“Sublime roast duck red curry”
Review of Galangal

Galangal
Ranked #18 of 1,587 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Classic style restaurant in very accessible location north of city centre serving Traditional Thai recipes in Classy Downtown Bangkok format . Food is prepared with daily fresh ingredients in open kitchen which adds to the busy atmosphere of this unique restaurant. Restaurant is fully licensed with a well stocked bar and wine room. All Asian beers are served with local and international wines.South West Australian wines by Larry Cherubino are featured to pair with the menu. BYO is allowed on Mon,Tues ,Thurs and Sun nights only .
Reviewed February 14, 2016

My favourite dish of roast duck red curry was lip-smackingly wonderful. Four of us ordered this - no sharing - we all wanted this to our greedy selves. Honestly, this dish is too good to share! No-one does a version of this that compares to Galangal. From the crispy skin to the tender flesh of the duck, to the rich red curry sauce and the sweet punctuation of lychees, this dish should win an award for “most satisfying on every level”. How can I ever order anything else??

We shared entrees of Thai fish cakes, king prawns with fresh herbs, and another (which I forgot to make a note of) but featured minced chicken (I think) with nam jim on sweet slivers of pineapple. Oh my. Everything was bursting with flavour and showcased the quintessential Thai combination of fresh herbs with chillies.

One of our group ordered the stir fry king prawns with snake beans, chilli and Thai basil, and loved the fresh, spicy flavours of her dish too.

Galangal is for me, the best Thai food in Perth. The service is top notch, the new venue beautiful, and the all-round experience brilliant. I love the open kitchen, and the fact that you can still BYO wine, although the new premises is also fully licensed. I just have to accept that if I order the roast duck red curry every time I go, I will never get to experience the other amazing dishes on the menu! Not such a terrible dilemma, all things considered :)

Reviewed February 8, 2016 via mobile

Very flavoursm food. Lots of choice, beautiful curries, awesome phad thai..lots to choose from..Def recommended for a nice dinner or a catch up with friends. You won't be disappointed..

Reviewed January 31, 2016

This is not a cheap and cheerful Thai restaurant, its rather up-market in its décor and is rather large inside. Service was quite attentive with a few waiters of varying capability for our group. The food was good quality and tasty but not hot; I guess to cater for the "average" palate. If you really appreciate Thai cuisine then it needs to be spiced up a bit.
B.Y.O. wine not a problem

Reviewed January 24, 2016

What a find. We will need to return at least a couple of times to try all the dishes that our fellow diners were eating. If you book a table before 8pm you are only given a 90 minute time slot. For a Thai restaurant that is long enough and we certainly did not feel rushed.There are plenty of staff. You can BYO wine for a $6 corkage which we love.

Reviewed January 23, 2016

A lovely restaurant, very nicely decorated but really, really noisy. The staff were very slow to attend to us when we were seated and didn't open our wine, just gave us the ice bucket. However, once we finally ordered everything was fine and forgiven !!! Very nice food indeed and excellent presentation with all dishes. The soft shell crab was a highlight. We shared 4 dishes all of which were faultless and so full of flavour, especially the duck curry and pad Thai, which are often so bland in other Thai restaurants. The place was packed even on a Tuesday night. Will be back, soon I hope !!