“Recommended reasonably priced comfortable”

Mountway Holiday Apartments
Ranked #55 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have stayed at Mountway apartments on and off when I am in Perth city on business.

The last time was during the heat wave and the air-conditioner was very much appreciated. This time they gave me a room facing the river. I have always found the staff helpful and friendly.

As I pay for my own accommodation I appreciate the low price. My business could pay for a 3 or 4 star hotel but I like my own kitchen. Don’t change a thing.

it’s all good just the way it is.

1  Thank alan c

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I first stayed at Mountway about 5 years ago and came back in January this year for a longer stay. This time I was with my Mum and 15 month old toddler. The apartment was clean, tidy and spacious, we had more than enough room for the pram, lots of toys and luggage and even a highchair. Not to mention the extremely active toddler. The beds were comfy, the faint noise of the highway wasn't an issue and we all slept very well. Brilliant views of the city and the lights are awesome at night.The air conditioning was excellent, we had several 35-40 degree days during our stay and it remained comfortable in the apartment. The kitchen had a new fridge and microwave and was very well equipped. The shower was great and had a bath tub which is fantastic for toddlers. The Digital TV (especially the channel ABC4kids) was very well utilised. The staff were amazing, friendly and extremely helpful, accommodating us with all sorts of things from a lost key late at night, to extra towels and sheets whenever we needed (messy work being a toddler), replacing light bulbs, providing us with a high chair and even toys and dealing with signed for parcels from England for us to name a few. The reception area is very welcoming and has a good supply of food and drinks and most importantly, MILK! I actually also booked a tour through reception the first time I stayed at Mountway. We used the washing machines and drying facilities lots. We always felt secure here and we have met lots of nice people from all over the world. The location is brilliant, Kings park is so close and it is lovely, and just over the bridge is the cbd and all the public transport that you need plus loads of restaurants and coffee places. We would definitely stay at Mountway again and have really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JJV2013
John B, General Manager at Mountway Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you for your very informative review. It is always pleaseing to have guests returning.
Kind regards John & Sue Bergin

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have been a regular visitor to Mountway Holiday Apartments over the last 15 years and wouldn't choose to stay anywhere else. The apartments contain all the facilities I need, kitchenette, digital TV, air con, comfy bed, bath or shower with plenty of hot water and the location is so central either to the city itself or King's Park is just a short walk away up picturesque Mount Street. Rooms get serviced weekly depending on your length of stay. The staff have a wealth of knowledge regarding any trips you might want to take, there is also a caretaker onsite during the night in case of any emergency. This provides a feeling of extra security. Washing machines and ironing facilities and wi-fi access are also standard on site.
Choose Mountway for friendly introduction to Perth.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Rachel482013
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The service from reception was excellent, they would always try to accomodate me as I was coming and going frequently. It is a great location, short walk up to Kings Park, really good exercise areas (Mount St, Jacobs Ladder) for those that like to keep fit on the road. Great views over the city and river, with what amounts to double glazing (small balcony enclosed in windows that could be opened) the freeway noise is certainly tolerable. I found the rooms to be clean, very good sheets and towels, enough utensils in the kitchen to prepare a good meal. Would recommend to those who want to be close to the city, dont want pay exorbitant rates of other hotels with inferior views and service, barely better room quality and without a kitchen.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank shaun c
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was prepared for anything after reading the reviews, but this was the only accomodation I could find on my dates with my own bathroom, at a reasonable price. I was slightly concerned at the door lock which had been badly repaired, as a single woman I need to feel safe. After the first night however, I found that it was quiet and I did feel safe there. The apartment was old, rusty bath and taps, chipped tiles etc, but it was clean. The sheets and towels were all clean. I took earplugs, so the road noise wasn't too bad. Overall it was well-equipped and the staff were helpful. The location was perfect, just away from the CBD, but within easy walking distance of everything. I would go back again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Wanderer38
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Perth is a tough place! I've traveled to Perth 6 times over the past 18 months and this time I wanted to "win" rather than leaving deflated over $15 burgers, $35/day breakfast buffets, $30/day internet and $150 dry-cleaning bills.

