“ok but pricey”

“ok but pricey”
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

positives:
good location
clean and spacious sitting area
helpful staff
negatives:
price
additional costs such as wifi, crockery deposit (!)
dorm rooms in need of a thorough clean
kitchens not clean

overall this hostel is ok just not great and not at all worth the price. the bedroom i stayed in hadn't been cleaned in weeks or months.according to girls in the hostel there weren't better hostels in Perth city centre. I would cope with staying here again but would avoid where possible.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank JaneZoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I booked this place through Hostel World online, very affordable at $33 AUD a night, I was in a 4 bed dorm. Unlike a lot of hostels or backpackers around the world, Emperor's Crown has airconditioning! It made a difference as it was hot during the 4 days I was in Perth, so nice to cool off. I had arrived late, well after midnight as my flight was delayed, I buzzed myself in and the female receptionist was nice, opened the door for me to come in, went through the payment, and gave me my room key. Even the bathrooms are nice too! The place is kept clean with the whole area being done once in the morning. The only two drawbacks I had was the beds in the dorm room was very, very noisy and everytime I moved I could hear steel moving and creaks. The other thing was I thought I would get a complimentary towel, but I didn't. Also, one of my brother's had stayed there too but he was in the private single queen-bed room. Much more luxurious than mine. Check out the pics. I do recommend Emperor's Crown if you are on a budget and want to stay there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Toan N
Thomas O, Manager at The Emperor's Crown Hostel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hi!

We're glad you would recommend us! We strive to keep the property as clean as possible and check the rooms every single day to make sure that this is the case!

I will see if I can find a solution to the creaky bunk beds, as I can understand that it might wake you up if the person above or below gets up during the night.

Unfortunately it is only the private rooms that receive towels, one of the perks of booking a private room! We are happy to lend you a towel during your stay if you really need one though.

We hope you come visit us again soon!

Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

I only stayed for a night but the hostel is spotlessly clean and quiet (brillaint for a good nights sleep), and the Swedish couple working there absolutely amazing. You have to pay 20 dollars for cutlery (it's refundable once you give it back) which is a pain. But definitely worth a stay.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Charlotte L
Hi Charlotte L,

We're glad you enjoyed your stay! We do our best to provide a clean, quiet environment so that you can get a good night's rest!

We would love to do away with the $20 cutlery and crockery deposit, however it really works! It helps to keep the place clean and tidy as people take a lot more responsibility for their mess rather than just leaving it behind. I wish we could get rid of it but it just works too well!

We hope you come visit us again soon!

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Everything is very clean and tidy with big spacious kitchen. We are a mature couple and had the double room with en suite and A/C, what more does one need. Staff were friendly and helpful. Wifi is not free but City of Perth provides free wifi in city centre, so easy to keep up with emails. It's not the party backpackers place but is very central and will def stay there next visit to Perth

Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Carol G
Hi Carol,

Thanks for your lovely review! We're very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

We're exploring free WiFi in the property at the moment, but as you said there are a lot of free WiFi spots around and we do also have WiFi available for a small fee.

See you soon!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The staffs at EC are great, they provide lots of information and provide thorough help!
The rooms are clean and locations is great!
The wifi needs payment AUD 1 for 10 mins, but found wifi at the nearby Cultural Centre which save a little bit on wifi charges for the trip.

No pool or gym but there's a great kitchen that actually need a few new simple equipments.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank YunLingS
Hi YunLingS,

We're glad you enjoyed your stay and that we could help you out while we are here. We try and know as much as possible about the city, and if we don't know the answer to your question we will always do our best to find out!

We're ordering a few new implements for the kitchen, so next time you stay with us you will find the kitchen even better stocked than it already is!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

This is my second stay here in the last year and I've been most impressed with the Emperor's Crown compared to other hostel options around Perth. The clean this place thoroughly every morning. If you're looking for the young, rowdy party backpackers than this is not the place for you. There are a wide variety of ages here and everyone is very respectful of each others peace and space. Great location, excellent coffee next door.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thomas O, Manager at The Emperor's Crown Hostel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thanks for the review, really appreciate it! I especially agree with the part about the coffee from Crown Cafe, it's part of my morning ritual.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I arrived to Perth without knowing anyone but that immediately changed when I checked-in at Emperor's Crown. The staff is amazing, specially Seda and James, who became my family during my stay. Once I got my own place I went back to the hostel a lot just to enjoy and be part of the happy and friendly environment.
Rooms are clean, linen is provided, and I had a private toilet on the 4 shared room which was a welcomed surprise.
Hostel is in great location, 5 minutes walk to everything and quiet at night.
I stayed twice there already and I wouldn't consider any other place to stay if I'm ever near Perth again.

• Stayed November 2012
Thanks for your review, we really appreciate reviews, either good or bad. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!