Kangaroo Inn
Mercure Perth(Perth)(Great Value!)
$117
$98
  • Restaurant
Four Points by Sheraton Perth(Perth)(Great Value!)
$110
$96
  • Restaurant
Fraser Suites Perth(Perth)(Great Value!)
$126
$103
  • Pool
Adina Apartment Hotel Perth Barrack Plaza(Perth)(Great Value!)
$126
$99
Travelocity
  • Room Service
Pensione Hotel Perth(Perth)(Great Value!)
$80
$59
  • Room Service
Hyatt Regency Perth(Perth)(Great Value!)
$209
$116
Trip.com
Duxton Hotel(Perth)(Great Value!)
$175
$170
Travelocity
  • Pool
Miss Maud Hotel(Perth)(Great Value!)
$125
$92
  • Breakfast included
$62
$53
Agoda.com
All reviewssingle roomhuge kitchenfree wifibasement loungelarge common areashared bathroomgreat common roomfull size pool tablemurray streetnice facilitiespedestrian mallspent three nightscomfortable bedsstorage spacebig tvhour receptionother guests
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I cannot fault this hostel one bit. This is now my sixth week staying here. It is right in the heart of the city and virtually a 5 minute walk to the shopping precinct, restaurants, etc. Plus it is only a ten minute walk to the night life area of Northbridge. The staff in the hostel couldn't be more helpful in particular Jon the innkeeper and Alys who is one of the night caretakers. The reception and house keeping staff are also excellent. Your room is cleaned everyday and if you need fresh towels or bed sheets they are more than happy to supply them.

The place is very clean some people think it is expensive but you pay for what you get. I couldn't speak more highly of the hostel it is very clean and the housekeeping staff do a great job to ensure it stays like this. The kitchen facilities are also very good there is about 20 hobs between the 3 cookers, plus 3 ovens, 3 microwaves and two toasters. In addition to this it is free to use the cutlery, plates and pots unlike other hostels who charge a fee to use their items. In the basement there is a large sitting area, plus a number of couches so plenty of space for everyone, plus there is also a large pool table.

Some people have complained that the place lacks soul and atmosphere. I don't know where they stayed but it couldn't be here!! I have met so many people here and everyone of them has been great and like me many of them have stayed longer than originally planned. Many people that I have spoken to have stayed in as much as 10 hostels and have rated this the best.

If I am ever asked to recommend a hostel in Perth, Australia when I go back home to Scotland the Kangaroo Inn will definitely be mentioned.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Debbie M
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind words about our Inn.

I'm pleased to hear you that you are / have enjoyed your stay with us. It's always nice to know that our facilities are appreciated and enjoyed by our guests.

As you mentioned, we do charge a bit more than other establishments but with that you get better quality facilities and freedom with no curfews, key/towel/cutlery deposits and the like =)

Reviewed May 19, 2013

This backpacker is right in the centre of Perth CBD which is not a bad place to be for the river, shops, restaurants and easy 10 minute walk to Northbridge nightlife.

But I'm afraid the place lacks soul, atmosphere. There are nothing on the walls, either in the rooms or common areas, no tours, no bar, no communal area that's used (the only outdoor area had all its seats and tables packed away). It's not a great place for a single traveller ... not unless you're a monk.

The staff were friendly and do their best. I checked in and was assigned a private twin bed room on my own. The room was just like a prison cell - twin bunk, small, bare white walls, minimalist / functional cupboard - terrible. I had to ask to move rooms and thankfully they gave me a free upgrade to a better but still basic double room.

It has free wi-fi so I suppoe that's a plus.

But still, $100 per night for a basic double room (shared bathroom) in a slightly run down and dull backpackers - total rip off. If I were to come again, I'd probably stay at one of the backpackers up in Northbridge - seems livelier up there.

Room Tip: Don't choose the two-bed private rooms - they look like prison cells.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Zambezikid
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Zanbezikid,

Thank you for the time to write your review.

I also took the opportunity to read your other review sites on Perth. Its nice to see that you visited and were happy with most of the restaurants that we recommended to as I recall you were a bit apprehensive about being able to find Vegan friendly restaurants prior to your visit to Perth. You see, I directed one of my staff to find for you and then personally contact the restaurants to ensure they would’ve been of an acceptable calibre.

After 20 reviews, its sad to say you are Kangaroo Inn's first 2-dot rating. As part of my right to reply to your review, I would like to address a couple of the points you raised where you believe we deserve this rating:

Firstly, I must completely disagree with your comments that our premises are slightly run down for they are not. Kangaroo Inn is a new business, with new furniture, beds, linen, carpet, airconditioning, bathrooms and other facilities. We adhere to a strict maintenance regime which ensures our premises are kept clean and facilities kept in top order. We provide our guests with hotel grade linen, 4 star grade beds and all our rooms are fitted quality Daikin airconditioners. We have fitted our bathrooms with luxury Gustavsberg basins and Grohe tapware.

Please try and understand that Australia has one of the highest construction and labour costs in the world, and Perth is one of Australia’s highest if not the highest city with respect to such costs. As such, the cost to develop, run and maintain an accommodation business is much higher than in some neighbouring countries. That is why although $100 may be able to give you 5-star accommodation in places like Bali and Phuket, you often need to spend over $300 per night just for a 3-star hotel in Perth and usually in excess of $500 per night for a luxury 5-star establishment.

With this context in mind, here at Kangaroo Inn we believe we offer great value, and we have tried to specifically focus our resources on areas where our target market will appreciate and value the most. Instead of decorating the walls with artwork, we invested in luxury 4-star grade mattresses over the thin campsite style mattresses some of our competitors use, install LED reading lights in our shared rooms and provide all rooms with reverse cycle airconditioning. We also continually spend time and resources to ensure our bathroom facilities are kept clean and functional.

Yes our rooms feel small, but that's because we have provided our guests with king single and queen sized beds, which are longer and wider than the standard single and double beds which are more commonly found elsewhere. Our bunk beds are sturdy, strong and functional, minimising any squeaking during the night. The beds uses steel slats welded onto the frame thus eliminating any uncomfortable sagging of the mattresses or movement of the slats.

On the Common Areas and their usage, it appears you may have arrived when the other guests may have been out and about. We get all sorts of travellers, including those that travel solo. Some meet new friends during their stay and indeed a large majority use our kitchen and dining facilities to create magnificent feasts and to create a truly enjoyable communal atmosphere. Our reading areas with free magazines, billard table and home theatre areas are also available for use.

On your comment with respect to the outdoor area, the chairs were stacked up because during the past month, rain has been fairly frequent and we've also had a few thunderstorms and gale force winds, so we had put the furniture aside for safety reasons until the weather cleared. You were more than welcome to use the chairs and sofas if you wanted to, if only you had asked.

Although we do not have a bar onsite, there are at least 4 bars around our block. Also some of Perth’s best small bars are just a short walk away and Northbridge is within walking distance. The lack of a bar also gives our guests the freedom to purchase their own beverages; other places with in-house bars do not usually allow for this.

Our front desk Staff would have been more than happy to refer you to tour companies (within walking distance) or guide you to particular places of interest. Although some other establishments take the route of getting paid commissions by selling tours, at present we prefer to direct our guests to those tour companies that we are comfortable in dealing without any money changing hands. Again, if only you had asked that you were looking for these things we would have been more than happy to assist.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for any other concerns you may have.

Kind Regards

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights in the Kangaroo Inn and it was a very nice experience. First of all there is the splendid setting in the middle of Perth but yet very calm. And then there were the beautiful and clean facilities : nice rooms, well equipped kitchen (keep it that way backpackers!!) and the comfortable sitting room. But I was most impressed by the friendliness of the staff and their willingness to help you out. Thanks to all! Also to the manager who tried to make you feel as comfortable as possible.
Okay, it is a bit more expensive than some other hostels but it is really worth the money. So I would say : if you have the chance to stay here : do it!!!
Gloria from Belgium

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Gloria V
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Hi Gloria,

Thank you for your kind words on our place.

Its great to hear you had a good time and enjoyed the use of our facilities.

I know whats it like being a traveller; so my staff and I aim to provide you with quality and friendly service so we can make your stay as enjoyable and pleasant as it can be. I'm pleased that we have met your expectations, we will strive to continue this for our future guests.

Happy Travelling!

Cheers,

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I really like this place and my very first staying this place as well. My first impression is friendly staffs, and every one of them are very helpful. Also, I have to mentioned (I don’t know the name) I asked him when I can check in and he said that 2.30pm. well, I told him, If the room is clean?? Can I check in now, The time was 11am. He check the time and said yea you can check in, It is great customer care coz it does not cost nothing both side.

I would say, rooms are expensive, if the six bed room $60 per night. But $45 is great price.
Room and toilet are very clean and would able to use as ur plate.

I think, If they able to add tiny gym and power extension code for every room would be great.

T navarathna, Room 100

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Innkeeper K, General Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear JohnnieWalker255

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review.

Its nice to hear our Front Desk staff served you well. We aim to assist where we can, although we can't always guarantee an early check-in we try our best, especially considering some guests have just disembarked from a 10+ hour plane/train/bus trip.

We would have loved to fit in a home gym but alas we don't have any space. However, there are a couple of gyms and boxing clubs within walking distance to Kangaroo Inn and some of them do offer casual entry. Also free gym equipment are located in some of Perth's parks and Kings Park is only up the road for a good cardio work out.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Kangaroo is situated bang in the city centre! Awesome facilities for people willing to cook or even just to integrate with other residents. Very safe and easy to store your belongings. The dorms can be viewed as slightly small but there are plenty of other places to hang out, such as the huge basement, the study room or the outdoor veranda. I had a very enjoyable stay and the innkeeper Jon is very approachable if you have any problems. Be wary of the assistant manager though, she'll expect you to eat her baking after you've eaten your dinner, so keep some room free as she rarely disappoints and may tear up if you decline a chocolate meringue. Also, never drink apple juice left in the "free shelf" as you're asking for trouble!!

• Stayed: January 2013
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Hi SecretMilli0naire,

Thank you for your review.

Nice to hear you had a good time!

I'll make sure any Apple Juice on the free shelf in future will be discarded. =P

Also I'll pass on your comments to Alys on her baking which I'm sure she'll appreciate.