with two bedrooms, two bathrooms (one with bath) a lounge area, a dining area and a kitchenette. The beds and quality of the linens was of the highest quality. The mini bar's offerings (actually a full size refrigerator) was excellent and the most reasonably priced I have come across in a very long time. It is a terrific idea of this hotel to offer some frozen meals in the freezer section of your 'fridge. The free wifi internet was MOST welcome. It really makes a great impression on me when the hotel provides it free of charge. Thank you for that Richardson Hotel.

Our first night at the hotel we ordered room service. The quality of the food was exceptionally good. My wife had the salmon, my son had a burger and I had beef cheeks. However two nights later we again went to order room service and found that a page of the already limited offerings of room service had been removed. We checked the reduced menu with reception and were advised that the hotel had removed the page from the room service menu, "...to make guests attend at the restaurant for dinner, rather than using room service". We HAD planed to go to the restaurant the next night as it has many positive reviews. However, when the hotel decided to try and 'make' people go there by removing a great deal of the room service menu, we didn't like the feeling of being manipulated and chose not to go at all. Perusing the Opus menu we did find it limited. The changes made to the room service menu left a bad taste in out mouth.

Breakfast was of good quality, however I do believe it is priced too high. The first morning my son needed to get to a gymnastics event for which we had traveled to Perth. We were charged the full buffet menu price of $38 for him to have two pieces of toast and a juice. He didn't have the time to fully partake in all the offerings, yet we paid full price. We attended breakfast the next day. Good food, on the pricey side. After that we purchased food at the supermarket and made our own in our room's adequate kitchen facilities.

There is no valet parking. They charge you $20/day to self park. It is interesting that although they do not valet park, they give you a printed map on where to drive and send a staff member to open the gate for you, watch you park and then accompany you inside, down two flights of stairs and back to reception. With all the time that staff member put in, it would have been more efficient if they had just parked my car for me. You can park in the street with a ticket machine which costs $10.50 for 3 hours.

Having stayed at many great hotels, I felt that the staff at the Richardson tried very hard. However it feel a bit 'forced'. It's hard to explain. I think they were doing their best - it just at times felt odd. For example, when a staff member was behind the reception desk and then literally ran to the door to open it for you. It was odd. I think you either have a doorman or let people do it themselves. The staff who were trying hard though. Perhaps the Richardson might consider investing more time and effort on the things that really matter, such as providing better room service and better assistance with car parking.

We chose the Richardson to stay in as our son was attending national acrobatic-gymnastic titles which were held in Perth this year. His sport is very taxing on his body and one reason we chose the Richardson was that it has a pool/spa/gym setup. He finds that exercising in water is a great way to work out muscle strain. We booked on the hotel's website and it debited our account for the full amount of over $2000 before we even booked in. Thus, we were very disappointed to receive an email about a week before we were due to check in advising us that the pool would be shut for maintenance during our stay. So our plan of providing those facilities for our son came to naught. We were not offered any reduction in our rooms costs as a consequence of the pool being shut. This was disappointing.

I have included one photo of the very small opening between the bed and a (unnecessary) chest of drawers. The gap was ridiculously small and I think this piece of furniture should be reviewed. It made it difficult to get from my side of the bed to the ensuite.

Overall we found the Richardson to be a nice place to stay in Perth. Of particular note was the extremely great house-keeping of our room. The suite was kept in immaculate condition and I would like to thank housekeeping for that. I am not sure whether or not we would stay at the Richardson again. I think that I'd like to see some improvements in the food and beverage areas, such as improved variety and a review of the costs which I do believe to be very much on the high side, before we stayed at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank HaleyMelbourne
Shaun F, Hotel Manager at The Richardson Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear HaleyMelbourne

Thank you for taking time to express your opinions after your stay at The Richardson. We certainly appreciate your positive comments and have taken note of the three items you found to be negative.
The first of these was with regard to the room service menu – it was unfortunate that one of our regular in-room dining menu reviews took place during your visit and that the changes did not meet your expectations. The second negative you experienced was regarding the lack of valet parking – unfortunately being a very small hotel we do not have the resources to provide this service. We do provide secure parking for a $20 fee, alternatively street parking is available free after 5.00pm and on week-ends.
Your comment regarding the pool not being available surprised me. When we spoke, on your arrival, the alternative pool facilities we had arranged, a short distance from the hotel, seemed to be acceptable to you and your son. It was unfortunate that we had a situation that required urgent repairs at the pool, however we did inform you prior to your arrival that this was the case and that we would arrange alternative pool facilities for you.
Fortunately most aspects of your stay were to your satisfaction and thank you again for your comments.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

What The Richardson lacks in location is more than made up in other aspects. Comfortable room with kitchen facilities enabled us to self cater while taking advantage of the hotel's excellent service. The staff are first class, polite, professional and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and being able to retreat to our oasis after long days touring. By the way, even though the hotel is in west Perth, the CAT free bus is close by and it's really easy to get downtown, connect to Freemantle, or simply walk to the number one Perth attraction of Kings Park. Great stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Watsonsgotravelling
Thank you for your kind feedback.
It was a pleasure to meet the both of you on your recent stay with us, i will certainly be sure to pass your feedback on to the team.

Hopefully we will welcome you back soon,

Kind regards

Fremantle, Western Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed at The Richardson for a weekend break and this place cured all my stress ills! The service was attentive, personal and friendly. My room was lovely. Very well-appointed with well thought through amenities and layout. I worked in the hotel industry for ten years and I can tell there has been a lot of thought that has gone into the rooms. I ate in the cafe for breakfast which was sufficient and pleasant. The staff in there were helpful and friendly too. The 'pièce de résistance' of this place is the day spa though. One of the best I've been to. I kept falling asleep - and they just let me! I agree that with previous comments that it is pricey but the value is there in every dollar in my opinion. I didn't get to try Opus Restaurant but don't worry there will definitely be a next time!

Room Tip: I suspect the rooms facing south may have a lovely view of the tree-lined street but my view facing...