“Wonderful food”

Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My partner and I were spending the evening in perth and used trip advisor to decide on somewhere different to eat. We chose red opium based on the fact it was Asian tapas. We arrived to a beautiful restaurant and greeted with great service. The food was unbelievable. We ordered 6 dishes which were served one at a time which was perfect. The food was stunning and at such low prices we could not believe how lucky we were. Unlike some restaurants where you are rushed in and out we spent a lovely night enjoying amazing food in a fabulous environment.
We would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone and will definitely be eating here again. I cannot praise this place highly enough.

2  Thank Jencoops
There are newer reviews for Red Opium

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Having been introduced to Red Opium via a work function a few weeks ago, and being mightily impressed with the quality of the food. I was keen to get back with some "foody" friends to re-experience this magic little gem.

We were delighted and amazed at the dishes. Each one is a stand alone experience, From initial the oyster shooters ( which set a amazingly high bar, and are an absolute must! - the chilli ,lime and lemongrass are perfect partners and have to be savored ), right the way through to the Masaman Beef Curry and Duck, things just got better and better.

The flavors and presentations are second to none, there is a definite feeling of care and pride attached to these dishes.

The best part was watching the expressions on the faces of my friends, (as fairly experienced "foodies" who would rather stay home and cook, than be disappointed) they are not easily impressed, but watching them smile enjoy and savor each bite.... well I'm happy to bask in the reflected glory. :-)

Being BYO we had some magnificent wines to compliment the dishes, and we were one of the last tables to leave. Which gave Jak and Penny a chance to come and introduce themselves and say hello, what a lovely amazing couple, and a fantastic way to top off the evening by getting a personalised story about the dishes and the restaurant.

I would seriously rate this place highly. 2 very different evenings ( work and Friends) and each time a fantastic experience.

2  Thank Fabco13
Reviewed February 20, 2014

A small entrance into a concreted floored area is deceiving! It does bring to mind the opium dens as seen on tv. The food is nothing short of amazing as is the service. The best Mussaman beef I have ever had and the F Duck had to be tasted to be believed. The service was attentive but not intrusive. A wonderful touch was the restaurant owner taking the time to ask us what we thought of our meal. Take my advice and try - you won't be disappointed!

3  Thank Gronky
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My boyfriend booked Red Opium for Valentines Day and I was not left disappointed! The restaurant is somewhat hidden giving it an almost secretive vibe and the décor is very Thai and simplistic. The food was absolutely delicious, I could not fault a single piece of food that passed my lips, it was a great way to spend Valentines Day as the atmosphere was romantic, the food was beautiful and the setting was intimate and calm. I would recommend this venue to a wide variety of people; friends or couples as long as you have a love of food.
I found the set menu for V day to be a great value for money also, having an amuse bouche, starter, palate cleanser, main meal and desert for just $70ea, we left totally stuffed and wishing we could eat more.

A must do Restaurant when in Perth!!!

2  Thank Maddison B
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

I came here with my wife for Valentines Day and we were both blown away. It would have to be one of the best (if not the best) meal we have enjoyed at a restaurant in Perth. And that says a lot since we have been to plenty. Food was prepared with immense love, care and pride. Both technique and flavour were flawless. And to top it off the service was impeccable. I can't wait to go back.

1  Thank Travel_with_Bender