“Couldn't be a better option!”
Review of Kangaroo Inn

Kangaroo Inn
Ranked #6 of 54 Specialty Lodging in Perth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed here in Sept for 4 days and it couldn't be a better option. The hostel is well maintained, clean and centrally located.

Stayed in the 2 bed private room. Rooms were clean, the share toilet and shower were kept clean throughout my stay and the kitchen was big and well equipped. And free wifi is offered although it can be abit slow.

I would definitely come back to stay if I'm back to Perth.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank philipgan
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Dear philipgan,

Thank you for staying at Kangaroo Inn and taking the time to write a review on us.

Nice to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you had a great time in Perth.

Thank you for your comments on the Free WiFi. We are looking at increasing the speeds =)

There are newer reviews for Kangaroo Inn

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed here to avoid the exorbitant hotel prices in central Perth, and I think I received a good value. I agree that compared with hostels in other parts of the world, the Kangaroo Inn isn't amazing, but it did feel quite clean and safe. This is not a party hostel and actually I might ding this place slightly for vibe -- the basement common area was thinly used and I found it difficult to meet people at this hostel. Meeting people, I feel, is part of the hostel experience, but people mostly kept to themselves here. Which, is quite alright if you're just looking for a place to crash. The WiFi was a bit slow too. But the desk staff was quite friendly and the location is very central.

Room Tip: The 4-bunk rooms are adequate but not large, so these might be worth the upgrade over the 6-bunk.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jrh825

Hey jrh825

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write your review.

Thank you for considering us a clean, safe and good value place to stay. Our housekeeping staff work very hard and we try to keep our prices as reasonable as possible =)

I had a chance to look at our guest list during the time period you indicated you stayed with us and we were quite reasonably occupied. Not sure why the basement was thinly used, can only say that the guests that happen to stay during that time didn't really use it the times you were there, rest assured almost all tables and lounge chairs are currently being used by guests currently =)

Also we are looking at increasing WiFi speeds and whether or not to place daily limits (currently unlimited) to avoid overuse.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I haven’t really stayed in many hostels in Australia, so I don’t have that much to compare with, but I’ve stayed in several in NZ and in comparison, I would say Kangaroo Inn would be quite average. It seems by reading other reviews that the standard in Australia is a bit lower in general. It really is difficult to find a hostel of decent price in Perth which is a quite pricey city. In that sense KI is a good place.

Location: The location is perfect in the middle of the city on one of the main streets. Could not be more convenient.

Staff: Lovely! Especially Alys who works during the nights. Super friendly when we arrived and really made us feel welcome all the time. She also bakes a lot, which is nice The other people in the reception is also very friendly and helpful.

The room: We had a private room with a bunk bed. It was quite small but perfectly enough. There were two small lockers and a desk and a chair. It would be great with some more hangers on the walls. Otherwise the room was fine.

Bathrooms: Two toilets and two showers for ladies and the same for men on each floor. VERY clean. Excellent.

Common areas: The kitchen is big and well equipped. Also the “dining room” is big and quite cozy with lots of papers to read, pool table and a TV corner.
The girl that cleans the place deserves all cred really. She truly keeps it spotless!

The downside of our stay was not really the hostel itself, but some guests that made you feel a bit uncomfortable. It felt like there were some really strange people there. Some children that seemed to be quite uncontrolled and made the toilets really disgusting. Luckily, the girl that cleans fixed it even in the evenings. Someone also stole one of our bags in the luggage room, which felt a bit awkward.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear Egus

Thank you for choosing to stay at Kangaroo Inn and thank you for taking the time to write a review on us.

Its wonderful to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for your suggestion on installing more hangers, I will look into installing more. =)

On your comments about other guests, I do apologise if there was any inconvenience or offence. We do encourage our guests to advise if there is an issue to contact any of our staff immediately, we always reserve the right to evict guests who are anti-social and will not hesitate in enforcing that right should we feel the need to.

On your lost luggage, also I do apologise on this, it rarely occurs and I'm sorry we couldn't recover it. Usually people accidentally take the wrong bag, especially if they were grocery type bags from Coles or Woolworths as they all look the same and realise it at the airport or their next stop.

Our luggage room is used at guest's own risks but we do have it CCTV monitored and there are 'anchor points' allowing your luggage to be tied up to the shelf (BYO cable and lock).

Hope to see you again and please do not hesitate to contact me directly on any other issues you may have.

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on the 13th Aug, called in to make last min reservation due to some emergency and the staff took down our booking and off we go, to this place.

Parking was a little problematic but its alright. Main things are that we are very pleased with the cleaniness, layout and cosy of this place.

