“Fab room Fab view”

Ranked #11 of 65 Hotels in Perth
Sydney, Australia
“Fab room Fab view”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I booked 2 nights thru Wotif in Sept ($239 1 bd suite) they were offering great deals for the opening and we had already booked our ticket to Perth for mid Feb so great timing as most of the other hotels in Perth city are quite old and still very expensive some don't even have pools not great in summer.

On arrival we were impressed to see that the foyer looked quite good our checkin went smoothly when we arrived in our room we were blown away they had upgraded us to a corner suite 1602 it had fab views in 3 different directions, across the WACA and up river towards the Casino down river towards Langley Park and up town so good for me as I have never been to Perth before.

The furniture was very modern and comfortable we had full size dining suite and a really nice kitchen. Our bedroom was large and offered the third view. The bathroom worked well for us it was not overly large but as the rest was who cares. We enjoyed the pool, spa and sauna everyday for around a hour I did not use the gym but it looked well equipped and was used by others each time we were down there. I would have liked the verandah to be open for some outside seating.

We enjoyed ourselves so much we stayed another day we could not get our extra day for the same price as Wotif but they did give us a good deal $360 for our $600 suite (Monday) so we were happy.

There are some downsides with this hotel but all fixable there is no compendium in the room so you don't know what they offer big mistake. There was no instructions for the stove top I could not get it to work there is no toaster strange considering it was a full kitchen so no toast for breakfast. The pillows in the bedroom were killers probably quite expensive but so uncomfortable way to high and firm my husbands neck became very sore it spoiled the start to his holiday he was in pain I slept right on the corner of mine (the bed was fine). The staff still needs more training on front desk they sometimes seemed unsure but I always found them friendly. Yes there is the free bus opposite but they did not have any timetables or info for which number we could catch and were they went to we let several buses go by when up town as we did not know which ones went by the hotel this could be in the compendium if they had one.

If I went back to Perth I would stay there again especially if you could get a good early deal.

Room Tip: 1602 great views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bernard T, General Manager at Fraser Suites Perth, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear jules8556,
We are indeed grateful to have you stay with us and post a review. We welcome your comments and delighted to know that the following mentions are currently being reviewed and will realize them very soon:-
- Compendium and Apartment Equipment guide
We are working on the compendium. The Apartment Equipment guide is currently in print and
should be available soon.
- We have already purchased the toasters and started to place them in from March 2. All
apartments should have them by March 5.
- Pillows. From previous comments, we have started to irradicate the pillows which were overly
stuffed. We should be able to complete this by March as we are going through the levels.
- Public Bus Schedule. Thank you for the recommendation. Will try to obtain one to be available.

No worries about packages in Perth. Feel free to look up our website for ongoing promotions available throughout the year. Alternatively do, let me know of your next intended stay.

I look forward to having the opportunity to meet with you in your next visit to Perth.

Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I was reading reviews for Fraser Suites while staying at this hotel, and only realised Fraser Suites was regarded as a 5 star hotel from reading the reviews. The hotel was organised for me, so I'm not aware of the price nor the type of room I was staying in. While I was staying for business purposes, it was on a leisurely basis and I was not on a strict schedule. While I tried not to let other reviews sway my opinion, I have to agree with some points other reviewers have said. This hotel is for the business traveller, not the leisure traveller.

First impressions are nice and the place looks sleek and modern. Each room has an electronic button near the entrance which changes on the outside to let housekeeping know whether or not you would like your room to be cleaned, which to be honest does look quite flash. Upon seeing this I was quite excited to see what other high-tech buttons the room had, however that button was the only thing.

I have a feeling the room I was staying in was just a studio room, as it only had a small sink kitchenette, not the full kitchen I have read described in some reviews. It did have a microwave, which I thought was fantastic as many times I have bought food I had wanted to heat up a little the next day but couldn't. It did however have a separate bedroom and living/dining area with two TVs. First glances in the bathroom were spectacular. Beautiful beige marble tiling up and down. Upon further glances I realised I could reach quite close to the mirror, so applying makeup would be a lot easier so this made me quite happy. But then, happiness turned into disappointment when I realised the reason why I was able to reach so close to the mirror --- there was hardly any bathroom counter space. The sink was either a wall-hung or pedestal sink (I can't remember which), which is a space saver and I soon realised that yes the bathroom was quite small. Wall hung/pedestal sinks is not something I'd expect from a 5 star hotel.

The bedroom contained what looked like a large king size bed. However upon lying down on it I realised it was actually two single beds pushed together to look like a king size bed. I tend to sleep on one side so this did not bother me, however if you were booking a king size bed and expecting a king size bed, I'd make sure it was a king size bed. Some of the light switches for the room were a little hard to find and the switch for the kitchenette was even partially hidden behind the tea basket lid. One feature I did appreciate though was the power socket located above the bedside table, probably purposely placed there for charging phones etc., so kudos on that. The hotel does also provide free internet and wifi access for the duration of your stay, which is quite incredible so kudos to that too.

