“You get what you pay for” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Mountway Holiday Apartments
Ranked #68 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Broome, Australia
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was prepared for anything after reading the reviews, but this was the only accomodation I could find on my dates with my own bathroom, at a reasonable price. I was slightly concerned at the door lock which had been badly repaired, as a single woman I need to feel safe. After the first night however, I found that it was quiet and I did feel safe there. The apartment was old, rusty bath and taps, chipped tiles etc, but it was clean. The sheets and towels were all clean. I took earplugs, so the road noise wasn't too bad. Overall it was well-equipped and the staff were helpful. The location was perfect, just away from the CBD, but within easy walking distance of everything. I would go back again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Wanderer38

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Perth is a tough place! I've traveled to Perth 6 times over the past 18 months and this time I wanted to "win" rather than leaving deflated over $15 burgers, $35/day breakfast buffets, $30/day internet and $150 dry-cleaning bills.

Part of my selection was necessity as I booked late and there was a conference, raising rates to $450+ for the hotels that I normally stay at for $250, and many sold-out places that I was considering.

The Mountway Holiday Apartments met this goal. When I read reviews though, I look for comparisons, so the below is my best attempt at a helpful review that doesn't just rag or brag on a hotel.

Airport -- I've stayed at Best Western and Great Eastern. Both were right along a busy highway. Rooms small, but clean. Convenient to be picked up, but cannot walk anywhere except gas station convenience store or McDonalds. Rates the same as Mountway. Room quality about the same, but smaller than Mountway. Internet at the hotels was terrible. If you're considering staying at these, seriously consider Mountway Apartments. You'll be no worse off quality wise and have more space, much more to see and access to anything you want.

Swan Valley -- Stayed at Novotel Swan Valley. Exceptional hotel, but nothing to walk to--no shops, no grocery, nothing to look at but golf course. Meals were $30-40 per person, internet access I believe was $20-30+ per day. Paid about 20% more than Mountway just for room.

CBD -- I've stayed at Ibis and Travelodge. If I was traveling with family, would stay at either of these. Wife doesn't like the motel style (door directly to outside) and both these have great locations. Travelodge is easy to overlook as its at the edge of CBD, but only 2 blocks from the ped mall. My room had open-air balcony and at the time Travelodge was half of Ibis cost.

What I like about Mountway Holiday Apartments:

1. Internet charges allow log-on/log-off so you can use the 24 hours over the course of a week. This alone saved me $250 (34/night x 8) compared to my last trip. And internet has been perfect signal unlike several others I've stayed at.

2. It's at the entrance to the ped bridge, less than 5 minutes to all my CBD client meetings, 15 minutes to grocery.

3. Although the cooking area is limited, at least it exists. I bought groceries the first day (15 min walk) and the fridge (not mini-bar sized) allowed me to cook breakfasts and a few dinners.

4. My room is clean. Dishes were clean, bathroom clean. Cleanest I've stayed at in this category (e.g. airport motel or apartment style)

5. Front desk has been awesome. Helped me arrange taxis, pinpointed my client meetings on a map.

6. Laundry. I'll pay $9 this trip for all my laundry. Last trip was $150 as hotel only offered the service, not coin-op.

What is odd or wish was different:

1. Not many outlets and those that exist are not convenient. As best I can tell, the only usable outlet in the main room is used by alarm clock and light -- so to charge my stuff, had to unplug those, or use the kitchen outlet.

2. There is no table in the kitchen.

3. No desk/working area in living area.

4. Regarding #2/3, the table is on the enclosed patio. Nice for breakfast, not so much for typing or working.

In conclusion I'm pleasantly surprised by Mountway. It isn't over-the-top amazing. If it's your first time to Perth and you are expecting what I did my first trip to Perth for a $200/night accommodation--I could see how some would be disappointed.

But compared to what I've stayed in previously, Mountway is a good option to consider. If comparing it to equal priced, but less convenient location OR to higher priced as convenient, tough to beat it.

