“Great place to stay in heart of Perth”
Review of Alderney on Hay

Alderney on Hay
Ranked #52 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Qld
“Great place to stay in heart of Perth”
Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

The 2 bedrm apartment suited us perfectly, located close to everything you could want-food, drinks, great bus and train service and shops galore. Just a pity that some of the female staff on front counter were a bit rude/abrupt, which made us want to avoid them.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thankyou for your feedback bringing our weaknesses to our attention. It has been very valuable and as a result of this we have arranged a staff training session for all our front desk staff.

Alderney On Hay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

My husband, daughter and I regrettably stayed here for 4 nights and it was disgusting.....

From the front desk staff, to the actually rooms. I spent the extra money and booked a deluxe apartment and they gave us a standard apartment, luckily for me they tried to swindle the wrong person. Our 'new' apartment smelt of urine, was dirty/dusty and generally just appeared to be way way below standard.

Do not stay here - I can highly recommend the Mantra Apartments up the road.

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank ShannanLee
Dear Guest
Firstly I would like to appologise for mix up in reservations where you booked a deluxe apartment and was alocated to a standard apartment. This was a human error and I am sure everyone makes a mistake and this was rectified immediately and the staff member who was responsible for this allocation was reprimanded. At this stage the reception also offered you the difference for the apartment and was moved to a deluxe apartment on the very next day.

On the 1st night of your stay you agreed to hand over the apartment keys in the morning so we can move you to the Deluxe Apartment as per your booking, but took it with you and returned at 8pm. Our staff were kind enough, not to sell the last apartment and hold it without selling so you will not be inconvenienced by asking to bring the key back immediately so we can room move you.

When you were given the new apartment key on the 2nd night the night staff member asked you is this ok and are you happy with the apartment. At this time you have mentioned that all good and its a much nicer apartment than previous. Theis staff member text me and advised the client is happy with the deluxe apartment. After my investigation of your stay the 2 female reception staff members brought to my attention that on check out you advised that the 2nd apartment was good.

At no stage the alledged comments were brought to our attention. With regards to Mantra yes they did have apartments available during your stay at $275 per night where the Alderney On Hay is between $155 - 185 per night. These two properties are totally different properties and you must compare apples to apples. Our policy is once we know a client is not happy due to a valid reason we refund their unused accommodation componant so they can find suitable accommodation. In this case you have never requested this either.

Once again I appologise for the mix up with the apartment allocation but the smell of urine, dusty, dirty is very untrue.

Travelers are raving about these Perth hotels

Western Australia
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel quite a few times and never had an issue. Not many places offer large family apartments at reasonable cost close to the city. Fully self contained even with a laundry, facilities have always been clean and well presented. Written info given makes the noise policy and parking guidelines very clear. We book on line and have always received emails with door codes etc. The location is good, and if you're not into walking, the free cat-bus service is a short walk away.

Room Tip: Book on line and request a quiet room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sky-Snow-Sun
Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for your feedback.

Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
Reviewed July 2, 2014

A group of us, 26 Malaysian checked in on Ist June 2014 and stayed for 5 days. As the group leader, I received compliments from my friends regarding the comfort and cleanliness. Your staff are exemplary in doing their job.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for your feedback and using the Alderney On Hay for your group accommodation. Hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

left my stuffs behond when I check out. Thanks to the honest house keeping ( chamber maids) they returned to the reception whom return to me when I went back to collect my luggage.
Friendly staff. enjoyed my stay

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for your feedback.

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed June 28, 2014

On a business trip to Perth, our secretary booked the Alderley as it appeared on the internet to be ok. At check in I specifically asked the person at the desk not to be near the lift well due to the noise. So what does he do .....put me right next to it. I then ask can I be moved the next day and have no response. The next night of my stay I have a heap of noise from other apartments and the noise of the lift well. This would have to be one of the noisiest places I have ever stayed. In addition it is next to a back packers hostel who party and make significant noise each night. Upon asking to be moved the manager is conveniently unavailable. I asked for the manager to call and this has not occurred.
The apartments are very run down and not as marketed in the advertisement. This is very poor accommodation and I would not recommend this whatsoever. I have stayed in many places over the country for work and leisure and this rates as the all time worst. Quite sad for Perth....

