“A rare gem that is finally getting the recipe right for backpackers”
Review of Kangaroo Inn

Kangaroo Inn
Ranked #6 of 55 Specialty Lodging in Perth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I needed somewhere decent, good value and NOT party central for a few days to access work in the city. Being a shift -worker is not ideal to stay in backpacker accommodation, but I had a limited budget. After reviewing many hotels and hostels, I accidently stumbled upon this one. Of ALL the hostels I have stayed in around the world, the owners/managers of this place are getting things right. It is not perfect yet, but it is getting damn close. Yes, it is a little tricky to find, but the management is working on better signage. Thank goodness anyway, cause I don't want this place to be discovered and ruined by the masses. Only open since late last year, they are not super busy yet. Everyone of the staff here are friendly and helpful; nothing is too much trouble. In fact, if you are really lucky the night porter will offer you some mouthwatering cookies freshly baked on the premises.The rooms are a little tight on space, but the delightfully comfy beds soon have you forgetting about all that and a welcome relief from the sorry states of previous mattress that I have had the 'not so pleasant' sleep on.There is air-conditioning available, good decent sized lockers and a small ledge and reading light. The whole place is spotlessly clean, including the bathrooms as well. There is a fantastic basement lounge with huge, comfy sofas, loads of magazines to read and a massive snooker table I am still trying to figure out how they got it there.There is a good sized kitchen with plenty of storage space, big fridge, freezers and plenty of cooking equipment to cook up a feast.

The ONLY negatives, and these are minor annoyances anyway are lack of power points besides the beds. The are currently located near the door only, so it makes it unsafe to leave your equipment on charge unattended. The steps to the top bunks are a killer on your feet, to the point where it was so painful that I requested a swap to the bottom bunk.

Well done KI, see you again this weekend.

Room Tip: Just down from the Murray Street Mall, look for the bright yellow Good Sammy charity shop opposite t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank sthorne
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear sthorne,

Thank you for your time in writing the review.

I must say you do have an eye for detail! So i'm glad to hear Kangaroo Inn passed your test. As for how we got the snooker table down there, that's classified information =)

I also take on board your negative comments as well and see what we can do =)

Innkeeper

P.S. If you happen to also be the booking where we accidentally got the beds mixed up, again we are terribly sorry. I hope the alternative room we arranged for you was acceptable and I trust your mother also enjoyed the high speed WiFi on her tablet.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I arrived into Perth planning my big adventure and booked myself in for 2 weeks in a single room..
I ABSOLUTELY would recommend this place! Although being in a single room is pricey it was just what I needed - the rooms are pretty much soundproof I have NO trouble trying to get to sleep and the roller blind helped a lot with the morning light!

I never felt awkward walking around esp downstairs, everyone inc the staff are just so darn friendly! I did also enjoy Alys baking! Everyone is always interested in what you're up to so although I traveled alone I didn't feel it here!

The bathrooms were not what I was expecting, the water pressure and cleanliness was outstanding, like someone else said I pretty much never ran into anyone in there which is nice.
The basement is exactly what you see! The kitchen is of the highest standard, same with the lounge area.

If I ever do come back from my travels and need somewhere to stay.. I know where to go!
Also, apart from Naos which was close while I was there.. Insans cafe is the cheapest most delish food!

Overall a fantastic stay and the staff were always there to help me!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kate E

Dear Kate E

Great to hear your Big Adventure started well at Kangaroo Inn!

As you know we're a not a party hostel, but we try and make it a very sociable one; a friendly welcoming environment where you can make friends as well as meet interesting people on your travels, so its very nice to hear you've experienced it =)

Thank you for your time in writing a review for us and I wish you well in your travels.

Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

After having travelled australia for 3 months i felt i would treAt myself to so ething a little nicer. i only booked 2 nights initially as i was a little unsure about only 4 reviews and wasnt sure it would be worth the money. well it was! i stayed the rest of my time in perth here and would recommend it to anyone. It definitely isn't a party hostel but it wouldn't be at these prices! saying that i i had no problem meeting people and everyone was very friendly and sociable, having drinks downstairs. The bathrooms were lovely and I very rarely ever met anyone else in there! The free wifi worked perfectly a rare treat i find! and free access to computers. The staff are very quick to help if there is a problem. My only criticism would be the room size. I was in a 6 bed dorm which was a little cosy That being said it was definitely workable and I wouldn't let that put you off! Another huge bonus... Alice from reception bakes most nights and leaves cookies, cakes, flap jacks and all sorts out for the taking! Overall a fantastic stay, and the location was perfect too for the city, the beach is a bus ride away!

• Stayed: January 2013
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Lfb12345

Thank you for your kind and favorable review.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Kangaroo Inn and thank you for extending =)
I'll mention to Alys that you enjoyed her baking too!

