“Not cheap enough!”

Ranked #67 of 81 Hotels in Perth
East Sussex
“Not cheap enough!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

The saying goes 'You get what you pay for'. In this case I still feel I was overcharged.
Arrived very late and very tired with no other option but to stay that night. We had booked to stay a further 3 nights but checked out by 10am. The one good thing was the lady on reception who processed our refund very efficiently.
Would never recommend this place, it needs a complete renovation.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ju-ju60
John B, General Manager at Mountway Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Your comments are appreciated. We know it's not everyones 'cup of tea', and if you want cheaper we recommend Jaiell House where you can pay half the price and share a dorm, kitchen and bathroom with randoms. We introduced the "no questions asked" refund policy as we understand people's plans can change. There is alway a steady flow of guests keeping Mountway fully booked throughout the year. The tariffs will increase by the time all the kitchens have been refurbished, at the moment six have been completed, and the remainder will be done over the next ten weeks. Kind regards JB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Port Stephens, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Booked online. Little relation between description and fact. Old, outdated, in desperate need of either renovation or demolition. Chipped stained paint throughout, broken tiles in bathroom, unsafe slippery shower over bath with no non slip mat supplied. Our room had 1 [uncomfortable] double bed and 2 singles [all with mismatched linen], 1 bedside table with light [yayy on my side of the bed] and 1 chair, all of which could have come from the local op shop. Self contained cooking facilities totally inadequate, mismatched crockery and a noisy fridge. Windows overlooking the adjacent freeway were filthy. Good value for budget accommodation but while cheap by current Perth over the top prices these are not budget prices. I have read previous reviews and have no doubt the manager will come back with semi belligerent justifications about new air conditioning and TV and ungrateful guests, not to mention high occupancy rates but may I point out that currently I believe you could advertise a cardboard box for rent in Perth and someone would say yes please due to lack of available accommodation. Stay here only if you can find nowhere else!

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sally F
John B, General Manager at Mountway Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you for your comments which are appreciated. We do encourage people to book online once they have firm plans, because it saves you the cost of a telephone call. Yes the building is in need of renovation so we are starting tomorrow with apartment 408. The kitchens will be totally rebuilt, although the Metters sinks will be staying as it's much better quality than you can buy these days. We do not provide in-bath mats for health resons but you can request one and we then issue a new one. Of course there is the bath mat provided. We do endeavour to match the bedspreads but its not always possible. Its true you can't bake cakes in the apartment kitchens at Mountway but we say the Hotplate, Kettle, Toaster, Electric Frypan, Rice cooker, and Microwave are adequate for most guests. We do encourage the use of the barbecue area, which most agree is the finest in Perth. It's true the cups and plates are a different style but they are all the one colour white. We will take a look at the fridge when someone brings it to our attention. Most properties have the windows on the outside professionally cleaned periodically and Mountway is no different. I notice you have mentioned our good value budget accommodation and I thank you for that, however I cannot agree with you on the cardboard box idea. I would recommend a backpackers where you can share a kitchen and bathroom with randoms for half the price. For some that is good value. Some prefer the 3-4 star hotel without kitchen at double the price. Thank you for sharing your views and I do appreciate Trip Advisor giving me the opportunity to respond to you.

Travelers are raving about these Perth hotels

Manchester, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

The apartment was cheap but the room was really dark and not very clean. The kitchen only had a one ring plug in hob fridge and a microwave. There were also BBQ facilities. On one of the days the shower spewed mud, which I think was due to roadworks but the staff didn't let us know or even mention it. We were unable to use the water for a few hours. The rooms are quite cold and the reverse cycle air con doesnt work very well/ cuts out/ is difficult to program. The whole place was quite tired and old. It's a good location for getting into town though. We wouldnt stay again. I think you can get better accomodation for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank AlexandKev
John B, General Manager at Mountway Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your review. Yes it's the most affordable accommodation in Perth. "Dark" well yes it is but there is electric lighting available and included in the tariff. You might not have noticed the electric kettle, toaster, rice cooker and electric fry pan (you can roast a small turkey in that). These items are in the tall cupboard in the kitchen. The micro wave is on top of the family size refrigerator in the kitchen and I agree that is a very useful item. Yes the barbecue area is very much appreciated by a lot of guests and there is a very nice photo on the Mountway Apartments FB page of people enjoying it. I am very surprised you had an issue with the shower. That is very strange as no one else had an issue with it or perhaps they are just not saying anything. The Mitsubishi state-of-the-art aircons have been working great. We have not had a single failure of an aircon since they were installed four years ago. Yes Mountway is old and tired, but guess what? Starting next week the very first kitchen will be totally refurbished. I know you will not be back but anyone who reads this and wants to book should ask for apartment number 408. By the end of April we should have about 6 refurbed and then 12 a month till we get to September. Then the budget price and location won’t be the only main attraction at the budget Mountway Holiday Apartments. I do thank you for your review and I agree with everything you say except the mud, I have not been able to fathom that unfortunate occurrence. Kind regards John Bergin GM
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Staying at the Mountway Holiday Apartments suited us perfectly.....a large group of 15 there for a Wedding. A big "thank-you" to the staff for sorting out a few booking problems....will know next time to book direct with Mountway!!! Perfect location on the edge of the city, and just a quick walk to Kings park. Whilst it's not "the Ritz", our rooms were clean and comfortable. Being next to a major Freeway might be unsettling for some, but i always travel with earplugs so it was no problem for me whatsoever. We also used their BBQ area one night which was very relaxing.

Room Tip: Book directly with the Mountway....ask for John.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank brucetrip
Noosa, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

My stay was for business & the location was excellent - only a few minutes walk across the bridge & I was in the city.

I stayed in a studio apartment & appreciated the larger room & the flexibility of being able to prepare my own meals - especially breakfast.

Staff were very friendly & helpful & the Mountway city map they gave me quickly became indispensable for getting to know Perth CBD.

Top all of that off with the great value rates (much less than the CBD hotels!) & this place is a real winner!

I would deefinitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ComunicationComando
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My second stay in Mountway,over here from the U.K. I find value for money and helpful service. The rooms are cleaned well every weeks, and there is no limit to extra towels etc. The staff in the office are friendly and helpful. I would certainly come here again if I was coming to Perth. Helen

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Helen S
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have stayed at Mountway apartments on and off when I am in Perth city on business.

The last time was during the heat wave and the air-conditioner was very much appreciated. This time they gave me a room facing the river. I have always found the staff helpful and friendly.

As I pay for my own accommodation I appreciate the low price. My business could pay for a 3 or 4 star hotel but I like my own kitchen. Don’t change a thing.

it’s all good just the way it is.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business