“Too many nicer places than this over-priced, under-serviced property”

Adina Apartment Hotel Perth
Ranked #13 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Melbourne, Australia
“Too many nicer places than this over-priced, under-serviced property”
Reviewed December 15, 2010

This is specific (verbatim) feedback I gave to managment. Still awaiting a reply...

"Attention Hotel/Property Manager,
I am currently staying at your property on business travel. I am working long days and therefore, based on your company website, brochure and menu in-room (which also outlines the breakfast menu) I am disgusted.

That said, when I rang reception, a very friendly and hospitable N*** answered and heard my feedback - at least she's an asset.

At $300 + per night, there is an certain expectation of what you sell . Yes, it's not a five star restaurant, however I have/still do stay at hotels/serviced apartments around Australia (even 3 star in Rockhampton) and I've never come across a more expensive menu that doesn't deserve $10. I'm more than happy to spend up based on what advertised, but the attitude of the people at 'Metro' is appalling.

When I enquired if the Muesli comes with milk (ie. just want basic cereal/milk), a blank "No" response from a lad that needs to 'smile' and be inviting. Especially at $19, plus $26 if you want a burnt omelete.

Note, having stayed at several other Perth hotels/serviced apartments, I am having my breakfast there tomorrow - firstly, it's no cheaper, but it comes with service, a newspaper and a 'choice' from a buffet - even at $35.

Rather than wipe your hands and say 'Metro' are a separate business, maybe take ownership (as it comes under the Medina brand) and improve it.

I will NEVER stay here again based on my experience. Yes, your rooms are decent, but that doesn't cut it when there are so many other alternatives around (nicer and cheaper), but I stayed here because I thought Medina had a decent reputation. Not after this.

I will post the abovementioned comments on 'trip advisor' so other people aren't sold a lemon and are fully aware of the product (or lack of) they're purchasing.

Note, I'm in hospitality industry (management at an airline), and if I knew this/a was the sub-standard product at my company, we'd go out of business.

If I wanted vending machine service, I'd purchase a vending machine product. At least you know what you're getting - at a price. No false expectations, glossy brochures.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank andy_white777
MGPC33, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, responded to this review, December 16, 2010
Thankyou for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Medina Grand Perth.

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. In relation to the points you have raised I have addressed your concerns with the seperate Restaurant - Metro Bar and Bistro to improve our overall guest experience.

I would like to thank you providing this feedback and if you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Kind Regards
Ross Anderson
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed November 28, 2010

The Medina Grand was an excellent hotel to stay in while I was in Perth on business. I found the location handy and that the room was more like an apartment than a hotel (and very clean). I don't usually write reviews but felt that this hotel offers far more than others I have stayed in (and there have been many) as the services were brilliant. The staff were helpful and friendly and seemed to go the extra mile. I would definitely reccommend to anyone in Perth on business for a few days.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Australia
Reviewed November 26, 2010

Very nice self serviced apartments. Had the feel and amenities of a 4 star hotel, with the convenience of staying in an apartment. Very convenient if you have business at the convention centre. Would probably not stay there as a tourist. Though would highly recommend for the business traveller.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 20, 2010

I drove up 60km for a work Christmas function at the Convention Centre. When I got there there was no parking available, as they had been giving out multiple parking passes to guests and had now run out. They showed no interest in trying to help me out, telling me that it wasn't their problem. I cancelled the booking in disgust.

Thanks to the staff at the Medina for completely ruining a once in a year event. If they try charging me for it I'll be disputing the transaction.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank MickBailey
Miranda
Reviewed November 7, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at the Medina. The staff there are fantastic and the hotel was all we hoped it would be.

We would definitely recommend it to other travellers.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 2, 2010

It was my first time in Perth and I could not have been more pleased with the location of Medina Grand Hotel. I was in the centre of the city while still having a quiet & relaxed outlook over the conference centre & King's Park. I loved the proximity to the waterfront & convenience of the bus depot nearby.
The accommodation was of an extremely high level, clean, comfortablewith all amenities & services being of a high standard.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Americus, Georgia
Reviewed October 4, 2010

First off, $400 a night should get you a place without a rusted tea kettle, room service that arrives in non-biodegradable styrofoam containers, or beds with mattresses that have seen better days. I had to ask for milk for our tea, and they complained about it. Although we arrived at 4:45, there was only one person working the reception, and he was on the phone answering questions for 9 minutes while a queue formed. No one came to assist. The bell person couldn't manage to get all of our bags, so I had to get them myself. Parking is WAY too expenive ($27.50 a day) The previous reviews about it being too pricey, and about the TVs are true, as well as the lack of television channels. Our travel agent booked us here, but I think she must get quite the kickback for what we received. Also, nickle and dimed for things as innocuous as the laundry soap and water. So tired of this sort of bologne in an expensive hotel. The entrance is complicated to locate (we drove around the block 4 times before we realized if, when we telephoned for directions the day previous, the manager has simpy told us to drive into the convention centre, we would have found it more quickly. The rooms are nice, but seem a worn. I think we all could do better than here.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends