The Emperor's Crown Hostel
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsprivate bathroomsocial areaplace to staybudget accommodationtrain stationinternational airportminutes walkingwashing powderquiet streetcity centrerooms are cleanbackpackersnorthbridgeroommatesbunkfacilitiesfridge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 28, 2011

I live in room 11, a double room with private bath with my wife between 22-27 Mar 2011.
Something for my stay.
- Good price comparing to high living standard in Perth
- The room size is good and we get plenty space for our luggage and gift
- The room is in 2nd floor (no lift) , little trouble for people with heavy luggage
- I didn't find people making any noise at night
- The hostel is closed to stop 7 of BLUE CAT (5 minutes walk), you can reach Perth train station, London Court, Big Bell through BLUE CAT
- There's a COLES supermarket near by the hostel (10 minutes walk)
- Some staff are actually backpackers in the hostel, sometimes they cannot provide 100% accurate data to you, but they are generally helpful
- Taxi between International airport and the hostel is AUD36

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank spider999
Reviewed March 17, 2011

This hostel is over-rated and over-priced. It’s probably below the standard of most of the hostels around Perth; it charges inflated prices to mislead the customer into thinking they’re getting something more for their money, but you’re not!!

When we arrived the manageress and the owner were at reception. The owner tried to charge $36 per night (making this hostel the most expensive hostel in WA!!). When I explained to her that their website advertised the rooms at $33 full rate (there is no discounted rate by the way), she just explained that her “website needs to be updated mate” – not the customers problem and surely this is false advertising!! She also explained that it’s high season and they often increase their prices even further if the demand is there!! If you choose this hostel just beware of being overcharged when you get there – you should be paying the advertised price of $33.

The lonely planet has described this hostel as "a minimalist and surprisingly stylish taste of urban chic for midrange and budget travellers alike" – my deduction from this description is that either 1) the lonely planet put in a phone call to the owner for info on the hostel, or 2) they’ve mixed this hostel up with somewhere completely different – anyway my point is the description couldn’t be any different from the real thing. The kitchen has only a couple of fridges (one of which is reserved solely for the overpriced café downstairs, who also use the kitchen for cooking their microwave dishes). The kitchen is very very scarce on cutlery and finding a pot or pan with a handle and without being battered is a mission in itself. There is absolutely no discipline for kitchen cleanliness either – see the attached photo of the kitchen at 9am on a Saturday morning – dinner dishes from the previous night, overflowing bins – DISGUSTING. Not all the AC’s in the bedrooms work – they come on for 6 hours during the night if you find one that works. The internet is expensive and the dining area is very cramped. On our last night I heard the manager kicking people out at 4am, leaving questions over the security as to how they got into the hostel in the first place!! On a positive note the manageress is a very nice lady and is very helpful – but it seems her attributes may be wasted here with the authoritative owner.

My advice is to book somewhere different – I’m not a massive fan of the YHA’s in WA, but I have to say having stayed in both hostels, the YHA on Wellington St. is a much better option – 6 dollars per night cheaper – AC’s that actually work, more facilities around the hostel and it’s cleaned on a regular basis. It’s also marginally closer to the city. My advice to the owner of Emperor’s crown is to control your prices, buy some cutlery & utensils, and pay for a few cleaners!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gormo81
Reviewed March 7, 2011

The private rooms were adequate but pretty small. One night a live band (I think from elsewhere) played very loudly until 11pm which didn't help us trying to settle a toddler. One night a metal gate was being slammed until the early hours and also interrupted sleep. I haven’t stayed in a hostel for years but this one was far cleaner than others I’ve experienced. We booked a cot for the baby by e-mail before our stay. It wasn’t in the room upon arrival and I had to request it twice from reception. Not devastating, but annoying. We were also given completely inaccurate advice about the distance to Kings Park, which was also annoying bearing in mind the heat and the fact that we had a baby with us. The location is a little far from the centre but one of the free buses leaves from fairly nearby. I doubt I’d stay again but finding decent quality, decent value accommodation in Perth is very difficult.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank ankomonkey
Reviewed February 26, 2011

This hostel is truly over priced and rated, some of the air cons only work for a few hours every night, I changed rooms 4 times before I was given a room with a working A/C. Although the staff are friendly and always helpfull, the place has a feeling of being in prision, no entertainment at all, the place in is darkness most of the time, no noise and people seem scared to do anything, there are notices everywhere asking to conserve power and water, more of a money saver then anything else. I was corned by an old unwashed looking man who claimed to be one of the owners, he talked and talked for hours and wouldn't let me leave, my complaints about the A/C went in one ear and out the other. For the priceI paid for a standard room you can find better in Perth.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank onthemove062
Reviewed February 17, 2011

I was told about this hostel by a friend of mine and chose to stay here because although he said it was over priced, it was good. I was disappointed that the I had asked for a female dorm and ended up in a mixed dorm...also that very few of the lockers worked in my room. The air con just blew the hot air around and was on between 10pm and 4am - so loud but not even doing its job!! They also charged me twice on my card and only because I checked my account did I find that out...I wasn't as impressed as I had expected to be...It's ok, but not great for meeting people if you're alone....I would try another hostel next time....

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo