“Good value for money”

Kangaroo Inn
Ranked #6 of 52 Specialty Lodging in Perth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 24, 2013

It is pricier than the other hostels definitely. But an extra 20$ makes such a huge difference! Clean comfortable beds, clean showers, clean kitchens....plus extra nightlight so you don't wake up the entire room etc. friendly staff. Good location! Only downside is the hot water....it seems to cut off sometimes?(but does come back) also, my room was next to the lift, so it was kind of noisy (it's an old lift) but not a huge issue. Definitely worth it!

Room Tip: Perhaps request for one not next to the lift?
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Chloe S.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on us.

Great to hear you had a good time with us.

Thank you for mentioning about the hot water. I will get a plumber to check it out, it shouldn't be cutting off like that. We are also looking at ways at minimising the elevator noise as well.

Cheers,

There are newer reviews for Kangaroo Inn

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Kangaroo Inn was the highlight of my vacation in Perth! Who would have thought my accommodations during my trip here to be so memorable? The staff were excellent, place super clean, bed oh so comfortable and their common rooms were ideal places to hang out and meet the other guests. Location of the inn is excellent for it is right smack in town, making it easy to get around. The kitchen is FANTASTIC!! Totally recommend Kangaroo Inn to everyone!!
So Jon, Alys, Andrea, Stella, German Andrea and all other staff of Kangaroo Inn:- Thank you very much for my wonderful stay!

• Stayed: February 2013
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words!

It pleases me and my staff to hear that you had a great time =)

I hope we see you again in the near future!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Put simply, Kangaroo Inn is your home away from home. Nothing else can describe the down-to-the-earth relaxing atmosphere of this place. When I first viewed the photos on their website I was sceptical about the quality; everything just looked too good to be true. The location, the services, the price, the friendliness of all the staff (including Jon the owner). This is my home away from home and I will definitely be staying here each time I come to Perth in the future. Thankyou Kangaroo Inn :)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Hi Corkey5426

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We really appreciate your comments and we will strive to consistently provide our guests with the same quality of service that you experienced.

My team and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Kangaroo inn is a brand new hostel in Perth. it looks more like a hotel, it doesn't have the vibe of a backpackers. But it's very clean. Free wifi, free computers in the lobby. I stayed in an ensuit dorm with AC, reading light for each bed, lockers. Centrally located, easy walk to train station and Northbridge. Reception closes at 7:00PM.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind review.

Its good to know you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed our facilities.

I know different countries have difference translations of the word ensuite, I'd thouht I'd just clarify for the benefit of readers that we only have shared bathroom but they are private with partitions and lockable doors.

As for the Reception closing at 7pm on weekdays, we do also have night caretakers on duty throughout the night to assist you where we can including attending to late night check-ins should a guest require it.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here in January for a week. Stayed in a two bedroom bunk room and cannot fault the cleanliness of this place. I have seen the staff clean the toilets and shower rooms at least once if not twice a day, you see staff clean constantly throughout the day. There is a tv / socialable area in the basement, very comfortable big sofas. There is a large snooker table that people play pool on which is very difficult as it is a snooker table not a pool table. There is free wifi although only two computers, but most people tend to have a laptop / ipad. Different class of travellers here very respectful and this may be down to the fact there is NO bar OR cafe here, kitchen area with fridges though are ok. Although again it is in the middle of the city so lots of places about. The only fault that i found is that they put male and females together and I have never heard of this in a hostel. On the first day that I arrived they placed me a young girl in a room with an old german man around 70, i thought this was weird and asked to be moved to a room with another girl as I was paying that bit extra. I was placed in a room with another girl which was fine although she moved out after two days and then they put a 45 year old fella from Switzerland in with me who was quite weird. I only had a few days left so did not wish to complain again, I found that this was a very uncomfortable stay for this reason, i would recommend this place due to cleanliness etc but would either suggest staying with friends or if a lone traveller and especially female I would advise to take a single room and pay that bit extra.

Room Tip: if single female choose a single room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Irishgirl987
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time in writing your review.

On the billiard table, we find that it presents a good challenge for our guests as well as a treat as we found that it's rare for people in general to get an opportunity to play on a full sized billiard table.

With regards to the mixed gender arrangement in our shared rooms, we try our best to put people in with the same gender where possible. However, as we are only a small establishment, during busy periods this is not always possible. In future, please do not hesitate to contact our front desk should you wish to move rooms and we will try our best accommodate your request if we are able to.

Also I thought I'd clarify our position. Given that there is a general shortage of budget accommodation in Perth we feel that it is only right that we give people the opportunity to stay with us if we have a bed free, as the next step up from us, has according to some of our past guests, meant that they have had to pay in excess of $300 per room per night for a room in a three star hotel. As you can appreciate, this would put a dent in the budgets of many travellers young and old so where we can assist we try to. I hope you understand =)

Thank you again for your review and staying at Kangaroo Inn.

Kind Regards

-Innkeeper

Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a few weeks.
Great place. The night porter is great she is the reason people will return to stay. She is friendly , chats to people and will help you out in any way.
Great facilities and the kitchen is the best I have seen in a hostel

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Mel123_h

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments about our lovely Night Caretaker Alys.

I will make sure your comments get backs to her.

Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

very clean bathrooms, new and modern, nice basement area with big kitchen and everything u may need. rooms with all new furniture. we were in a room that fit perfectly the two of us. not so much room left, but honestly, what do u need it for in a hostel as long as u have a king Size bed, desk and lockers? amazing! happy to find it!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank lalinadp
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Hi Lalinadp!

Thank you for your review.

Great to hear you enjoyed our king single beds and our facilities.

We've had such a great response from our guests who are travelling together for these rooms so your review is much appreciated.

See you next time =)