“Very modern, comfortable and spacious room..”

Fraser Suites Perth
Ranked #11 of 65 Hotels in Perth
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Very modern, comfortable and spacious room..”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have stayed in Fraser for over a month, in a Deluxe suite. We had a one bedroom and living room together with little kitchen. I have generally enjoyed stay in Fraser, room was very big and view over the river and park was amazing. We also had our own washing machine and a drying machine, which was very convenient. Hotel stuff was friendly and helpful, although sometimes I had to wait until 5 pm for a housekeeping.
Hotel pool is OK, but nothing special, it is not the most cozy pool I have seen, but there was also sauna, which was nice. Gym was also OK, but not so exciting.
Location is very good, there is a bus station just across the street, which is still within the free zone. And there is a nice river park, with many trails for jogging or riding a bike.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from main street, or on a higher level,. There is also some building work around...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bernard T, General Manager at Fraser Suites Perth, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Lenka V,
Indeed a delight to have you stayed with us for over a month from Jan to Feb, 2013.
Heartening to know that you had an overall good stay with us and noting your comment on housekeeping. We should in future, check with you on your convenient housekeeping time on a daily/weekly basis so as to ensure that we do not impose in any way. I will take this back to the team.
We certainly look forward to your return visit.
Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
Reviewed March 9, 2013

It was a last minute decision to stay at Frasers Suites instead of the usual hotel on Adelaide Terrace. And after two-nights at the Suites, I’d say it was the right choice.

The suite that I stayed in was a spacious self-contained unit. The sitting area was generously sized so I didn’t feel cramped and claustrophobic like I normally do in a hotel room. I was lucky to get a unit that had windows facing the river, as well as a balcony facing the WACA! The quality of the furnishings, the toilet and toiletries were on par with any five-star hotel.

The facilities though are a mixed bag! The Gym is adequate but gets uncomfortably hot during the day when its full-length windows catch the sun! The F&B outlets are mostly empty, I suspect, because of the poor location.

Overall Fraser Suites is excellent value for money – which is a rarity for Perth.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bernard T, General Manager at Fraser Suites Perth, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear PonsSingapore,
I am delighted to have received your review and comments for your stay with us in February. It was good to know that you have appreciated the apartment assigned with the paranomic view of the WACA and Swan River.
Well noted on the temperture of the gym which we could have adjusted on a hot day.
We are actually at the start of the CBD which runs a 2.3km strip across Adeliade Terrace into St Georges Terrace. With the free public buses servicing the CBD area, a less than 5 minutes bus ride could take you well into the heart of the city.
Much appreciate your review and definitely look forward to welcoming you back in Perth.
Melbourne
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Fraser Suites offer the best hotel rooms I've experienced in Perth (although I haven't stayed at Crown since they took it over from Intercontinental). I had a 1 bedroom apartment which was of a good size, and had a definite luxurious feel. I had a light but delicious lunch in the restaurant, and the view from my 16th floor room of the Swan and CBD was fantastic.

However it's not perfect. Despite the big apartment and ample cupboard space, there's no case rack to put your bag on, you have to open it on the floor. There's no minibar. There's no valet parking, and carpark access is not particularly easy - through a set of traffic lights, round the corner behind the hotel (although lift access is easy). There's a pool, but it's small and indoors. And room service finishes at 9.30pm.

If you're looking for the complete hotel experience, with a good pool, book Crown or Hyatt. But if you want a great room, a good bed and a good view - this is it. Just bring some snacks.

Room Tip: Get a high floor and get a room facing the river.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank AFLtraveller
Bernard T, General Manager at Fraser Suites Perth, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear AFLtraveller,
I would like to thank you sincerely for the gracious and candid review which we will definitely review. I am glad that you have enjoyed the accommodation and light lunch at our restaurant.

Categorically, we are looking into some of your mentions and will be introducing some changes:-
- Luggage Rack. We are awaiting delivery so as to ensure that all of our apartments have them.
Currently, only some apartment type have them.
- Minibar will be available within March.
- Valet parking has been looked into as we speak and by March as well.
- Signage along Adelaide Terrace where you mentioned at the traffic lights. This will need some
work though. We will work with the City of Perth for possibly bringing up a sign there.
- Room Service will be revamped and extended from the current.

Once again, sincerely appreciative of your feedback and we look forward to having you soon to realize the changes.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I booked 2 nights thru Wotif in Sept ($239 1 bd suite) they were offering great deals for the opening and we had already booked our ticket to Perth for mid Feb so great timing as most of the other hotels in Perth city are quite old and still very expensive some don't even have pools not great in summer.

On arrival we were impressed to see that the foyer looked quite good our checkin went smoothly when we arrived in our room we were blown away they had upgraded us to a corner suite 1602 it had fab views in 3 different directions, across the WACA and up river towards the Casino down river towards Langley Park and up town so good for me as I have never been to Perth before.

The furniture was very modern and comfortable we had full size dining suite and a really nice kitchen. Our bedroom was large and offered the third view. The bathroom worked well for us it was not overly large but as the rest was who cares. We enjoyed the pool, spa and sauna everyday for around a hour I did not use the gym but it looked well equipped and was used by others each time we were down there. I would have liked the verandah to be open for some outside seating.

We enjoyed ourselves so much we stayed another day we could not get our extra day for the same price as Wotif but they did give us a good deal $360 for our $600 suite (Monday) so we were happy.

There are some downsides with this hotel but all fixable there is no compendium in the room so you don't know what they offer big mistake. There was no instructions for the stove top I could not get it to work there is no toaster strange considering it was a full kitchen so no toast for breakfast. The pillows in the bedroom were killers probably quite expensive but so uncomfortable way to high and firm my husbands neck became very sore it spoiled the start to his holiday he was in pain I slept right on the corner of mine (the bed was fine). The staff still needs more training on front desk they sometimes seemed unsure but I always found them friendly. Yes there is the free bus opposite but they did not have any timetables or info for which number we could catch and were they went to we let several buses go by when up town as we did not know which ones went by the hotel this could be in the compendium if they had one.

If I went back to Perth I would stay there again especially if you could get a good early deal.

Room Tip: 1602 great views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear jules8556,
We are indeed grateful to have you stay with us and post a review. We welcome your comments and delighted to know that the following mentions are currently being reviewed and will realize them very soon:-
- Compendium and Apartment Equipment guide
We are working on the compendium. The Apartment Equipment guide is currently in print and
should be available soon.
- We have already purchased the toasters and started to place them in from March 2. All
apartments should have them by March 5.
- Pillows. From previous comments, we have started to irradicate the pillows which were overly
stuffed. We should be able to complete this by March as we are going through the levels.
- Public Bus Schedule. Thank you for the recommendation. Will try to obtain one to be available.

No worries about packages in Perth. Feel free to look up our website for ongoing promotions available throughout the year. Alternatively do, let me know of your next intended stay.

I look forward to having the opportunity to meet with you in your next visit to Perth.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I was reading reviews for Fraser Suites while staying at this hotel, and only realised Fraser Suites was regarded as a 5 star hotel from reading the reviews. The hotel was organised for me, so I'm not aware of the price nor the type of room I was staying in. While I was staying for business purposes, it was on a leisurely basis and I was not on a strict schedule. While I tried not to let other reviews sway my opinion, I have to agree with some points other reviewers have said. This hotel is for the business traveller, not the leisure traveller.

First impressions are nice and the place looks sleek and modern. Each room has an electronic button near the entrance which changes on the outside to let housekeeping know whether or not you would like your room to be cleaned, which to be honest does look quite flash. Upon seeing this I was quite excited to see what other high-tech buttons the room had, however that button was the only thing.

I have a feeling the room I was staying in was just a studio room, as it only had a small sink kitchenette, not the full kitchen I have read described in some reviews. It did have a microwave, which I thought was fantastic as many times I have bought food I had wanted to heat up a little the next day but couldn't. It did however have a separate bedroom and living/dining area with two TVs. First glances in the bathroom were spectacular. Beautiful beige marble tiling up and down. Upon further glances I realised I could reach quite close to the mirror, so applying makeup would be a lot easier so this made me quite happy. But then, happiness turned into disappointment when I realised the reason why I was able to reach so close to the mirror --- there was hardly any bathroom counter space. The sink was either a wall-hung or pedestal sink (I can't remember which), which is a space saver and I soon realised that yes the bathroom was quite small. Wall hung/pedestal sinks is not something I'd expect from a 5 star hotel.

The bedroom contained what looked like a large king size bed. However upon lying down on it I realised it was actually two single beds pushed together to look like a king size bed. I tend to sleep on one side so this did not bother me, however if you were booking a king size bed and expecting a king size bed, I'd make sure it was a king size bed. Some of the light switches for the room were a little hard to find and the switch for the kitchenette was even partially hidden behind the tea basket lid. One feature I did appreciate though was the power socket located above the bedside table, probably purposely placed there for charging phones etc., so kudos on that. The hotel does also provide free internet and wifi access for the duration of your stay, which is quite incredible so kudos to that too.

