“A bit of a disappointment”
Review of Jamie's Italian

Jamie's Italian
Ranked #100 of 1,424 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2013

After reading the glowing reviews from media food critics, and seeing the long queues outside, I was expecting something special. Not so! We had pre-booked so did not have to queue. Once inside we were given menus and shortly after a basket of bread. That was very good, complimentary but not really enough for a party of five adults. The meals got mixed reactions. My son had the wild rabbit with pasta, quite tasty but very little rabbit, he counted five small pieces. Son-in-law had the scallopini with prosciutto. No prosciutto visible on the plate. The waiter said it was pounded into the veal during preparation. That was hard to believe as the veal was extremely thin and had no hint of prosciutto in the taste. I had the special lasagne which was probably the most substantial of all our choices. This was actually quite nice apart from the fact that too much pumpkin masked the taste of the other ingredients. My wife and daughter shared a large serve of calamari with three side salads, all quite nice, and polenta chips which were not really to their taste so would not have again. For what we got it was not a cheap meal and for the money we expected better. The small glasses of wine at $10 each were good but expensive for the amount in the glass. I feel that a lot of people go there to try it out after hearing all the hype. I like Jamie's TV shows and books but I will not be going back to his restaurant in the foreseeable future

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Service was slow, but our waitress was very pleasant.
I ordered the NZ snapper which came withe a tomato and a handful of rocket. There was some seasoning but nothing over powering and not sure what. The fish was cooked well, but there was no wow factor. My husband had the burger which was good, not to big, he enjoyed it, but you would expect it to be good at $20.00. Overall there was no wow factor in our meals. I am not sure what all the hype is about, maybe it's all in the pasta?

1  Thank Karibabird
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Taking a tip from my wife we arrived early at 1110 on a Monday. Already the queue was 40 people long. Moving inside the restaurant by 1120 so not too long to wait. Shown to our table service was swift but not hurried. Our order for Prawn Linguini and Game meat balls was on the table after a 10 minute wait which considering the number of patrons ordering was pretty swift. The water jug was promptly refilled and we enjoyed the complimentary Italian breads while waiting. I scored my Linguini pasta as a 9 out of 10 which is pretty good score from me. My wife scored her game meat balls on polenta sauce as an 8. I wanted to eat slowly to enjoy the ambiance and savour the food but it was so tasty it went in a flash. Not sure about the chandelier hanging in the dining room though Jamie. It should be at the Empire ballroom! The manager was promptly on the case when we reported my wife's glass of Lime and bitters was delivered in a badly cracked glass. His comment the Bar manger would be paying for our drink. No fuss the drink was replaced and the cost of the drink was deleted from our total bill. Thanks for that. To prolong our stay we ordered sweets. I enjoyed the Lemon Merengue tart with Pistachio brittle another 9 out of 10 from me. It would have been 10 out of 10 if the merengue was crunchy on the out side and soft in the middle like in the UK. Instead It was like a big serve of soft serve cream. Maybe that's the way they like it. Not sure if I would take my young children as to them food is food and there is no garlic bread which they enjoy and no sign of Jamie. But for celebrating with adult friends or family it would certainly fit the bill. Bookings can be taken but you need to book well in advance.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I lunched here with a group of friends and we all had a terrific time and found the food fantastic.

We were in a party of 6 so started off up at the bar waiting for a booth to become available. The wait wasn't long and we had the opportunity to ask about the various wines while we were waiting.

Once settled in the booth, we were assisted by our waiter...also called Jamie. After delivering a range of bread tasters and organising wine and water, he took our entrée orders. For our entrée, we selected a range of the smaller plates and shared and each dish was fantastic. While the serves weren't huge, they were enough for all of us to enjoy a taste.

We ordered our mains from here and again, every one of our party of 6 was delighted with their main. I really enjoyed the risotto with the truffle sauce. It was an entrée size and enough given we wanted to order desert.

The deserts were amazing in every case. I found the meringue topping to be lovely and light and the pastry was thankfully lovely and thin.

While none of us were familiar with the various wines, the staff were helpful and we enjoyed the wines selected. They also gave us a small taste to ensure we were going to like the wine before ordering a bottle.

Prices were very reasonable across the board and we had a thoroughly enjoyable lunch.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Pros: Great wines, fresh, well-prepared food, good atmosphere, good prices, interesting decor, funky vibe, knowledgeable and friendly staff, good lounge area while waiting for table.
Cons: None. Or maybe my artichoke risotto was a little bit salty (minor quibble - it was delicious, and went well with some great Soave by the glass)
Apparently it is very popular - expect to queue for a table - my advice is get there early, get on the waitlist, and have a glass or two of Italian plonk and lounge around ... we even got some complimentary appetisers while waiting ...
Would go again !