Room Tip: Definitely DO NOT RECCOMEND these apartments
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank CraigFissshhh
Roshan G, Manager at Alderney on Hay, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Craig
Thank you for your feedback. I have investigated the matter. The booking was made as run of the house rooms which is the CHEAPEST package we have and only run on few days this month to fill up a few gaps we have so we can still operate at 85% occupancy. Any property that runs these packages will place you on the lowest priced apartments / rooms and have the high price paying clients in good apartments / rooms. In this instance you were upgraded from a standard to a deluxe apartment. So this is a bonus for you as you are only PAYING $99 for a inner city apartment usually sold at in excess of $175. We are Definitely NOT the HILTON or Sheraton but we provide clean comfortable accommodation that is Great Value for money and has a lot of Decent Travellers using our service and appreciated.

As a property we listed a fully self contained 1 bedroom apartment at $99 where we get approx $85 to us. To maintain this room including cleaning, linen hire, tea/ coffee making facilities, electricity, water and toiletries including shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, shaving cream it costs the property in excess of $80.

At no stage your secretary has requested a quiet apartment away from the lift. Yes you arrived at the property asking for a apartment away from the lift area and we had no standard or deluxe apartments available. We had only this apartment to check in. Regular clients and guests paying higher rates are given the best apartments in the property and the guests on lowest rates are given the left over apartments which are still the same standard on the road side. You have also been upgraded to a deluxe apartment with granite top kitchen.

At no stage you have mentioned about the standard of accommodation during your stay to the night staff. This is an exaggeration as you didn’t get what you wanted. We maintain a high standard accommodation and this is why the property runs in excess of 85% occupancy. Two different Night Managers worked during these nights and they both spoke to you, One Manager advised you on the first night after consulting with me that no accommodation is available for that night as we are sold out on both standard and deluxe apartments. Second night you waited til night to ask for a room move was told that if you want to move you must pay a cleaning fee as we did not believe that you claim for noise is untrue. Both of these Managers have advised me that then went to the apartment below you and there is no lift or next door noise. I am quiet surprised as the next door property is not a high rise building and the noise to carry to floor 6 where you were accommodated in, when we cannot hear any noise from the top car park. Usually with noise issues we call the Police to deal with this. In this instance our night staff were unable to do so as there was no such NOISE as you claimed to have.

Unfortunately Sir we are not going to place you in a platinum 2 bedroom apartment, That was the only apartment for sale. This it’s usually sold at $235 per night and NOT at $99.

Also your continues harassment on night staff is not appreciated and we do not wish to see this happening to our staff in the future. So I suggest you find alternative accommodation in the future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I will never stay here again. I arrived an hour before check in time with my 70year old mother and my one month old son and a 6 year old daughter. We were prepared to wait for check in time and decided to have some food from the restaurant. When it was time to check in they told us to wait,which I thought was going to be a few minutes and did have a problem with that.when I thought they had forgotten about us and went to the people at reception, they just would not lift their heads to talk to me and looked busy(unacceptable).They finally gave us the keys just before 3pm with no proper explanation of the delay. On the checkout day they where knocking on my door at 9.58 to remind me
that I must check out.check in 26 November 2012 out 2 December 2012.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Mumtow
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feed back. Unfortunately we find it hard to investigate this matter further as to below issues.
1) The dates you mentioned as stayed 26 November 2012 out 2 December 2012. Our system has no record of any guests staying from the mentioned arrival date to departure date.

2) In another part of your review you mentioned as Stayed July 2013???? We need the exact dates so we can investigate the matter.

3) I assume this may be in July as Nov 26th where you mentioned as staying and having a meal in the property restaurant. The property restaurant is always closed on Saturday and Sundays.

It would be appreciated if its a recent stay if you can advice me the dates of your stay so I can investigate this matter.