We didnt really mind the small room as we just need it for the nite.

The kitchen and lounge area is well equipped. All you need is to get some grocery done somewhere and you can whipped up a meal.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Lawquek

Great to hear you liked our facilities. We now have parking facilities available onsite for an additional fee (not sure if it was available when you were hear) and we also have just finished making a manual as some of our initial guests did find it hard to find our carpark location.

Hope you stay with us again on your next visit to Perth

Reviewed July 23, 2013

When I came to Perth and checked into the Kangaroo Inn, I could not believe my luck. Not only was the price ridiculously good value, but my first impression was in regards to how immaculately clean the facilities were. Not really something you always get at backpackers' hostels.

Over our stay, the staff were super friendly and really helpful in all of our dealings with them. We enjoyed how close the accommodation was to the mall and restaurants, but also enjoyed our time in the Kangaroo Inn itself - there was a nice outdoor deck, as well as a basement common area with television, pool table, boardgames, magazines, couches, etc. By the end of our stay, the Kangaroo Inn definitely felt like home.

The next time I go to Perth, I would definitely look no further than the Kangaroo Inn and would not hesitate in recommending it to anybody who wants a cheap, but enjoyable roof over their head.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Molly M

Dear Molly,

Thank you taking the time to write a review on us. Great to hear you had good time during your stay at Kangaroo Inn and I hoped you had a chance to try some of the various restaurants and cafes around our area.

Thank you for recommending us to your friends we really appreciate it!

Until next time =)

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I am winding up a three night stay here and it will be difficult to top this hostel experience. Brand-new European fixtures in every space, unbeatable location, cheerful, helpful, and knowledgeable staff, a chic common area with massive billiard table, spacious kitchen, and even a luggage scale. And the place is kept almost antiseptically clean. Obviously, everything has been thought through. While the price is higher--I think the 6-person dorm beds start at $45--it is totally worth it the extra money. Wouldn't change a thing.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Bryant73

Hi Bryant,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on us.

Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I know it's a strange title, but it felt like that when I arrived at the Kangaroo Inn in April to begin a 2-month Bibbulmun Track walk. It doesn't look like a hostel at all, the lobby is just too clinically clean and bright and the living room at the basement is just huge, with sofas and rows of National Geographic and other magazines lining the shelves.

When I took the lift up to my room and the lift doors opened, I actually gasped at the view before me as the motion-activated halogen lights suddenly lit up the corridor. It looks straight out of a scene from Skyfall, like James Bond's underground lair. The lighting is THAT good. More about lighting later. I remember going back to the counter and telling the counter staff on duty that day, Jerry, that this place is SO NICE! I've never done this at any establishment. He looked nonplussed, probably because he was used to it. Two days later, I was at the lobby and another newly-arrived guest walked up to the counter staff and said, 'This place looks incredible.' True story.

I was supposed to spend two months walking 1000km with a 20kg load but after slipping at a steep incline at Mt Cooke at the 135km mark, I fractured my foot and decided to take an extended holiday to wait for the bone to grow back and stayed on at the Inn during this time, giving me the chance to test out the single, 2-bed share, and 6-bed share rooms, and every shower cubicle. (6, all good.)

I won't repeat the reviews already done by the other reviewers, the positive ones are all very accurate (why wouldn't they be?), and you'll just have to accept that the rooms are very clean, the mattresses soft and comfortable, and the doors heavy. Any time you go to a hotel or hostel with heavy doors, you know it's a good deal.

What I'll try to talk about is to give some explanation to this weird state of affairs; why is this hostel number one on the ratings chart just months after she opened? Firstly a bit of background. In recent years hotel prices Perth have risen quite a bit to the extent that you can't really find a reasonably good hotel with rates less than $200 a night. Just assume this is generally true for now, you can do your own verification later. Now this is quite expensive for a group of people who feel they don't need to pay for things they don't need that a hotel provides.

Traditionally, the next option is hostels. But the problem, at least for me, is the 'iffy factor'. The IF is about uncertainty. Uncertainty over cleanliness (1), over safety and security (2), and over how the rest of your bunk mates will behave and possibly wrecking your holiday (3). Hotels generally have control over the first and second points because they have more resources. The third is irrelevant (because it's generally not communal living.)

For hostels, because of the general inexpensive daily rates, the first and second points can be questionable, leading to a possible negative experience overall. Hence, most people, if they can afford it, tend to stay in a hotel rather than a hostel if money was no object.

