“Only ok”

Ranked #151 of 1,432 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Tucked within the historic facade of Perth's Brookfield Place lies The Heritage Wine Bar; a thoroughly modern drinking and dining experience. We love wine and we want you to love wine. In keeping with our 'everything for everyone' ethos we offer all of the bottles on our eclectic and considered list by the glass, carafe and to takeaway. Come for the wine and stay for the food. Our kitchen team have put together a selection of uncomplicated and sophisticated, locally focussed small and large plates specifically designed to complement our liquid offerings.
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Four of us went to The Heritage after hearing good things about it. Really liked the decor, but the lighting was too bright for dinner and the a/c was cranked up too high and it was a bit chilly.

The service was attentive in the beginning, but somewhat petered off and the opportunity was missed to sell us more drinks. The food was good, but not great. The Wiener schnitzel needed seasoning and the pork belly crackling was a bit chewy, but still nice meals. The hot fudge sundae was good, but I thought it needed twice as much of the hot fudge than was served.

Overall we were a bit disappointed and don't think we'll be racing back there.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

The restaurant has an appealing interior. The tuna nicoise salad was excellent, which we shared, wines by the glass were good, The main courses were a disappointment, I had roast beef, the special of the day, which consisted of a a steak sliced on top of a bed or courgettes and baby potatoes, not very appealing dish. My husband had the tuna which was served on a bed of very tough spinach and the tuna was very average.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Judging by the reviews in here I hadn't expected the Heritage to be great. But we happened to be at the Print Hall this friday evening having drinks and wondering where to have dinner. The Print Hall was overwhelmingly noisy and busy so we ducked across to the Heritage for food instead. Although it was a Friday evening we (3 of us ) were seated seated quickly and menus brought over immediately. It's possible that the bad reviews came from a night when the floor staff were not the same ones as we had. On the night we visited the service was impeccable. Especially the young scottish waitress. As we ordered some wine, champagne and sparkling water I requested a dozen oysters while we were perusing the menus. These were bought to us within 5 minutes. Exactly how we wanted as it gave us time to enjoy them while discussing the menu. The oysters were spectacular. They were cut but unturned. The shells were brimming with oyster liquor which was a good sign. For mains we decided on the fillet with pepper sauce, sirloin and bernaise and I had the pork belly. As we waited for the mains we decided to have a steak tartare to share. We flagged down our waitress and ordered it. Once again it was bought to us promptly. I think this dish was probably the low point of the meal. Having eaten it in many restaurants I have a fairly good idea of how I like my steak tartare. I make it quite often at home too. The raw egg on top is a nice traditional touch. The meat was cut into large dice but the strange dressing on the meat is not one I have tried before and to be honest would be keen to eat again in a hurry. However when the mains arrived they more than made up for it. My partners sirloin was cooked slightly more than the medium rare as requested but was still outstanding. It was seasoned well and the outside had great charred flavour. Our friends fillet was also as a great fillet should be. Tender and moist. The sides that came were also brilliant. I can highly recommend the tomatoes with tuna mayonnaise. Strange as it sounds it was absolutely delicious. My pork belly was so much better than the one I had a few weeks ago at a certain east perth cafe. Not only was the Heritage pork belly dish head and shoulders above the other, it even cost less! The pork was beautifully crisp on top with hardly any fat between the meat and skin. The meat succulent and came with a meaty reduction. The crumbed rillettes were a cute accompaniment to the pork although I didn't think the cabbage worked as well. The chips came with a very good aioli. A very satisfying meal.
Between us we ordered the creme brulee, the hot fudge sundae and some roquefort. The creme brulee was textbook perfect and a generous size too. The sundae was pure theatre. A disk of dark chocolate covered the stemless glass. The waitress poured some hot sauce over the disk and we watched it melt over the sundae. Tres entertaining as well as delicious.
I also loved the way the meals were served to us. Plates were placed on a very large tray which was set upon a stand not unlike a hotel luggage rack. The meals were then served elegantly from this station.
Some people might think that the Heritage is expensive. And it probably is compared to your local asian but after the appalling meal we had at that certain east perth cafe/restaurant where prices were comparable, it seemed pretty good value. I would definately recommend the Heritage and am looking forward to my next visit there.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

It was just ok, Expensive for lunch and for the Perth climate the menu was disappointing. In 40 degree heat I would rather have a choice of salads than toasted sandwiches!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Never sets you off well when you're left standing just that bit too long to be seated when wait staff are passing back and forth ignoring you. Apart from that the food was good and the service good. Really am finding this new breed of city restaurant is so pleased with itself that the customer takes second place to the smugness of location. Found the trustee the same. Not urge perth has the population of city folk to really support this style obviously we're hoping we do!