“GETTING BETTER GIVE IT A CHANCE good cheap basic clean”
Review of Alderney on Hay

Alderney on Hay
Ranked #56 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed December 8, 2009

I,ve stayed at this hotel aparts twice this year and i must admit its getting better the pools improved and refubd and the rooms are better too although i do agree 1 loo roll just aint enough but this time we brung our own, this apartments are ideal if you just need a base, if your looking for flash stay at the burswood or the holiday Inn city centre cos ive been to both and they are lovely esp the holiday inn hay st gr8 rooms there, but for a cheap family stay the aldereney is gr8 the staff are not ignorant if you ask for their help ive found they try to be helpful although we,v been in a lucky position of not requiring it.
we will def stay at the alderney again i like parking the car without paying for the privaledge.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
alderneyPerth, Front Office Manager at Alderney on Hay, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2010

To Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor in regards to our property. The property has gone through small changes at the end of 2009 with the front desk staff and is constantly looking at ways to improve service in Reception and Housekeeping.
We would once again like to thank you for your feedback and we will welcome you back at the property upon your next stay.

Reviewed November 23, 2009

cheap and nasty hotel, night manager was rude, and continually complained about noise which was not overly loud for 9pm. Watching us from other balconies and made us feel very uncomfortable. Considering our ages, 39, 42, 50 years old, not exactly rowdy teenagers. More like a prison camp than a holiday spot, left one night early.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank chopstarBunbury
alderneyPerth, Front Office Manager at Alderney on Hay, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2010

This guest was asked to leave the property due to unacceptable behaviour. This guest did not stay the last night of their stay due to the behaviour they displayed towards our staff.

Reviewed October 28, 2009

We are a family of five we booked a superior room which had apparently been refurbished!!! It was disgusting because we arrived after reception hours there was no one we could complain to. There was hair all through the bathroom, the walls were filthy and there were cigarette burns all through the carpet, I'm sure that the sheets had not been changed they were disgusting we had to wash them before we put them back on the bed!!!! In the morning after my husband spoke to reception we were moved to another room which was much smaller but at least it was clean!! The car parking area and lift are very scary with some very strange people lurking around there. We were woken by drunken people at 3 in the morning very very poor!!!!! DON T STAY HERE

Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank sunnie70
Reviewed May 12, 2009

I recently traveled to Perth with my partner and my two children, 8 and 3. We needed a two bedroom apartment close to the city and the Alderney on Hay fitted the requirements and budget. We requested and received a refuribished room.

I'll start with the positives. The room was fantastic and fitted our needs perfectly. Two bedrooms, great kitchen facilities and good sized living room were great. It was clean, and well stocked with cooking utensils. The pool was pretty good and enjoyed by the kids. The location was OK, a little bit further from the main CBD area than we would have liked but for the price that wasn't a huge issue.

Now the negatives. The staff were appaling. The word 'rude' doesn't even sum them up. We had problems and delays at check-in, during our stay, and check out. They would not do anything more than they had to and weren't at all happy to assist with any additional assistance we required. No broadband internet for an apartment that advertises itself as a business facility seemed odd as well.

If you require a two bedroom apartment close to the city then I'd reccomend the Alderney on Hay. Just don't expect a friendly face on arrival.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank manorlakes
Reviewed May 4, 2009

We were concerned after reading some of the reviews about the Alderney on Hay - they were completely unsubstantiated. The hotel was well organised and the staff helpful. The rooms were clean, extremely spacious and well equipped - perfect for those travelling with a young family. A short walk from bus stops into the centre of town, I would certainly stay here again and recommend it to anyone wanting a base from which to explore Perth.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank creamslice
Reviewed April 22, 2009

This is the absolute worst room I have ever stayed in. We booked it based on the description, photo's and rating (4 stars- yeah right). From the moment we entered the building we couldnt help notice the stained carpet, we got in the lift which was filthy and had drink spilt on the floor. Got into the room and it had not been cleaned. One bed was broken, the cots they charged us $10 each a night for were stained and had obviously never been cleaned. We were on the 7th floor and the balcony doors did not key lock so my young son could easy open then step on the air con motor then topple over. All the furnature was old, mismatched and stained.

I refused to stay another night and was charged a 2 day cancelation fee.

Please trust me and avoid this place at all cost and don't be fooled by the word "executive" in their title.

Still fuming!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank bennyboyoz
Reviewed March 15, 2009

Although I live just down the road, I stayed recently at these apartments with a group of friends after a Hen's night. As it was a last minute booking, this place was the only one which had rooms available at short notice.

After reading some shocking reviews on this site, I actually asked if I could come and have a look at a 'refurbished' apartment, before booking. The staff were very nice and allowed me to do so. At $220 a night, it's alot cheaper to anything of a comparable size. The hallways leading up to the apartment we're disgusting, stains etc, however the apartment was clean, nothing flash, but good value for money. Freshly painted, air-con in the main room and both bedrooms, and a large balcony.

On the day scheduled to check-in, I was unsure as to whether reception closed at 3pm or 5pm. Tried three times to call and only heard a recorded message stating all staff were on the phone. Left a message which was not returned. Not willing to risk missing the closing time (and not being able to get in at all as everyone goes home), I checked in before three. At this time just a young male was at reception, none of the polite staff I had dealt with in the week. He proceeded to tell me that as well as displaying a torn-up piece of A4 paper in the window of the vehicle we wished to park in their carpark, that unless he had the registration of the car on file, it would be a $250 fee. After trying unsuccesfully to call a friend to determine the vehicle rego, I asked if simply having the model, year and make of the car on file would suffice. I was cut off and told it would not, and we would be fined unless I was able to call the rego through before their closing time at five. After explaining I had tried to call three times and left a message earlier, I was met with a blank stare and a change of subject.

The following morning, we were told my housekeeping (who were in fact, quite friendly) that we had to vacuum the apartment we had stayed in ourselves and empty our own bins. By this they meant we had to actually take the bin-bags out of the bins and take the bags out to the road. We had left the apartment tidily, however as we didn't realise we actually had to clean it (because we had an extra $20.00 added on to the nightly fee for cleaning, because our stay was less than a week) we were slightly late checking out. The housekeeping lady called through to the male and explained this, however he chose to call back two minutes later once she had left, rudely asking why we were still in our room half an hour past the 10am check-out. Once we had finished the clean up and arriving in the loby, the same male, younger than all of us, spoke patronisingly about our lateness, then proceeded to charge us an $10.00 for our late checkout, and tell us luckily he wasn't charging us for an entire extra night, although the time was still well before noon.

Upon checking out we thought we had left the second key in the apartment itself and told him so. After leaving, I received a phone call from the same rude male, bluntly stating without even a hello, that the key was not in the apartment, and unless the key was not found and returned within the hour, that the locks would be changed on the room with the locksmiths fee being charged to my credit card. I had never intended to leave with the key, and a quick phone call located the key at the bottom of another girlfriends hand bag. I would have expected a fee for the lost key if we had not been able to locate it, but I feel if the standard response to a lost key is being charged for a locksmith, we should have been clearly notified at check-in. When I called to tell him the key had been located, I asked if he could arrange for the manager to call when he was next in so I could discuss this policy with him and was told "Whatever."

The apartment itself was clean, and good value for money, but I can honestly say that the attitude of this young man ruined the impression made, and neither myself or any of the other girls would stay at the establishment again because of it.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends