“Okay for business and convention delegates.”

Adina Apartment Hotel Perth
Ranked #19 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Somewhat underwhelming summarised a recent stay at the Medina Grand.
An immediate reaction after a late flight was to find the restaurant shut at 9pm with no room and only some overpriced breakfast cereal to eat.
A Hotel with aspirations to cater for business travellers and to be 4.5 star needs longer room service - after all many flights to Perth arrive late.
Internet is $20 per day - what can you say.
Televisions are CRT with a limited range of channels - I get more free to air channels at home. What is it with Hotels that dont offer the full range of Free to Air stations - Its Free!!!
Last gripe is finding the Hotel location - not easy as it is tucked in next the the Convention Centre and walking up the hill to St Georges Terrace takes a bit of figuring out.

On the positve side - the staff are courteous and rooms clean and modern. The bed and bathroom is all fine and match the rating.The restaurant is very good (but pricy). Room service is prompt and courteous.
Overall some annoyances create a unfavourable impression particularly with a fairly high tariff and high add on costs.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Theodore1956
MedinaGrandPerth, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2011

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Medina Grand Perth.

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your comments. Your feedback is important to us, and I have addressed your concerns with all our department heads, to improve our overall guest experience.

In regards to your response about the restaurant closure time, we are working closely with them and will pass your feedback on.

Also, Medina Grand Perth will shortly be installing LCD TV’s in all guest rooms with a wider range of free to air channels to replace the old CRT TV’s in the rooms.

If you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Hotel.

Jay Bower
Assistant Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,524)

Reviewed July 21, 2011

I stayed here for one night in July 2011 for work.

It is located near Perth city and Swan River, opposite the Perth Convention Centre.

The entrance is difficult to locate if you’re driving and I ended up doing a few laps around the area before I could find it.

The check in and check out staff were fairly helpful, and I’m told the reception desk is open 24 hours a day which is useful if you’re arriving late/leaving early. They also stored my bags for free after I checked out.

The worst thing about this hotel was the bed. It was rock hard and rather than one mattress, it was two single mattresses pushed together and you could feel the gap between them. The pillows and blankets (not to mention the carpet) were very thin. My colleagues had the same problem so it wasn’t just my bed that was like this. I wouldn’t recommend staying here, purely because I woke up with a sore neck and back due to the poor bed.

They also need to upgrade their TVs and sound system. The TV was a small CRT with only a couple of pay TV channels, including Fox Sports and Sky News. There weren’t really any entertainment channels and you had to pay a hefty fee for pay-per-view movies. The sound system was an old CD player and should be swapped for a more modern version with an iPod dock.

On the plus side, the bathroom is relatively large.

This hotel is probably okay if you want to be conveniently close to the convention centre. I think they rest on their laurels in terms of location here and haven’t bothered to update the amenities because they can rely on business travellers. However if you’re visiting Perth for leisure, I’m sure there are plenty of other, better options.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank lorexstevex

Dear Lorexstevex,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Medina Grand Perth.

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your comments. Your feedback is important to us, and I have addressed your concerns regarding our bedding with senior management, so we can improve our overall guest experience.

Jay Bower
Assistant Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 16, 2011

Very impressed with our stay at the Medina Grand Perth. Stayed in a One bedroom exec apartment and was very spacious - huge bathroom and seperate living room to bedroom. Great they had a washing machine & dryer in the bathroom as we needed to use this. Bed was very comfy. Only downfall was that the blanket was very thin so we did get quite cold so had to turn the heater up more on the second night. Also some of the channels (Discovery) was only in lounge not bedroom. Also remind housekeepers to take out rubbish as wasnt removed after 1st night. But not a biggy. Reception helpful in booking taxis and offering late night Pizza number. Great location for us as we needed to use train station - 2 minute walk and 5 min walk to town. Althought in city not too much traffic noise was very quiet and balcony was good. Will def recommend.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tasja_nz
MedinaGrandPerth, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2011

Dear Tasja_nz,

Thank you very much for providing feedback about your recent stay at Medina Grand Perth.

We have taken your feedback on board and addressed the concerns with housekeeping about the rubbish removal and with the maintenance department with regards to accessing Discovery channel in both lounge and bedroom.

Once again, we appreciate the time you have taken to provide your valuable comments and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 12, 2011

Just a walk from CBD and Northbridge, the location would be great for business travellers to Perth. However, ancient CRT TV's and dated decor do not help to justify the high prices. Metro bar / restaurant is passable for breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank GunBurg
MedinaGrandPerth, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2011

Dear Gunberg,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us.

With regards to CRT TV's, we are in process of replacing them with new Digital LCD TV's in all guest rooms within next couple of months. This along with couple other changes should give a better feel to the overall decor.

Thank you again and we appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your comments.

Reviewed May 6, 2011

Stayed in a 1 brm apartment, complete with well furnished kitchen and large bathroom. Bedroom - small room with two hard, thin singles strapped together and ridge down the middle. Pillows hopeless, sleep quality poor.
Bathroom - large, including washer & dryer. This was nice, until I opened up the dryer to find 4 pairs of the prior guest's underpants - sorry - I threw your g strings in the bin.... eewh! Shower over bath, with terrible shower head which sprayed water out all over the floor. When hot water was run, initially it came out red/rust coloured. Ran clear after about 30 seconds, however pretty unsavoury. Black tiles on the bathroom floor felt consistently gritty, and on the last day I wiped the floor over with the facecloth to discover that the floor was actually filthy.
Kitchen was the best part, well equipped and very good facilities if you are able to self cater. The strange smell from the under sink cupboard was however, very disconcerting - I'm not sure what died in there...
Lounge consisted of a table, chairs and couch. TVs were old CRT models - don't worry - they didn't work anyway with very poor and erratic reception.
Did arrive late on first night, and hoped to have a sleep in the following morning. Unfortunately, the do not disturb card on my door didn't seem to matter to the maids cleaning the rooms up and down the adjacent hallway - and I do think your whistling could do with even more practice but do keep trying.
Disgracefully overpriced minibar ($5 for a chocolate bar), but perhaps not the only hotel to do this.
Hotel restaurant has been well reviewed by others here - trust me and the other people on this site - don't bother and walk for 5 mins up to the Globe or the George for a vastly superior meal for an equivalent price.
Reception area has a tired old lounge suit which needs to be put out on the kerb for collection. Sadly, choosing to stand outside the front doors isn't a pleasant experience either, as one enjoys the overwhelming stale ash smell coming from the butts in the overflowing bin right outside the door.
Reception staff try hard, and I appreciated their daily apologies when I enquired (again) as to why I didn't get the newspaper that I ordered. And they were very pleasant when I also explained to them on checkout that they had charged me every single day for the papers that didn't turn up....

There are a number of other options in Perth - don't stay here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Rowie1
RADA69, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2011

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Medina Grand Perth.

All the points mentioned in your feedback have been duely noted and we have addressed your concerns with the housekeeping and maintenance department. Also, we have discussed the feedback with restaurant owners and shall make sure that such future occurences do not prevail.

Thank you again and appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your comments.

Reviewed April 30, 2011

In all my years traveling Australia for work the only place that has been worse than this was a 2 star in Lake Maraboon which didn't have any windows. We've been overcharged constantly, the staff repeatedly walk in through a do not disturb sign to restock "something" at strangely "convenient" times of my G/F getting changed, at 10:30pm. The "radiation king" televisions, while adding a 1970's vibe to our 1990's decorated apartment, are incapable of actually keeping a picture, even after adjusting and readjusting the vertical hold & BEAM settings. The water pressure in the shower was top notch, i think this is due to water not being allowed to come out of the kitchen tap. ever. Safety seems to be a priority at this hotel, even our own room keys would not work either in the elevator or our room lock for the entire 3 weeks we were here. This was reinforced by the broken lock on our balcony door that was suspiciously surrounded by fingerprint dust. The fire alarm went off 19 times while we were here. During these evacuations we spent our time at the heated pool, at which the water was a balmy 8* C which numbed our senses enough to soak up the atmosphere of the 4 lane hwy out the front. I saw Bear Grylls filming a "how to survive falling through ice" segment in the spa. The "food" from the metro bar restaurant was unique, the strawberry jam club sandwich was amazing, amazingly cold and stale.

By the third day i was certain this was an elaborate prank being played by my corporate travel agent. I wish it was, it would've been a brilliantly constructed joke. Getting an entire hotel to do everything the absolute opposite of what you'd expect from a hotel would've made me feel special. But alas, it wasn't. That made me feel sad and angry.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Harleydanger
MGPC33, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2011

Thankyou for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Medina Grand Perth.

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. In relation to the points you have raised I have addressed your concerns with the maintenance and housekeeping departments to improve our overall guest experience.

I've also addressed your issues with the onsite restaurant (Metro Bar and Bistro) owners and management in aid of ensuring future occurences don't prevail and that our guest experience is enhanced.

I would like to thank you providing this feedback and if you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Kind Regards
Ross Anderson
Hotel Manager

Reviewed March 29, 2011

Couldnt get there on gps as roads have changed. Just becuase they are opposite convention centre they think they are premium! No room service after 10pm. Bar staff are up them selves. rooms are budget, lights are blown, pass cards dont work in carpark. Anything you want is 6 star price and 2 star service.
Never stay here again and never stay in a Medina property.
How dare they say this hotel is 4 and a half stars
They have NO IDEA

Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Sellett_11
MGPC33, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2011

Dear Sellett_11,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Medina Grand Perth.

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. In relation to the points you have raised I have addressed your concerns with the Maintenance department to improve our overall guest experience.

Unfortunately the restaurant onsite is a seperate entity to the hotel, but I'll be passing on and addressing the issues raised by you with their management in aid of enhancing our guest experience here at the hotel.

I would like to thank you for providing this feedback and if you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Kind Regards