My biggest gripe was the hotel's breakfast closing time. I do not know what time breakfast opens but breakfast closes at 9:30am. WHAT? 9:30am! Are you kidding me? I know it's not a cafe, but what hotel breakfast closes at 9:30am? Considering checkout time is 11am, the choice for closing breakfast at 9:30am is quite odd. This is one of the reasons why I think this hotel is more suited to business travellers with traditional 9 - 5 schedules. I missed breakfast on the first morning because of the unusual closing time. Second morning I strolled down to breakfast and was a little disappointed. Breakfast was included as part of my stay but if I had to pay for it, I wouldn't. Breakfast is quite average, the hot options included scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, sauteed mushrooms and hash browns. The breakfast sausage was tasty but the sauteed mushrooms had a bit of a lemony taste to it which I think was the dishwashing detergent residue left in the serving warmers. Sauteed mushrooms are my favourite part of hotel breakfasts and I usually go back for a second or even third helping, but the strange taste just put me off. I'd also like to point out a safety issue with the serving warmers, as I know the General Manager reads these reviews. The serving warmers which contain the hot food are not fixed into place. So when you open the lid, the entire serving warmer slides around the tiled surface and is in danger of falling if not careful. Perhaps a cloth placed underneath would prevent this. The cold breakfast options are alright. A selection of cereals, fruits and yoghurt, with a single tray of pastries/muffins and another tray of chocolate cake slices and what looked like a quiche slice. I found it odd to be serving chocolate cake at breakfast but I tried it anyway and it was quite nice. However the choc-chip muffin I took a bite of was dry and unedible. The dining area was nice, and had cloth linens which I thought were a nice touch. Finding the plates at the very start was a bit of a tricky challenge though. I walked here, and there, and here, and there but could not seem to find the plates. Finally I saw them underneath glass covers near the hot food area. I don't know why they need the glass covers because it makes them harder to spot, perhaps hygiene reason? But then why are the cereal bowls out in the open if that's the case? I was not the only one who had trouble finding the plates either. Just before leaving, I saw a lady walking around confused and she seemed to be looking for something so I steered her in the right direction.

The swimming pool and gym are nice features, which I had a quick peek at just before I left to check out. I wouldn't have had a quick look at the pool and gym but reading the reviews, I knew I had to have a look. The gym looks impressive, nice and modern with a good selection of modern equipment. But how to actually GO INTO the pool and gym was a challenge though. The first door was easy, pull. Done. Second door wouldn't budge. It said pull, and I pulled hard but did not want to risk damaging the door. I looked around and saw a card reader for a staff door but at the risk of looking stupid, I didn't try and swipe my card to see if it opened the pool/gym doors. A sign of instructions would've been nice.

All in all, I think this has been a comprehensive review. My biggest gripe was the breakfast closing times, however I was impressed with the free internet wifi access. Not a 5 star hotel though, I would expect more from a 5 star hotel.

1 Thank Tracey Z
Dear LiliesDaisies,
I am indeed gratified on the points that you have covered in your review which we take very seriously. You are right to say that I read and respond to every guest feedback. Thereafter, I will take it back to my team in view of constant improvements.
I delighted to inform that breakfast timing have been extended to 10:30am on weekdays and 11:00am on weekends with immediate effect.
I agree that there is work that needs to be done at the restaurant as you quite rightfully pointed out. We have almost completed our review in that area and together with your recommendations, will be bringing about the changes soonest.
I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to realize the changes and prehaps leave an impression on your next stay.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Three nights at the Fraser Suites was more than enough. I was dismayed by the many design flaws in the building, and especially in our room. And even more dismayed by the lack of professionalism of many of the staff. At very least, they all need to be sent to Smile School for a day. For the price paid, breakfast was a big disappointment, the coffee (when I finally got some) warm and insipid, and the range and quality of the buffet quite ordinary. My biggest frustration was the air-conditioning in our room: even on the lowest setting it delivered a cold blast of air right onto the bed, and the pillows. Simply had to turn it off, but sweltered all night.

Room Tip: Try and find another hotel before venturing here.
1 Thank Bob T
Bernard T, General Manager at Fraser Suites Perth, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Bob T,
Thank you for your review and comments on your recent stay.
I read with much regret to learn that you did not have a good stay with us.
I do apologise should our staff be short of providing the welcoming smile.
Appreciate your breakfast comment which we will take it onboard for review with my team.
We will definitely take a look again at the aircondioning air flow.
If it may be possible in your next visit to Perth, I'd be delighted with an opportunity to meet with you.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying for 2 nights at Fraser Suites last week. Love the building and the interior fit-out of this property! My 1 bedroom apartment was very spacious, comfortable and decorated in an understated modern style, with a wonderful water view and the Wacca. The bathroom was well equipped with a good supply of a range of quality toiletries. The bed was extremely comfortable. The lack of minibar did not concern me. The staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. The reception staff arranged several cabs for me during my stay, and did so with a smile and no fuss. I waited in the pleasant lounge area in the foyer and only ventured into the 40 degree heat outside when the cab arrived. The property has a great gym and an indoor heated pool and spa. Hotels in Perth are very expensive, and are often heavily booked. Fraser Suites is a great new addition to the Perth market. I shall return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bernard T, General Manager at Fraser Suites Perth, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear RosSydney_Australia,
Thank you for your posted review and comments on your recent stay.
I am delighted to hear that you had a good stay with us enjoying the new facilities and services.
No doubt that we will be around to welcome you back in your next trip to Perth.
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

A mix up in my accommodation booking saw me have to take the only room available a the new Fraser suites ($730!) a big oil and gas conference saw every other room in Perth gone.
I arrive and they tell me they are 6 months old and a new 5 star hotel. I book a cab for the next morning, a wake up call and ask if I can get a rom service meal. I arrive at the room- nice, reasonably big but not what I would cause 'luxury'. I order a salad and a diet coke from room service and am old it will be 15-20 minutes. About 20 minute later the phone rings, I answer it but it goes straight to dial tone. This happens twice more. The message light comes on and I get a message from restaurant telling me they have run out of Caesar salad and to ring back ( interesting that a 5 star motel runs out of salad ingredients ). I ring back and am told that the guy I need to talk to I busy and he will ring back. I explain that the phone isn't working properly and put on hold. Eventually the gentleman comes on and says he can do a Cajun salad but not Caesar. By this time it's around 9.30 pm (70 minutes after I placed the order). I'm tied and hungry and agree to he Cajun salad. I wait another 50 minutes , ring back and ask where my meal is. About 5 minutes later an apologetic young man arrives with my meal. He offers his apologies and tells me the meal is free and I have a complimentary bottle of wine.
Ok - so everyone can have abad night - they've made an effort to make up for it. I can live with that. The meal was good, reasonably priced and the wine ok.
I jump into bed - has to be the hardest mattress in history and the pillows are not much better. I'm used to sleeping 'hard' but for a 5 star hotel - not even close.
Next morning no wake up call, no breakfast available. I grab the diet coke from last night for a quick caffeine hit and find its regular coke (argghhhhhhhh).
I go down stairs to check out. The staff are sitting around in armchairs looking quite dishevelled. I'm directed to one guy who directs me to the other who sends me back to the first guy. It's 5.30 am -there is only one other person in the lobby, they're not busy. When I finally get My account surprise surprise I've been charged for the meal. I explain what had happened but I'm told I must pay or the meal. My taxi has turned up, I'm tied, hungry and just want to get out of the place -so I pay up - $750 for the worst nights hotel accommodation I've ever had.
I'm not expecting much feedback from Fraser - maybe one of those trite apologies. What would be nice would be a complete refund!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Mark A
Dear Mark A,
Thank you for your posted review and comments.

It was good to have spoken with you on the phone and we look forward to welcoming you back.

sydney
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night in a studio room and thought it was a really comfortable stay. I have been coming to Perth for work for years and it is fair to say that Perth lacks new, fresh, modern hotels. This place, despite being slightly out of the CBD is a good option, the room service was delicious, and the service was fantastic. I used the gym too, which had all new equipment, again a nice change for Perth. Would recommend this place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bernard T, General Manager at Fraser Suites Perth, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear hookedontravel85,
Thank you ever so much for your favourable review and comments posted.

Indeed delighted to know that you have enjoyed our facilities and services. Much as we are at the start of CBD, I am happy to let you know that we are still within the Free Transit Zone where all travels on board public buses are free and to the end of town, is a mere 7 minutes away. If you may have time for a nice casual stroll, City Centre is but 15minutes away.

We are delighted to inform you that we have bicycles available for our guests for a nice ride down the riverside for the sunset.

Certainly look forward to your continued patronage.

Perth
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have been to this hotel twice this year and I am very pleased with service and amenities as well as the room. The staff are professional and helpful and the room is huge. The kitchen is a bonus so you don't have to venture too far for a quick meal and the free basement parking is extremely convenient. I will definitely be coming back soon. It's definitely the best hotel I have stayed in, in Perth. Even better than the newly refurbished Crown in Burswood not because of cost but because of the size of the room and the personalised service you receive.

Room Tip: One bedroom deluxe or executive. Room 1906 on the 19th floor is the best.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jason S,
Thank you indeed for the favourable posted review and comments.
We are delighted to know of your continured patronage and you were happy with the service levels.
We certainly look forward to your onward stays with us.