“Not as bad as the reviews make you think”
Review of Alderney on Hay

Alderney on Hay
Ranked #54 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Alderney on Hay is a little out of the CBD (about 15 min walk) and provides economical accommodation for groups (up to six).
Many reviews were quite scathing of the apartments, but other than a bathroom in need of serious ventilation, there was nothing wrong with the apartment. The kitchen was properly equipped and working (although the oven did smell of burning when we turned it on) and the washing machine/dryer came in very useful.
The only downside to the stay was the possibility of hefty "hidden charges". Firstly the security deposit was $250 (not $150 as our booking details specified) - this is more than one night's accommodation!
There were also hefty fees for noise complaints ($250) and not removing all the rubbish from the room prior to exit. I would not recommend this hotel for a group looking to have a good time, as you may find the hotel is not as economical as you first thought.
The cafe downstairs is good, and two cafes across the road were open during the Easter long weekend (when most other things were closed).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 26, 2013

on staying at this hotel we were not greated at all it was a planned break to see my daughter who i had,nt seen for two years got this hotel off wot if sounded good we asked about my daughters hire car and didnt mind paying the $15 nightly for parking rudely told put it on the street until everyone checks in well we waited until midnight and noticed that the car park was half empty so phoned and was told no anyway the room was just okey the lounge was dirty and black marks awefull asked if i could have thew main bedroom window opened told we will have to ask someone that was never done left my mobile phonr behind called & was told yes its here they said unable to post because of battery so a week later travelled to get it got it home and they had removed my battery i thinking phone broken purchased another what rotten staff

Room Tip: be careful if you have children as rooms with single beds straight off balcony with no locks so lit...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank may S
Roshan G, Manager at Alderney on Hay, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear May,
Thank you for your inquiry. I have investigated your claims and found the following.
1) Australia Post where we send lost property will not accept any items with battery due to safety issues. The property tried to send your phone and was declined by Australia Post.

2) You were adviced when making a reservation and in all travel websites that only 1 car park per apartment will be allocated. The staff are unable to issue you with the second bay until they have another client check in that doesnt require a car bay. Then only the staff can issue you with a car park permit. Issuing the 2nd permit without confirming this will lead to having less car park bays at the end of the evening and inconveniencing another client who has been promised 1 car park bay. The car park is empty during the day as most of our clients are corporates and they do drive the vehicles to work.

3) Bedroom windows are closed for security reasons. You will find this as standard in most high rise buildings.

I sincereley appologise for any inconvenience above may have caused for you as we followed the procedures as set out so our valued clients are not inconvenienced and in one instance it was beyond our control due to safety issues set out by the third party we have to rely on.

Management
Alderney On Hay

Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I and another couple chose this hotel mainly on price and good location. As we arrived around midnight we didn't see the need to splash out on an expensive place and Perth accommodation isn't cheap and we needed an apartment rather than a hotel room. It was a 2 bedroom apartment with everything you needed but wasn't anything flash, substantial and ok is my view and we had paid the extra $10 for deluxe instead of standard so I imagine the 'standard' would have been very mediocre if our 'deluxe' was just ok. As the bedding configuration was a double and 2 singles we also had to pay $20 extra per night to have it made into a king size bed, why it was per night I will never understand as they only had to remake the bed the initial time as they don't offer daily housekeeping so I think a once of $20 fee would have been more appropriate. Was clean enough except for the toilet which had an odour so I dare say it is a rushed quick clean between guests. Good location with mini marts and restaurants close by and breakfast at 'infinity' one street over was awesome. Probably wouldn't stay there again unless it was a whole lot cheaper than everything else.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Only booked for a night as It was the cheapest place to where I needed to go the next day. Had stayed before a few years back so do remember what it was like. Was a bit annoyed when I got there late as booking agent had given me the wrong number for the car park boom gate. Luckily I'd noted the after hours phone number! Check in was easy. Apartment was roomy. Had everything i needed for the night and everything was clean enough and comfy.Really is ok for the price and a good place to base yourself for a few nights if staying in the city.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2013

It was our first accommodation when we arrive at Perth. There were for of us, so the size of the apartment was big enough for us. What really impressed me was the facilities they provided. The kitchen has everything, from oven to microwave to every single utensils. There is even a laundry room where you can wash your laundry and a dryer which is suitable for tourists. The beds are quite comfortable and the location is quite strategic. It is located on Hay Street, so you may take a stroll along Hay Street for food and some shopping.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Sadly I wish I had taken more notice of tripadvisor before I booked this accommodation. We arrived 11.00 at our accommodation due to the timing of our flights but we were hopeful we would be able to check in early. The manager there said check in was at 2.00pm but our room was ready and if we liked we could check in then but we would have to pay an extra $10.00 for the privilege. I was shocked as I have never experienced that in my life. As well we had to take our rubbish out ourselves and if we didn't we could forfeit some or all of the bond we had to pay which was $150.00 but has now gone up to $250.00. If you arrived when reception wasn't open which was usually 8.00pm at night and not before 9.00am in the morning you had to go down this dodgy carpark and key in a special code to get access. They have a key pad at the front door why you can't use that for access which would be far safer I do not understand. Also beware when you go out onto the balcony DO NOT close the wire door as it somehow locked and thankfully my family were there to let me back in. Also our queen size bed was actually 2 that's right 2 single beds pushed together. Half through our stay they were beginning to separate. I will admit though the air conditioning was good and it was good having the red cat stop number 5 a block away. Also there is a magnificent italian restaurant just where you catch the red cat and it truly is beautiful food.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Carmel M
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The apartment is on Hay Street, one of the main street of East Perth, easy to get away by bus. Overall the apartment it self, is just a pretty basic apartment, with quite nice warm swimming pool (in the winter time). The rate is quite reasonable, so I think it should be okay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family