Part of my selection was necessity as I booked late and there was a conference, raising rates to $450+ for the hotels that I normally stay at for $250, and many sold-out places that I was considering.

The Mountway Holiday Apartments met this goal. When I read reviews though, I look for comparisons, so the below is my best attempt at a helpful review that doesn't just rag or brag on a hotel.

Airport -- I've stayed at Best Western and Great Eastern. Both were right along a busy highway. Rooms small, but clean. Convenient to be picked up, but cannot walk anywhere except gas station convenience store or McDonalds. Rates the same as Mountway. Room quality about the same, but smaller than Mountway. Internet at the hotels was terrible. If you're considering staying at these, seriously consider Mountway Apartments. You'll be no worse off quality wise and have more space, much more to see and access to anything you want.

Swan Valley -- Stayed at Novotel Swan Valley. Exceptional hotel, but nothing to walk to--no shops, no grocery, nothing to look at but golf course. Meals were $30-40 per person, internet access I believe was $20-30+ per day. Paid about 20% more than Mountway just for room.

CBD -- I've stayed at Ibis and Travelodge. If I was traveling with family, would stay at either of these. Wife doesn't like the motel style (door directly to outside) and both these have great locations. Travelodge is easy to overlook as its at the edge of CBD, but only 2 blocks from the ped mall. My room had open-air balcony and at the time Travelodge was half of Ibis cost.

What I like about Mountway Holiday Apartments:

1. Internet charges allow log-on/log-off so you can use the 24 hours over the course of a week. This alone saved me $250 (34/night x 8) compared to my last trip. And internet has been perfect signal unlike several others I've stayed at.

2. It's at the entrance to the ped bridge, less than 5 minutes to all my CBD client meetings, 15 minutes to grocery.

3. Although the cooking area is limited, at least it exists. I bought groceries the first day (15 min walk) and the fridge (not mini-bar sized) allowed me to cook breakfasts and a few dinners.

4. My room is clean. Dishes were clean, bathroom clean. Cleanest I've stayed at in this category (e.g. airport motel or apartment style)

5. Front desk has been awesome. Helped me arrange taxis, pinpointed my client meetings on a map.

6. Laundry. I'll pay $9 this trip for all my laundry. Last trip was $150 as hotel only offered the service, not coin-op.

What is odd or wish was different:

1. Not many outlets and those that exist are not convenient. As best I can tell, the only usable outlet in the main room is used by alarm clock and light -- so to charge my stuff, had to unplug those, or use the kitchen outlet.

2. There is no table in the kitchen.

3. No desk/working area in living area.

4. Regarding #2/3, the table is on the enclosed patio. Nice for breakfast, not so much for typing or working.

In conclusion I'm pleasantly surprised by Mountway. It isn't over-the-top amazing. If it's your first time to Perth and you are expecting what I did my first trip to Perth for a $200/night accommodation--I could see how some would be disappointed.

But compared to what I've stayed in previously, Mountway is a good option to consider. If comparing it to equal priced, but less convenient location OR to higher priced as convenient, tough to beat it.

I haven't exhausted all the options in Perth, but Mountway has at least given me a win this trip.

2  Thank Bob B
Reviewed February 18, 2013

A further return during the blistering heat in Perth, over 40 degrees for a week. My stays are generally long term this time for 5 weeks plus.
Mountway is reasonable in price, service is good but it is not a five star resort hotel. My room was clean, tidy and vermin free. Linen changed once a week at the same time as the room is serviced.
Office staffs are great in taking messages, accepting revised check out dates etc.
Reasonable stocks of food at fair prices are available in the reception area.
Accommodation is tight in Perth, and Mountway should be commended for not ramping up there rates like other hotels in town.
As a working base for an extended stay it more than meets my needs

1  Thank brocklehirst