I haven't exhausted all the options in Perth, but Mountway has at least given me a win this trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Bob B
Jakarta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

A further return during the blistering heat in Perth, over 40 degrees for a week. My stays are generally long term this time for 5 weeks plus.
Mountway is reasonable in price, service is good but it is not a five star resort hotel. My room was clean, tidy and vermin free. Linen changed once a week at the same time as the room is serviced.
Office staffs are great in taking messages, accepting revised check out dates etc.
Reasonable stocks of food at fair prices are available in the reception area.
Accommodation is tight in Perth, and Mountway should be commended for not ramping up there rates like other hotels in town.
As a working base for an extended stay it more than meets my needs

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank brocklehirst
Devon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

You get what you pay for and for a central location this was cheap, but we suspect that prices will vary depending on time of year and demand. It IS a stones throw from the CBD but sat right on the Freeway - as several other more expensive apartment blocks are and one chic boutique hotel. So there is a noise problem, but we found that the french window off the balcony reduced this to a hum at night and we, as country bumpkins, slept well; townies should have no problem.
The apartment was tired and a bit grubby, especially the carpet; but the A/C and fan were efficient and quiet and the bed comfortable with a good mattress. The kitchen was small but adequate and had a fridge/freezer, microwave, efficient large electric frying pan and a small electric ring, so self catering no problem. The shower room had a small bath under the shower - now that was a luxury. The staff were friendly and obliging.
As I've said in prior reviews, if you want 4 and 5 star luxury book into hotels of that calibre and pay the price. Don't grumble if you find things below that standard and your getting accommodation at a low price. These apartments are perfectly adequate within their limitations for a few nights in Perth. During our travels in Oz we've experienced worse, and whilst we've had some pleasant surprises by and large accommodation tends to be of lower standard than similar in N. Zealand - just accept it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank phinaeus
Cleaver294212, General Manager at Mountway Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thank you for your balanced review, it's appreciated.
J
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Pretty good place and location. Close proximity to King's Park and Perth CBD. Not too many restaurants / bars close-by, but an array of choices if you walk for about 10 minutes towards central Perth. Staff was very helpful and accommodating and so was the manager, in my case. I reported a problem with the aircon and it was rectified the very next day ! Stayed here for a month from mid-January to mid-February. Pretty good rooms - clean, spacious and self-contained (all necessary amenities). I was here on a business trip - so was out the whole day and only back for a nice shower and a good nights sleep. Honestly, this was my first time in Perth, so I don't have other hotels to compare too (amenities, price, etc.), but looking at some other hotels while walking-by and for the price that I paid here ($ 130.00 per night), I reckon that there is definitely value for what you are paying. ------- CLYDE.

Room Tip: I stayed in the last room on the 5th level - it was pretty quiet and private, considering the fact t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Clyde R
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Excellent location close to the Busport and trains. CBD is over the bridge. Staff are very helpful. Kitchen is fully equipped with plates, etc. Would recommend to all budget conscious travellers.

Advice to others: If you don't pay for the Ritz, don't expect the Ritz!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Asim H
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Don't believe the website photos. The apartments are shabby, shabby, shabby. It is located right next to the freeway so noisy, noisy, noisy and the resident manager is a grumpy old man. Recommend City Waters on the Terrace instead. Same price range and layout but much nicer, reburbished and cleaner.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Edna W
Cleaver294212, General Manager at Mountway Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Regarding your opinion. 99% of guests say wonderful wonderful wonderful, but that doesn't make it so any more than you three shabbies. Would someone please explain to me why Mountway has an annual occupancy of just under 90%. Regarding location location location, you can't beat it. We say all the photo's on our website are a true representation of the apartments. They all have the same standard kitchen, bathroom, bedroom. The bedspreads are different colours and the bedding is different double/triple/family etc. We have 3 people attending to after-hours arrivals and they are all under 30. Another reviewer that isn't able to be factual. John Bergin

Travelers are raving about these Perth hotels