My biggest gripe was the hotel's breakfast closing time. I do not know what time breakfast opens but breakfast closes at 9:30am. WHAT? 9:30am! Are you kidding me? I know it's not a cafe, but what hotel breakfast closes at 9:30am? Considering checkout time is 11am, the choice for closing breakfast at 9:30am is quite odd. This is one of the reasons why I think this hotel is more suited to business travellers with traditional 9 - 5 schedules. I missed breakfast on the first morning because of the unusual closing time. Second morning I strolled down to breakfast and was a little disappointed. Breakfast was included as part of my stay but if I had to pay for it, I wouldn't. Breakfast is quite average, the hot options included scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, sauteed mushrooms and hash browns. The breakfast sausage was tasty but the sauteed mushrooms had a bit of a lemony taste to it which I think was the dishwashing detergent residue left in the serving warmers. Sauteed mushrooms are my favourite part of hotel breakfasts and I usually go back for a second or even third helping, but the strange taste just put me off. I'd also like to point out a safety issue with the serving warmers, as I know the General Manager reads these reviews. The serving warmers which contain the hot food are not fixed into place. So when you open the lid, the entire serving warmer slides around the tiled surface and is in danger of falling if not careful. Perhaps a cloth placed underneath would prevent this. The cold breakfast options are alright. A selection of cereals, fruits and yoghurt, with a single tray of pastries/muffins and another tray of chocolate cake slices and what looked like a quiche slice. I found it odd to be serving chocolate cake at breakfast but I tried it anyway and it was quite nice. However the choc-chip muffin I took a bite of was dry and unedible. The dining area was nice, and had cloth linens which I thought were a nice touch. Finding the plates at the very start was a bit of a tricky challenge though. I walked here, and there, and here, and there but could not seem to find the plates. Finally I saw them underneath glass covers near the hot food area. I don't know why they need the glass covers because it makes them harder to spot, perhaps hygiene reason? But then why are the cereal bowls out in the open if that's the case? I was not the only one who had trouble finding the plates either. Just before leaving, I saw a lady walking around confused and she seemed to be looking for something so I steered her in the right direction.

The swimming pool and gym are nice features, which I had a quick peek at just before I left to check out. I wouldn't have had a quick look at the pool and gym but reading the reviews, I knew I had to have a look. The gym looks impressive, nice and modern with a good selection of modern equipment. But how to actually GO INTO the pool and gym was a challenge though. The first door was easy, pull. Done. Second door wouldn't budge. It said pull, and I pulled hard but did not want to risk damaging the door. I looked around and saw a card reader for a staff door but at the risk of looking stupid, I didn't try and swipe my card to see if it opened the pool/gym doors. A sign of instructions would've been nice.

All in all, I think this has been a comprehensive review. My biggest gripe was the breakfast closing times, however I was impressed with the free internet wifi access. Not a 5 star hotel though, I would expect more from a 5 star hotel.

1 Thank Tracey Z
Dear LiliesDaisies,
I am indeed gratified on the points that you have covered in your review which we take very seriously. You are right to say that I read and respond to every guest feedback. Thereafter, I will take it back to my team in view of constant improvements.
I delighted to inform that breakfast timing have been extended to 10:30am on weekdays and 11:00am on weekends with immediate effect.
I agree that there is work that needs to be done at the restaurant as you quite rightfully pointed out. We have almost completed our review in that area and together with your recommendations, will be bringing about the changes soonest.
I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to realize the changes and prehaps leave an impression on your next stay.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Three nights at the Fraser Suites was more than enough. I was dismayed by the many design flaws in the building, and especially in our room. And even more dismayed by the lack of professionalism of many of the staff. At very least, they all need to be sent to Smile School for a day. For the price paid, breakfast was a big disappointment, the coffee (when I finally got some) warm and insipid, and the range and quality of the buffet quite ordinary. My biggest frustration was the air-conditioning in our room: even on the lowest setting it delivered a cold blast of air right onto the bed, and the pillows. Simply had to turn it off, but sweltered all night.

Room Tip: Try and find another hotel before venturing here.
1 Thank Bob T
Bernard T, General Manager at Fraser Suites Perth, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Bob T,
Thank you for your review and comments on your recent stay.
I read with much regret to learn that you did not have a good stay with us.
I do apologise should our staff be short of providing the welcoming smile.
Appreciate your breakfast comment which we will take it onboard for review with my team.
We will definitely take a look again at the aircondioning air flow.
If it may be possible in your next visit to Perth, I'd be delighted with an opportunity to meet with you.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying for 2 nights at Fraser Suites last week. Love the building and the interior fit-out of this property! My 1 bedroom apartment was very spacious, comfortable and decorated in an understated modern style, with a wonderful water view and the Wacca. The bathroom was well equipped with a good supply of a range of quality toiletries. The bed was extremely comfortable. The lack of minibar did not concern me. The staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. The reception staff arranged several cabs for me during my stay, and did so with a smile and no fuss. I waited in the pleasant lounge area in the foyer and only ventured into the 40 degree heat outside when the cab arrived. The property has a great gym and an indoor heated pool and spa. Hotels in Perth are very expensive, and are often heavily booked. Fraser Suites is a great new addition to the Perth market. I shall return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bernard T, General Manager at Fraser Suites Perth, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear RosSydney_Australia,
Thank you for your posted review and comments on your recent stay.
I am delighted to hear that you had a good stay with us enjoying the new facilities and services.
No doubt that we will be around to welcome you back in your next trip to Perth.