What Kangaroo Inn is doing very well is making sure, consistently in the 8 weeks I have been there, that points 1 and 2 are not negotiable. The place HAS to be clean, and it HAS to be safe for the guests 24 hours a day. The housekeeping is wonderful; I would even call the cleaning regime obsessive, on par with any hotel establishment. So that problem is licked. Then comes the problem that all hostel managers face. When the cleaning is done at the toilets say before noon everyday, what is there to make sure that the place isn't messed up by the time it gets to 9pm?

This is where things get interesting and I believe a lot of the good things that people say about the Inn is not just attributable to the good work of the housekeeping staff, but also of the guests KEEPING it that way.

That's where I think 'lighting' comes into play as I mentioned earlier. The easiest way to check whether a place is run down or not is to check the toilets. If it's clean most of the time at all hours, you know something is right. The toilets here use expensive appliances, and they look nice! And white halogen lights are used throughout which makes things look bright and shiny. I believe this contributes a lot to the tone of the place, and folks who want to play punk will be discouraged somewhat because who wants to spoil a nice place like this? ('broken windows theory')

There are other things in place that encourages 'good behaviour'. The cute 'warning letter' in the lift to 'not play punk' is one. Another example are the ample 'instructions' in the kitchen inviting guests to use whatever they wish, just try to clean up and wash the dishes afterwards. Realistically, not everyone will do this because of possible cultural differences (or laziness), but so far what I observed is that most 'regulars' will do it because it's quite natural, and the ones who don't are probably not aware of this 'hostel practice'. The tipping point into anarchy hasn't been reached, hence the continual good ratings.

The kitchen is another potential flashpoint. At the Inn, things are very well managed. The kitchen is open all day, and there are freezers and fridges to keep your supermarket shopping. Sticker labels with 3 provides are provided; name, room number and date of departure. Just stick a sticker on your plastic bag of food and you're all set. Stoves, microwaves, pans, utensils are all provided.

The guests here are also not the usual 'backpacker crowd'. I'm not saying that the young backpacker is prone to anti-social behaviour (I am one myself so I should know!) I'm just saying that the presence of 'adults' and oldies isn't a bad thing. And I've met lots of working people, FIFOs, and generally they don't make a mess of things. This then becomes the tone of the Inn, and it benefits everyone.

Of course the staff are a major factor too. Jon the manager/innkeeper runs a tight ship and he makes sure the staff are paid on time so they can provide the best service. You can't find a better set of people I must say. They are all super friendly and I don't think it's humanly possible to be more friendly. That would look pretty freaky.

On safety and security, the Inn utilises state-of-the-art-not-seen-in-Perth-hotels Abloy RFID Vingcard 'flash cards'. They are programmable and you just need to flash your card at the door to open it. The doors are really solid and heavy so a break-in is not exactly feasible. Everyone is allocated a cupboard (bring your own lock) big enough to fit in the 85-litre backpack that I use. At night, the front door is locked so it's pretty safe. Folks who are not guests are not allowed to hang around at night. There's a night caretaker on call at number 123 using the phone at the lobby.

Finally, let me address the price issue. It has been said that Kangaroo Inn is an expensive place. I think it is useful to note that Coke is ridiculously expensive in Perth, at more than $3.5 a bottle. A one-litre bottle of mineral water can go up to the same price! What I'm trying to say is that it may be worthwhile, when choosing between the Inn or a less expensive hostel, to realise that the difference may not be that much when you consider the high cost of daily necessities or hotel accommodation in general. If foregoing 2 bottles of Coke a day can get you a room at the Inn, I'd say go for it! :)

The bottom line is that if you're comfortable with the tariffs, or if you're not comfortable but still want a consistently comfortable and safe place to stay in Perth, the Inn should be at the top of your list. If not, let me propose that you take up just ONE night at the Inn, and see whether you want to extend the next day. But do take note of something I overheard the other day; the Kangaroo Inn 'is a trap!' :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank jeffreyyen
Innkeeper K, Owner at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Jeffrey,

WOW!!

I read your review and well frankly speaking I'm flabbergasted (in a very good way of course). I remember asking you if you had time to write a review on us and you said you will but...wow. My staff and I really and sincerely appreciate the time and kind words you have written on Kangaroo Inn.

You've nailed us on the head, what more can I say or add, except please do come back and tell us to your friends....also when your foot is fully healed I calculate you still have another 865km more to walk on the Bibbulmum. I wonder how many laps around Singapore island is that =)

Just also wanted to let you know that as soon as your review went live a walk-in guest arrived that very day and said to our Front Desk "...I had to try the hostel I've heard its like the James Bond movie Skyfall..." hahaha so thank you very much =)

Jon

P.S. Good luck with your studies =)