Also, yes I agree with you that the 6-bed room is cosy. Its mainly due to the size of the 4 star hotel mattresses we installed, which are king single which are significantly longer and wider than a standard single bed Unfortunately this added size does make the room more cosy, but we think its worth it as you get a better and more comfortable nights rest.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

If this isn't backpacker heaven, then I must be spoilt!

Located on busy Murray street and near the station, KI is one of the newer establishments. Look for NAO Japanese restaurant as your reference.

Kitchens are excellent and so is the lounge room which has a massive flat screen tv. The billard table is free to play with, if there is any downside it's that the wifi keeps dropping out in my iPod device and needs complete re-logging in.

There is no doubt this place will be 'discovered' by lonely planet, so get in before the hoards arrive! Whilst it isn't the cheapest, I got outstanding value here.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank SwansMagicmoment2005
Innkeeper K, Owner at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Dear SwansMagicmoment2005,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on us as well as your favourable comments.

I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed our common areas, kitchen facilities and billiard table =)

Yes we will never be Perth's cheapest backpackers but we strive to give the best value. Pay a bit more and you get a whole lot more included, as well as none of those pesky hidden extras such as towel, key and cutlery deposits.

Thank you for mentioning your issue with the internet, I have increased the period before the 'timeout' feature activates to be a bit longer.

Enjoy your travels!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

After visiting a bunch of backpackers in perth, this is clearly my favourite.
It's a really nice place to stay.
Even though it's a bit more expensive than other places, (it more or less resembled a hotel room).
The kitchen was very nice, it has a great TV area, a snooker table and is located in the middle of town.

And there was a bunch of really nice people here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank RonnyBro
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear RonnyBro

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I really appreciate your comments and happy to see you had a great time at Kangaroo Inn.

Also wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed at the Kangaroo for 6 nights?Excellent location!Helpful staff and everything is brand new as it has just opened.There is free wifi too.Decent rooms and facilities.

There is no 24 hour reception though.

Our only complaint would be the above.In every hostel we have stayed in there have been ground rules which where adhered to as there was always somebody around.

A message to the management after our stay would be to have somebody around 24 hour.

There where people staying who had no consideration for other guests.Coming back drunk and rowdy in the early hours.I have no problem with this if they went straight to bed.But they stayed up to the early hours shouting and playing music,slamming doors talking on mobiles.

If you don't want this place to turn into party central and go down hill the i suggest you reinforce your rules which you now have in place.

There was also the issue of men in the ladies bathroom all related to the Friday and Sat night.

I think you dealt with the problem in the end and things where better on the Sunday.

Sad that it spoilt an otherwise excellent hostel stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Angusthescot
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear AngusTheScot,

Thank you for staying at Kangaroo Inn

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review on us. I'm happy that overall that you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed our facilities and our staff gave you helpful service.

I do apologise that your stay was disrupted by the unruly behaviour of a few guests. We take yours comments seriously on this incident. Please be advised that I personally spoke to the guests about the incident the next day as soon as I was made aware.

We have a Night Caretaker on site after Reception closes who would have attended to the issue immediately, but unfortunately in this instant they were not alerted and it may be possibly because guests didn't know how to reach the Night Caretaker which is an oversight on our part.

I am pleased to advise that since this incident, we have implemented a number of protocols:

1) We have made signage more prominent advising how our Night Caretaker can be contacted.

2) We have updated our Registration Process and Innkeeper House Rules which make it explicit that we reserve the right to evict guests who are anti-social at any time.

3) I have advised our Night Caretakers to keep an eye out for anti-social behaviour and to evict guests where necessary.

Thank you again for your feedback. My staff and I look forward to welcoming you back to Kangaroo Inn when you are next in Town.

Regards

Innkeeper @ Kangaroo Inn

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I started loosing my faith in Australia...I arrived two days ago, straightaway I cancelled my first reservation with the first backpackers place when I saw the room (more like a pig farm), then went to another one which was still horroristic. Then I found this place. One of the biggest relieves of my life!!! This is a new Inn, opened it's doors only today. Apparently I was their first tenant :) It's new, everything is new, comfortable wide beds even in the 6 person dorms, air conditioning, card access to the rooms. Toilets and showers are beutiful,new, perfect clean. There is a cosy reading room, a spacious, beautiful lounge/tv room with a huge flatscreen tv, billiard table, a large back garden with BBQ and sunbeds. New fully equipped kitchen, laundry, free WiFi. And again the quality and cleansiness is just like in any stars rated hotel. Fantastic value for the money. You'll have to pay a little more than at the "pig farms" but trust me it worths every single cents.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Sebestyen

Dear Sebestyen,

Thank you for your review.

I hope your stay at Kangaroo Inn made your holiday to Perth much more enjoyable. We aim to deliver value for money for our guests.

As you know we are not the cheapest budget accommodation around, but I'm sure you agree that the additional benefits such as free WiFi, BBQ facilities, 4-star hotel grade beds, clean facilities and the like more than make up for this.

Thank you again for your custom, and again thank you for the review.

Regards