“great place”

Ranked #9 of 59 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Dunkeld, Victoria, Australia
“great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights and i really liked it.
It was clean and the beds really comfortable. Also the staff was nice and helpful.
At most I enjoyed the BBQ on friday night,it was great,thanks for that.
in all I had a good time in perth and in the Emperor´s Crown.

Room Tip: the window from the room was out to the backyard,somenights it was a little bit noisy but not so bad...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Julia R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

Great place to stay and to meet a lot of backpackers, nice service. Could do with better supplies in the kitchen.
Had an awesome time there and met fantastic friends.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank marjole
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

Stayed here for a while and I have to say it was definitely the best hostel I stayed at while in Perth. Clean, tidy and lovely staff and people.

Staff were very helpful and knowledgeable about Perth, and if they didn't know the answer to a question they found out the answer. Location is brilliant, 5 minutes walk from city centre.

Stayed in a dorm and a double room while I was here. The double room is definitely worth the extra cost, simple and basic but has everything you need. Nothing wrong with the dorms but it was nice to have a bit of privacy.

Went to Margaret River after this and stayed in their hostel down there which was also very good.

All in all hard to fault!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DanDunDon
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights with my friend and we really liked this hostel! We had an en suite room, it was clean and tidy with comfortable beds and clean linen. For the first two days we only had one towel as there was a problem with the linen delivery but the staff were really helpful and apologetic - Dirk on reception even offered us his own towel! We declined but thought that was so nice of him to offer :o) I thought this place was really good value for money, there is a lovely little cafe next door and Northbridge is only a 5 min walk away with all the pubs, clubs and restaurants than you want. There was a courtyard outside where people gathered to drink, chat and play music. our room was right over this but there was a strict rule that it had to be cleared by 2230 hrs so we weren't kept up all night by noise. All in all I would say big thumbs up, I will def stay again when I'm in Perth.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MsBetty66
Thomas O, Manager at The Emperor's Crown Hostel, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Thank you for your review! Apologies again for the linen problem we encountered during your stay here - we try our best but sometimes things happen which are beyond our control.

Please come and stay with us again next time you are in Perth, it was a pleasure to have you here!
KL, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in october 2011.

Honestly, we never stayed at any backpackers hostel before. So we really don't know what to expect. But since cost of accomodation in Perth is indeed expensive (anywhere!).. We chosed the ensuite bedroom (not the dorm).

We arrived on early saturday morning. I almost asked the taxi driver to drive us back to the airport. Hehe. The scene that greet us was not pleasant. Drunken males and females walking nearby it's vicinity. Inside the sofa area, lots of beer cans and dirty and messy surrounding.

However, the receptionists were always helpful and friendly. And when we got into our ensite bedroom.. We're like i a world of our own. Definitely not Hilton, but it's clean and comfortable. So that's enough for us.

Location wise.. quite good.. Only 5 minutes walk to the junction whereby there's Taka Japanese Restaurant. Less than that to stop no. 7 of blue cat (juat behind the block).

Recommended for single or couples. But i woud not recommend any backpackers hostel to couples with young kids (better spend the extra money for more comfort of a hotel)

Room Tip: Defiitely choose the room with ensuite bathroom. However, i did went to the common bathroom while wa...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

Given some of the other hostels we had stayed in our trip I wasn't impressed with this place, especially given the price. The first impression wasn't that great from check in where the lady on reception wasn't the most accommodating or informative, for instance I wasn't made aware that we would need to hire crockery with a refundable deposit, or that we would need to source our own matches or lighter to use the hobs in the kitchen. We had a private double room which was ok but not as clean as I would hope. The communal kitchen wasn't the most spacious and it was a bit of hassle trying to cook anything during peak times. There were also a lot of rules and about various things, some seemed quite petty. All in all I wouldn't stay here or recommend it. The internet was also quite pricey especially given the fact that some hostels we stayed at managed to provide free internet.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

This hostel has great potential but is let down by guests and cleanliness.

I was in a 4 bed ensuite dorm. There was barely room for my bag thanks to the mess of one girl, whose clothes and hair appliances were scattered all over. I didn't even use the ensuite as it was such a tip, the shower was full of bottles of shampoos etc and the sink surrounded by various beauty products, some of which were spilt over the sink and floor. The manager really should be making sure rooms are relatively tidy for all people staying.

There were 4 massive lockers in the room, but despite only 2 beds being taken all the lockers were in use. I had to empty stuff out of one to use it.

The hostel felt like it needed a proper clean, all the door knobs were slimy and the door to my room looked particularly grubby, as already said the ensuite was pretty grim. It should also be noted that if drinks dispensers are under stairs where the tops can be seen it would make sense to wipe them off occasionally. Saying all that the shared bathroom facilities were fine.

I was relieved I was only staying 1 night and leaving early in the morning.

It might also be useful to have signs to the rooms as it's a bit of a maze and room 28 was next to room 10 rather than following on from 25, 26 and 27.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo